Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

What new airlines can we expect to Brisbane?

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:39 pm

Well Brisbane being selected to host the 2032 Summer Olympics, with unpredictable situations like a new pandemic or airline bankruptcies not being counted, what new airlines can we expect to start service there in the next 11 years?

Perhaps some Japan service? One of the big American three? More inter-pacific?

Thanks and God bless!

(PS; Trying to create a topic that generates more than 10 responses...lol!!)

x1234

Re: What new airlines can we expect to Brisbane?

Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:41 pm

HA serves BNE but not MEL but MEL is the 2nd most important Oceanian city after SYD due to corporates and multinationals. HA is already there for LCC travel to the Americas via HNL. A far fetch when travel recovers is BNE-DFW on QF/AA in addition to LAX/SFO.

dfw88

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:12 pm

I'm not sure about AA on either LAX or DFW to BNE, but with the QF JV it's not impossible. I'd bet that even if that doesn't happen (and I'd say the odds of it happening are below 50%) that we'll see some special AA Olympics flights for the few weeks around the Olympics (similar to the NRT-LAS flights that ran for CES for a few years pre-COVID).

Fuling

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:18 pm

JL returning would be a treat!
TG, KE and MU might attempt BNE year-round again.
QR being allowed to keep BNE permanently post border opening.
AA to DFW as mentioned above.
Otherwise I can't see many others coming in. Hope I'm wrong though.

foxecho

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:35 pm

I really wish DL would run from LA to Brisbane... have good friends on Gold Coast just a pipe dream at this point...

Andrew
Retired JFK/MEM/MCI/SYR/ABQ/

TWA772LR

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 pm

If covid ever goes away in a capacity to allow, UA should hit up SFO/LAX-BNE.

Kent350787

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:16 pm

Given everything that's happened in the last 10 years, predicting 11 ahead is impossible. For BNE, the more important question at this stage is what will come back (or stay - QR) post-pandemic. Brisbane/Gold Coast is our third largest urban area by pop, but is still only around half SYD or MEL. SYD lost carriers immediately post-2000, but much of that was due to ME3 growth and Euro carriers dropping.

Maybe one US carrier with a seasonal service, apart from HA. Another Chinese carrier if the proxy war settles down. And perhaps seasonal Japanese servcies.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:57 pm

I don't see any of the US3 adding any service between BNE and the US, at least until COVID is either under control or vaccinations are at critical mass levels in both the US and Australia and traffic is restored. The most logical additions on BNE in the further future in my mind would be AA (LAX, or DFW), then UA (SFO), and finally DL, out of LAX. I don't see this happening though.

myki

Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:55 am

x1234 wrote:
HA serves BNE but not MEL but MEL is the 2nd most important Oceanian city after SYD due to corporates and multinationals.

AKL as the defacto capital of the pacific may argue it is more important than MEL, but I digress from the topic of aviation.
Happy to be corrected, I recall vaguely something about some deal made with BNE or the Queensland government about maintenance in BNE and this is why HA fly there instead of MEL. Perhaps someone else can add to this?

Kent350787

Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:54 am

myki wrote:
x1234 wrote:
HA serves BNE but not MEL but MEL is the 2nd most important Oceanian city after SYD due to corporates and multinationals.

AKL as the defacto capital of the pacific may argue it is more important than MEL, but I digress from the topic of aviation.
Happy to be corrected, I recall vaguely something about some deal made with BNE or the Queensland government about maintenance in BNE and this is why HA fly there instead of MEL. Perhaps someone else can add to this?

QF did three contracted A330 H checks for HA in BNE in 2016-17. I don't know that this went any further.

HA and VA had a number of codeshare and interlining arrangements, but these didn't preference BNE.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:24 am

I think AirAsia in one or another variety would be a welcome addition to Brisbane. Possibly AirAsia X as it's quite a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Brisbane.

Scoot is another possibility, although I doubt if they'd share the route with their parent airline Singapore Airlines which already flies between Singapore and Brisbane.

I also expect Korean Air or Asiana to start a route as currently Brisbane is unserved from Seoul.

eta unknown

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Firstly I expect BNE to lose a few more before they gain:
IMO China Eastern (seasonal), Hainan, Hawaiian (route wasn't doing that well compared to when launched during the mining boom and high A$) will go
Malindo will be replaced with Batik
Qatar will get their long wanted permanent traffic rights

Air Asia X: won't happen- there were already some issues with the OOL route before their current financial problems
Scoot: serves OOL because SQ parent wants them to- SQ does not want Scoot in BNE.
Korean: they just canned BNE. Maybe they will come back or maybe with Air Premia

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm

A few have said KE canned BNE, when did this officially happen?

MH pulled out, Will TG come back or survive?

If VA don’t relaunch Long haul, could DL run LAX-BNE? AA does seem impossible long term we are talking with the QF JV from DFW or LAX, UA have added a few leisure routes maybe SFO/LAX-BNE isn’t out of the question long term.

eta unknown

Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:54 pm

Don't always expect press releases when routes get cancelled- sometimes it's hush-hush and the destination gets quietly removed from the website. IIRC in BNE everyone at AC, HA, KE, TG was terminated. I never heard anything about MH, but Malindo barely exists now- I doubt they have the aircraft available to relaunch most of their Australian flights.

DL could have done lots of things years ago with a healthier VA partnership- they're not interested in expanding with their own metal and never have been.

chonetsao

Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:53 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
MH pulled out, Will TG come back or survive?

TG will reduce its fleet from 103 to 86. See: https://www.reuters.com/business/aerosp ... 021-05-19/

With this reduction, I just don't see TG maintain BNE. That being said, there is nothing stop TG to try BKK-BNE-AKL-BKK and BKK-AKL-BNE-BKK triangle route on a twice weekly or thrice weekly basis.

ZK-NBT

Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:49 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Don't always expect press releases when routes get cancelled- sometimes it's hush-hush and the destination gets quietly removed from the website. IIRC in BNE everyone at AC, HA, KE, TG was terminated. I never heard anything about MH, but Malindo barely exists now- I doubt they have the aircraft available to relaunch most of their Australian flights.

DL could have done lots of things years ago with a healthier VA partnership- they're not interested in expanding with their own metal and never have been.

What does an airline need minimum to restart? A station manager? A small handful of agents or ground staff? Obviously ptherers to

LachieTheMaddog

Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:03 am

I think UA might be a chance, with TG out, our only Star Alliance airline in BNE is ANZ. There's also lots of UA equipment around the International terminal such as ULDs.
I can definitely see JAL trying to wedge back in permanently, and if Qantas re-launches NRT flights, JAL could easily restart JL777 (KIX-BNE-SYD-KIX).
Wasn't Air Canada supposed to restart flights in like October last year?

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:28 am

LachieTheMaddog wrote:
I think UA might be a chance, with TG out, our only Star Alliance airline in BNE is ANZ. There's also lots of UA equipment around the International terminal such as ULDs.
I can definitely see JAL trying to wedge back in permanently, and if Qantas re-launches NRT flights, JAL could easily restart JL777 (KIX-BNE-SYD-KIX).
Wasn't Air Canada supposed to restart flights in like October last year?

How about SQ and BR? I think you are missing those 2 star alliance carriers.

JL, hmm QF are meant to move the BNE service to HND, tbh I wouldn’t see JL from KIX, that route effectively moved to OOL and JQ without the SYD stop.

No idea on AC restarting but, they are running freight to SYD/MEL/AKL no idea what freight is like to BNE? They haven’t done it yet so it would seem unlikely?

LachieTheMaddog

Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:50 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
\

Sorry, I forgot about EVA. I didn't include SQ as I think they're only operating cargo flights now (I think), but you're right they are a scheduled Star Alliance member into BNE.
Do/did the JQ 787s fly into KIX? I thought they flew to NRT.

This is the first time I've ever seen people discuss Brisbane Airport so much, it's so interesting to read different people's opinions on BNE!

ZK-NBT

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:24 am

LachieTheMaddog wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
\

Sorry, I forgot about EVA. I didn't include SQ as I think they're only operating cargo flights now (I think), but you're right they are a scheduled Star Alliance member into BNE.

This is the first time I've ever seen people discuss Brisbane Airport so much, it's so interesting to read different people's opinions on BNE!

JQ certainly flew to KIX can’t recall if it was ex CNS or OOL or both.

eurotrader85

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:20 am

EY to return. Even with a reduced fleet, you would have thought BNE should certainly make sense for TG in normal times.

eta unknown

Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:32 pm

TG was struggling with BNE- the 787 extended a lifeline due to the far cheaper operating costs. There are destinations in an airline's network that generate demand and then there are marginal routes that contribute to the overall network. SYD/MEL fall into the first category, BNE into the latter.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:47 pm

LachieTheMaddog wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
\

Perhaps cause of the Olympics... :)

Fuling

Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:27 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
LachieTheMaddog wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
\

JQ certainly flew to KIX can’t recall if it was ex CNS or OOL or both.

JQ went to NRT from both CNS and OOL, and KIX from CNS. OOL-ICN was also announced in late 2019 but not sure if it took off.

melpax

Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:47 am

The planned terminal redevelopment at BNE will most likely be brought forward, and wouldn't suprise me if the existing international terminal is kept open for overflow during the games. I would expect that the other 2 South-East Queensland airports (OOL & MCY) will get upgrades, OOL also has international ops. But both airports are constrained by their locations, whereas BNE wouldn't have NIMBY considerations due to it's size & not having homes in it's vicinity.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 57wmn.html