Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

What are your thoughts on lower fuselage outer opening versus inward opening plug type cargo doors?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:20 am

I've often wondered whether it was a good idea to use outward opening lower cargo doors in place of plug type doors.

The first jetliner I noticed that had outward opening lower cargo doors was the Boeing 727-200. Not sure it was the first though since I don't know much about European types. ??? Photos I have looked at seem to show that the Boeing 707, 720 and 727-100 all had plug type lower fuselage cargo doors.

Obviously outward opening cargo doors provide more room for cargo and revenue for airlines, but it seems the problems with them, which admittedly are not all design related, give one pause. Or it least give me pause.

As far as I know, Boeing has used outward opening lower cargo doors for decades with only one really major problem on a Boeing 747. And maybe that is the answer. And the Lockheed Tristar did not ever suffer from a major incident. The DC-10 had major problems but there have not been any major incidents since those were finally remedied.

What is your opinion on the pros and cons of outward opening lower fuselage cargo doors? Thanks one and all for you responses.

UARNO88

Re: What are your thoughts on lower fuselage outer opening versus inward opening plug type cargo doors?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:05 am

Just my two cents, outward opening doors allow for a bigger opening and also alleviate the door from being blocked by shifting cargo.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: What are your thoughts on lower fuselage outer opening versus inward opening plug type cargo doors?

Wed Jul 28, 2021 2:58 am

All the big doors in the C-5 were outward opening, that is, pressurized, so it’s possible. There were probably a 100 locks in total. Yes, Saigon was attributed to a failed aft pressure door, but likely, but unproven, was undetected damage earlier during a loading exercise.