Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

convair880mfan
Topic Author

When a commercial pilot flies as a passenger, does he or she like to sit so as to see the wing at work?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:13 am

As a passenger I often like to sit behind the wing to watch it during a flight . . . flap movement, aileron, speed brakes. I once flew as a passenger on one of the last flights of an American Airlines Boeing 727-200 and the flight was almost empty. A flight attendant told me that I could ignore my seat assignment and fly first-class but I declined because I wanted to watch that 727 wing one more time. She thought I was crazy I think.

Anyway . . .I am wondering whether pilots who are deadheading or on vacation also like to watch the wing or whether this is just something that some airliner enthusiasts enjoy.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: When a commercial pilot flies as a passenger, does he or she like to sit so as to see the wing at work?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:02 am

No, I just get on and wait it out. It works, I don’t think about it in front or the back

PatrickZ80

Re: When a commercial pilot flies as a passenger, does he or she like to sit so as to see the wing at work?

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:03 am

I'm not a pilot, but I would think there'd be no reason for pilots to want to watch the wing. After all they can't watch it from the cockpit either, why should they if they fly in the cabin?

One skill a commercial airline pilot should have is to trust other pilots to do the job as good as they would do it themselves. If you can't trust other pilots, you ain't worth being a pilot yourself.

spacecadet

Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:13 am

I definitely would choose to fly first class over sitting in economy where I could watch the wing. I'm a CFII.

e38

Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:16 pm

convair880mfan wrote:
I am wondering whether pilots who are deadheading or on vacation like to watch the wing

Yes, absolutely. A window seat in the aft part of the cabin--behind the wing. 100 percent of the time if one is available.

Quoting PatrickZ80 (Reply # 3), "I would think there'd be no reason for pilots to want to watch the wing"

Because to me, I find it very interesting and fascinating, as well as the view of the ground.

e38

Moose135

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:00 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I'm not a pilot, but I would think there'd be no reason for pilots to want to watch the wing. After all they can't watch it from the cockpit either, why should they if they fly in the cabin?

Because you can't see it from the cockpit - might be interesting (at least one time) to see how all that stuff works in actual operation.

Avgeek21

Mon Aug 02, 2021 6:02 pm

No. I’d like to sit as far forward as possible. Quiet and preferably with a free seat next to me. And a window seat too. Deadheading or personal travel
makes no difference.

Moosefire

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Nope. Aisle seat, noise canceling headphones and a book or movie for me.

Woodreau

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:56 am

Another Nope here. Get on, stow and secure my gear, noise cancelling earphones, window seat, close the window shades and hopefully sleep thru the whole flight…

It’s not too shabby getting paid hundreds of dollars to sleep - because i can’t do that up front on the other side of the cockpit door.

Max Q

Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:43 am

If I can get first class I do, otherwise the #1 priority is an aisle seat

seat1a

Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:36 pm

Been in the back watching the wings and flaps plenty of times - off to First Class for canapes, champagne, and in-flight movies.

phxpilot

Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:08 pm

Even after 30 years in the industry I still prefer a window aft of the wing so I can see the flaps, spoilers, etc. The more complicated the mechanism the better! Think triple-slotted flaps. Sometimes I wonder if I should have looked into aeronautical engineering, but being a pilot is too much fun. That being said, if I have the opportunity to fly First or Business who am I to say no?