Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

traindoc
Topic Author

737MAX passenger complaints

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:27 pm

The MAX has been back in service for 6 months. I have not seen anything in the media about Pax refusing to fly on it. It seems as though the 2 previous crashes have been forgotten here in the U.S. Is this because COVID and unruly passengers have become the focus of flying concerns?

gr8slvrflt

Re: 737MAX passenger complaints

Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:34 pm

I’ve worked twenty MAX 8 flights so far this year and not a single passenger has said a word about it. The news cycle is so rapid these days. Besides, it an awesome plane!

LAX772LR

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:04 pm

traindoc wrote:
It seems as though the 2 previous crashes have been forgotten here in the U.S.

Of course they have, and there never was any significant concern that they wouldn't, else the airlines would've found a way to get out of those orders.

The superficial "oh, you can change your flight if you're uncomfortable with being on a MAX" was about the safest gamble a company could make.
Why? Because likely 99% of the flying populace can't tell a 7M8 from an A32N, much less a 73H or 739.

TerminalD

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:07 pm

traindoc wrote:
The MAX has been back in service for 6 months. I have not seen anything in the media about Pax refusing to fly on it. It seems as though the 2 previous crashes have been forgotten here in the U.S. Is this because COVID and unruly passengers have become the focus of flying concerns?

It’s mostly because the average person has the attention span of a hummingbird.

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:17 pm

LAX772LR wrote:

That said, I have no intention of getting on anyone's MAX for at least the next few years; but I'm like 1% of the 1% when it comes to that sorta thing. Hardly anything the airlines need worry about.

If a flight of yours was substituted for a MAX, would you ask to be rebooked or "chance" it? Circumstances permitting, of course I prefer to err on the side of caution myself, especially with COVID (never stopped masking up and fully vaccinated), but I don't think a MAX would bother me, though I may think about it a few times during the flight. Just curious.

F27500

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:28 pm

gr8slvrflt wrote:
I’ve worked twenty MAX 8 flights so far this year and not a single passenger has said a word about it. The news cycle is so rapid these days. Besides, it an awesome plane!

... till you gotta go to the bathroom ...

smokeybandit

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:53 pm

The number of passengers who 1) know they're on a MAX and 2) know the history of the MAX is probably less than 5%

LAX772LR

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:55 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:
If a flight of yours was substituted for a MAX, would you ask to be rebooked or "chance" it?

That's not really a scenario that CAN happen, because neither of the airlines I routinely use (DL and B6) has the MAX, and (if by some tragedy) they were to order it, likely won't be getting it any time soon. By then, perhaps my apprehension will have abated.

That, and I won't book on an airline that has them, for the specific reason you propose, at least for the next few years.

But to answer your hypothetical: I'd simply rebook, to another flight or another airline.

At worst, it would cost what-- $1,000? I'd happily pay that, to avoid a MAX, at least for now.
But as stated prior, there's no need for such, as it's really not that difficult to avoid them: just fly airlines that don't have them.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OzarkD9S

Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:58 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

If a flight of yours was substituted for a MAX, would you ask to be rebooked or "chance" it?

That's not really a scenario that CAN happen, because neither of the airlines I routinely use (DL and B6) has the MAX, and (if by some tragedy) they were to order it, likely won't be getting it any time soon. By then, perhaps my apprehension will have abated.

That, and I won't book on an airline that has them, for the specific reason you propose, at least for the next few years.

But to answer your hypothetical: I'd simply rebook, to another flight or another airline.

At worst, it would cost what, $1K? I'd happily pay that, to avoid a MAX, at least for now.

Fair enough. Thanks for the reply.

casperCA

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:06 pm

traindoc wrote:

In the case of Canada that is good reason to avoid it. AC has make it a fairly uncomfortable aircraft vrs the A220, A32x and A330 and 787/777 in the fleet. The MAX should be avoided for what the airline has chosen to do with it.

As for the safety issues, they have been fixed, the pilots are aware of the dynamics of flying these, that is not an issue.

chrisair

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:10 pm

F27500 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

That’s my biggest complaint. That and it seems like they are hotter inside than the 737-800s I’ve flown. I don’t know if that’s Southwest’s 7M8s or if I’m just experiencing it more being Phoenix based, but I don’t seem to get uncomfortable on Alaska’s or American’s 737-800s. I figure the a/c systems are all the same inside.

FlyingMSY

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:16 pm

chrisair wrote:
F27500 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

That’s my biggest complaint. That and it seems like they are hotter inside than the 737-800s I’ve flown. I don’t know if that’s Southwest’s 7M8s or if I’m just experiencing it more being Phoenix based, but I don’t seem to get uncomfortable on Alaska’s or American’s 737-800s. I figure the a/c systems are all the same inside.

Side thought... could it be aircraft colours? After all, WN's blue is pretty dark in comparison to the lighter shades of white/grey of AS and AA, I would think that especially in PHX the differences would be far more noticeable.

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:18 pm

It’s amazing what large stowbins and a well lit LED interior does to make people feel like a plane is new and therefore safe. A 30 year old Delta 757 looks brand new inside after all and passengers love them. Most people decide whether the airplane is nice or not before they even get to their seat. The interior of a MaX when you first walk in is nice and modern, so people like them regardless of how small the seat pitch is or what reputation the plane has

kjeld0d

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:27 pm

I went out of my way to avoid the DC-10 and I'll go out of my way to avoid the MAX. Both designs are as flawed as that condo building in Miami, and should have been completely recalled and scrapped at the manufacturer's expense.

Speedy752

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:44 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
It’s amazing what large stowbins and a well lit LED interior does to make people feel like a plane is new and therefore safe. A 30 year old Delta 757 looks brand new inside after all and passengers love them. Most people decide whether the airplane is nice or not before they even get to their seat. The interior of a MaX when you first walk in is nice and modern, so people like them regardless of how small the seat pitch is or what reputation the plane has

I love DLs 757s but I think it’s even more amazing that their refitted a319s and a320s that are old as dirt have more modern and functional overhead bins and PSUs than their nearly brand new a321s with those confusion bins. They look newer to me than the actually new planes

Opus99

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:44 pm

kjeld0d wrote:
I went out of my way to avoid the DC-10 and I'll go out of my way to avoid the MAX. Both designs are as flawed as that condo building in Miami, and should have been completely recalled and scrapped at the manufacturer's expense.

Okay?

JohanTally

Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:49 pm

F27500 wrote:
gr8slvrflt wrote:

When was the last time you were in an aircraft lav and wanted to spend extra time in it? The lav to me is a get in and get out situation even with a loo with a view on select A220s.

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:23 am

JohanTally wrote:
The lav to me is a get in and get out situation

And yet, despite saying that, you can't figure out the source of people's frustration with the lav configuration on some of these aircraft?

Wow.

Well, here, let's explain:
not everyone CAN so freely "get in and get out," because of how narrow and confined they've made these things.
And unlike other aspects of the aircraft (e.g. pitch, width, etc) it's not always something that one can simply pay more to avoid.

777luver

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:30 am

casperCA wrote:
traindoc wrote:

In the case of Canada that is good reason to avoid it. AC has make it a fairly uncomfortable aircraft vrs the A220, A32x and A330 and 787/777 in the fleet. The MAX should be avoided for what the airline has chosen to do with it.

As for the safety issues, they have been fixed, the pilots are aware of the dynamics of flying these, that is not an issue.

You cannot state that one airline has the worst config out there, please lets get real here. Every max is uncomfortable and terrible. Smh

JetBuddy

Sun Aug 15, 2021 12:47 am

I think it's because a lot of time has gone by and a lot of things have happened since the two accidents. The plane was grounded, Covid happened - and nobody cares what plane they fly in.

a36001

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:09 am

kjeld0d wrote:

Wow! :roll: :banghead:

tax1k

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:45 am

I don’t feel comfortable booking a ticket on a max yet. Posted about it a few weeks ago on a different thread. In all honesty I can’t quantify an increased risk for the max - I’m not an engineer and I just travel for business. But it seems to me like the whole story is about trying to outsmart a bunch of safety requirements to avoid paying to requalify pilots and that just leaves a sour taste. Besides, if God forbid a plane goes down I don’t want my family thinking I was irresponsible for booking on “that plane”.

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:46 am

a36001 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

What's so "wow" about that?

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:00 am

LAX772LR wrote:
a36001 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

Are we talking about flying in North America? There’s no evidence that the MAX is or ever was unsafe on carriers that took the optional AoA sensors, have appropriate maintenance control, and train(ed) their pilots adequately.

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:38 am

Cubsrule wrote:
There’s no evidence that the MAX is or ever was unsafe on carriers that took the optional AoA sensors, have appropriate maintenance control, and train(ed) their pilots adequately.

No real evidence to exempt them either; so a bit of a dubious claim there, one way or the other.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:41 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
There’s no evidence that the MAX is or ever was unsafe on carriers that took the optional AoA sensors, have appropriate maintenance control, and train(ed) their pilots adequately.

No real evidence to exempt them either; so a bit of a dubious claim there, one way or the other.

That’s fair. But if we are going to indict aircraft types based on their records in Indonesia, you probably ought to stay off of the NG too, no?

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:56 am

Cubsrule wrote:
But if we are going to indict aircraft types based on their records in Indonesia

Well, unless you're going to contend that USAmerican pilots (1) would psychically know to counteract a system that they weren't informed was there, and (2) were superhumans capable of generating the hundreds of pounds of force beyond human exertion which would've been needed to do it manually...

....then that's an even worse take than the previous post.

Cubsrule

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:01 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
But if we are going to indict aircraft types based on their records in Indonesia

Well, unless you're going to contend that USAmerican pilots (1) would psychically know to counteract a system that they weren't informed was there, and (2) were superhumans capable of generating the hundreds of pounds of force beyond human exertion which would've been needed to do it manually...

A couple of points . . .

The specific failures that occurred would not have occurred with the extra MCAS sensor (as well as, in the PT case, appropriate maintenance control).

And, pilots don’t need to know the causation of the trim misbehavior. They just need to correct it. And that does not (or should not) require superhuman strength.

I have flown WN MAXes without hesitation and would gladly fly them on any North American operator.

jeffrey1970

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:05 am

LAX772LR wrote:
traindoc wrote:

Of course they have, and there never was any significant concern that they wouldn't, else the airlines would've found a way to get out of those orders.

The superficial "oh, you can change your flight if you're uncomfortable with being on a MAX" was about the safest gamble a company could make.
Why? Because likely 99% of the flying populace can't tell a 7M8 from an A32N, much less a 73H or 739.

I remember a friend of said once after their flight that they flew on a 747. When I asked them what airline they flew on they said they flew on Southwest lol.

LAX772LR

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:10 am

Cubsrule wrote:
They just need to correct it.

But why are you stating that as if there have never been situations where USAmerican pilots haven't crashed an otherwise salvageable aircraft due to lack of mechanical, operational, and/or situational awareness at that particular (stressful) point in time...?

Cubsrule wrote:
And that does not (or should not) require superhuman strength.

Assuming they can do the above in time; which is just that, an assumption, which hasn't always played out as well as you contend.

NameOmitted

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:19 am

LAX772LR wrote:
a36001 wrote:
kjeld0d wrote:

As flawed as a condo that survived for 40 years without appropriate preventive maintenance, and still gave 8 years notice of imminent danger before collapsing.

It's a bad comparison made to link two otherwise unrelated emotionally charged events.

So, yeah.

Wow.

MaksFly

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:44 am

Given the choice, I would not book a MAX, and given the choice, I avoid 737s anyway for how cramped they feel. Fortunately with Delta there is plenty of choice and my second carrier of choice is all Airbus anyway. LOVE the 757, 717 and loved MD88s and MD90s when there was still a bunch of choice. With the MAX, as we clearly see now in hindsight, it leaves a bad taste to fly and in ANY WAY support a product which put profits ahead of good product and safety.

LCDFlight

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:54 am

The MAX is most likely fixed and has the same safety profile as any other well maintained 737 or A320. It had a couple of problems and they were addressed. Right?

casperCA

Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:58 am

777luver wrote:
casperCA wrote:
traindoc wrote:

You cannot state that one airline has the worst config out there, please lets get real here. Every max is uncomfortable and terrible. Smh

I am certain there must some MAXs out there that have comfortable configurations. However I think the MAX delivers a platform to the airline where they the industry has worked hard to design ultra cramp lavs and seats that it is makes it so easy for the airline to create these terrible layouts.

32andBelow

Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:05 am

None of them crashed in the US

casperCA

Sun Aug 15, 2021 4:57 am

casperCA wrote:
777luver wrote:
casperCA wrote:

I am certain there must some MAXs out there that have comfortable configurations. However I think the MAX delivers a platform to the airline where they are given the option to pick ultra cramp lavs and seats that can be made as cramped as possible.

F9Animal

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:17 am

Flown the Max on AS about 20 times now. Ironically, I flew on the second flight of the inaugural and had no idea I was on a MAX till I saw it at the gate. I was actually really nervous and asked if I could be booked on the next flight instead. An Alaska exec pulled me to the side and we chatted for about 15 minutes about it and convinced me to at least get on board the plane. I was of course in First Class so I decided to give it a try. Flawless flight! After about the 5th ride on it, I soon eased my comfort back into the plane.

When Alaska pulled the MAX from service for what felt like an eternity, I was so thankful to see it finally return. It's a nice plane for sure, especially in First. I still like the 321 better though. But that is going off topic.

airsmiles

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:34 am

It’s true that a lot of passengers won’t know or care what type of aircraft they fly on. There are passengers though who simply won’t book on an airline that operates the 737MAX. How will airlines know if this is happening? In my case, my local airport is served by 737MAX operators Ryanair and TUI, so I’ll just fly EasyJet instead. Maybe in the future I’ll change that view but it depends how the 737MAX performs over time.

Noshow

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:40 am

Reading the topic headline I thought this thread is about today's supertight airliner restrooms.

Niloko

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:41 am

I personally will hunt to fly on a MAX. I have flown only once in a 737 and it was the best non wide body flight I have been on. That was with Fly Dubai and the Boeing sky interior. The only other narrow body I've flown on is A320ceo. But it looks like the quality of the 737's interior in the Western Airlines is not as good from what I see people say.

cynlb

Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:45 am

Here's an article reviewing the AA 737 max
https://airwaysmag.com/special-flights/ ... ht-photos/

The lavatory is quite small

challeygat300

Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:06 am

Speedy752 wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

I love DLs 757s but I think it’s even more amazing that their refitted a319s and a320s that are old as dirt have more modern and functional overhead bins and PSUs than their nearly brand new a321s with those confusion bins. They look newer to me than the actually new planes

I remember my first time on the re-interiored A319 back in 2018 and thinking “y’all need to calm down, this is too nice”

Avgeek21

Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:38 am

Whenever I fly the MAX I make a point welcoming my passengers on 'this 737 MAX 8/9 aircraft.' Not one passenger has said anything, ever. I fly regularly as a passenger on the new 737/A320's variants and never have an issue with the toilets. And I'm over 6ft tall. Regarding the temperature, that's interesting. But the MAX has the same fancy new e-flow temperature controllers like fairly new NG's have. Temperature on a MAX in desert climates is not an issue. We had some older NG's that would struggle a bit but in general that was down to individual aircrafts, not a fleet. No idea why.

The MAX is such a lovely aircraft. Our cabin crew loves it and so do I flying it. Even on 7+hr flights.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:07 am

LAX772LR wrote:
traindoc wrote:

I agree with the last statement. Need time for Boeing to earn trust back.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:13 am

kjeld0d wrote:

Right back at you Flew the DC-10 once on Western. Dad preferred the L1011 & so we booked TWA or Delta to avoid them.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:17 am

Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
a36001 wrote:

Are we talking about flying in North America? There’s no evidence that the MAX is or ever was unsafe on carriers that took the optional AoA sensors, have appropriate maintenance control, and train(ed) their pilots adequately.

Then how do you explain pilots stating they were never told about MCAS or trained for it. Of course they were told of it after the 2nd crash. Sadly I'm an Old Boeing fan that no longer trust them. They used to be safety first, now it's stock price first.

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:25 am

Cubsrule wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

A couple of points . . .

The specific failures that occurred would not have occurred with the extra MCAS sensor (as well as, in the PT case, appropriate maintenance control).

And, pilots don’t need to know the causation of the trim misbehavior. They just need to correct it. And that does not (or should not) require superhuman strength.

I have flown WN MAXes without hesitation and would gladly fly them on any North American operator.

Correct, but they tried to correct it and it continued to over ride them. They were not told it existed on either airline that crashed. So how could they now how to fix the issue?

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:32 am

LCDFlight wrote:
The MAX is most likely fixed and has the same safety profile as any other well maintained 737 or A320. It had a couple of problems and they were addressed. Right?

Except that the A320 series has 3 of the sensor that failed, All are linked and if 2 disagree the system goes to manual modes. The 737 has 2 and only now if they do not agree are the pilots alerted to the problem. If one is incorrect and 1 is correct how does the pilot decide which is the bad unit? Triple redundant on such a critical component should be required.

Francoflier

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:37 am

The small minority of people who do not want to fly the MAX will avoid it at the booking level, not by complaining at the gate when they see one (assuming they can even tell it apart from other 737s... Or from anything else).

rbavfan

Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:39 am

Noshow wrote:
Reading the topic headline I thought this thread is about today's supertight airliner restrooms.

"The MAX has been back in service for 6 months. I have not seen anything in the media about Pax refusing to fly on it. It seems as though the 2 previous crashes have been forgotten here in the U.S. Is this because COVID and unruly passengers have become the focus of flying concerns?"

Exactly were do you see restrooms in this original topic post?