Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

O23
Topic Author

Southwest Delays

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:28 am

Is it just me or is anyone else seeing consistent delays on southwest from as little as an hour to more than three. Love the airline but always leaving me second guessing my flight choice after seeing all of the delays on FlightRadar24 and experiencing a last minute cancellation earlier this year.

AshFlops

Re: Southwest Delays

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:32 pm

The train system at their largest station is having issues, resulting in significant delays today. These delays ripple through the system.

SFOThinker

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:45 pm

AshFlops wrote:
The train system at their largest station is having issues, resulting in significant delays today. These delays ripple through the system.

Maybe I am the only ANetter who doesn’t know what their largest station is, but I wonder if this means DEN?

departedflights

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:45 pm

SFOThinker wrote:
AshFlops wrote:

Maybe I am the only ANetter who doesn’t know what their largest station is, but I wonder if this means DEN?

Correct.

FlyHossD

Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:50 pm

departedflights wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:
AshFlops wrote:

Correct.

Is it having a similar impact on UA? Or any of the other carriers on the C Concourse?

WayexTDI

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:03 pm

A friend of mine was to fly MKE-LAS this morning, his flight got cancelled due to no staff.

traindoc

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:48 pm

They are having cancellations here at SAT to various places such as MCO, DAL, CUN etc. Seems to be same song, different verse. Think that they have scheduled more flights than they can actually fly.

usdcaguy

Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:50 pm

I've experienced major delays on two trips this summer on Southwest. When I look at FR24, I often see that my flight is not the only one running behind. Granted, there have been some major storms this summer, but because of the number of delayed flights, I'm thinking that there is definitely a staffing or scheduling issue that is compounding the problem. Meanwhile, I would love it if Southwest were better about keeping passengers updated and giving reasons why flights are delayed. It used to be that gate agents would do this as a matter of course, but now it seems the agents just don't care like they used to. I also often arrive at the designated baggage carrousel only to hear from a fellow passenger that they put the bags on the wrong carrousel. I think they need to have a serious look at the leadership of their operations department and be less parsimonious about hiring folks.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:12 pm

Flight Attendants Union has had enough.

"Southwest Airlines flight attendants say they are at a “breaking point” after months of emergency working measures meant to cope with the sudden surge in passenger demand this summer.

In a letter to Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly on Tuesday, TWU Local 556, the union representing 15,000 flight attendants, said members are “weary, exhausted, frustrated and forgotten” amid the rush to return flying to pre-pandemic levels. The union is demanding that the company drop “emergency” procedures that require documentation for sick leave and is asking the company to stop extending flight attendant work trips and give help with air rage incidents."
‘Weary, exhausted, frustrated & forgotten’ - Southwest Flight Attendants

Like some other airlines, they managed to keep the pilots on the payroll, but butchered headquarters to do it. The HQ Brain Drain has been a serious problem this summer.
Everybody but Delta and United Max Scheduled for summer peak, but haven't had the back office staff, like schedulers, support, training, etc.,to support it, because a significant percentage of the folks they let go, early out's, etc. are not coming back.

They can't hire, because everyone is in the same boat, and looking for warm bodies.

https://unitedafa.org/news/2021/8/17/we ... attendants

Sooner787

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:35 pm

We've had over 5 inches of rain in the DFW area in August, which is ridiculous for this part of the world.
And most of that rain has come from big storms. I'm sure that's messed up WN & AA 's ops.

F27500

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:47 pm

Uh oh ... the Spirit Syndrome resurfaces.

MIflyer12

Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:53 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
They can't hire, because everyone is in the same boat, and looking for warm bodies.

Sure they can. Long term, a Southwest FA job still has very attractive pay and benefits relative the education and skill levels. They can't bring on 5,000 new FAs next month because of their own training requirements and limitations.

Longhornmaniac

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:06 pm

Fatigue is a problem across the industry. Operational performance is suffering greatly due to staffing issues and a litany of severe weather across the country. Scheduling departments are using and abusing everyone everywhere, and we're just exhausted.

It's really bad, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of relief on the horizon, short-term. This issue is not even close to limited to WN.
Last edited by Longhornmaniac on Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frmrCapCadet

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:11 pm

Worker fatigue and morale may be a topic we should have a separate thread for.

FlyingElvii

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:15 pm

Longhornmaniac wrote:
Fatigue is a problem across the industry. Operational performance is suffering greatly due to staffing issues and a litany . Scheduling departments are using and abusing everyone everywhere, and we're just exhausted.

It's really bad, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of relief on the horizon, short-term. This issue is not even close to limited to WN.

Inconsistent hotels, non-existent limo drivers, food concessions still closed, especially late at night, lack of ground staffing, etc., all of this is playing a big part in it as well.

Running an airline is a gigantic logistics exercise. You need to have everything in place, or planned, well before hand to make it all work together. When you start having multiple failures in that chain, it gets a lot rougher.

alasizon

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:18 pm

Most of WN's megas are severely understaffed on the ramp and some in CS & Ops as well. Unfortunately WN planned on being able to use overtime like pre-COVID where everyone wants it and accepts sixth day OT as just a normal part of the job, but the reality is people are done. They aren't accepting the OT anymore and they are calling out in droves.

Various stations have been on a state of emergency repeatedly and the teams are just exhausted.

chrisair

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:21 pm

It's been like this since May. You can just see the exhaustion and annoyance on everyone's faces from pilots to FAs to the ops teams.

Flflyer83

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Service and reliability < $$$$$.

Common sense should have told every carrier that you can’t bounce back to pre-pandemic flight levels with <75% of the pre-pandemic staff. Add in to that the staff / crew that have to be pulled for COVID infection or exposure, and you’re up a creek without a crew.

Just wait until next month when WN adds 10 additional planes to the active fleet with 10 additional lines of flying when they can’t even cover the current operation.

They should all be hauled in to the halls of Congress to explain their planning process and why they’re doing to their employees what they’re doing, after receiving so much money from the government. Airport employees regularly working 16-20 hours with 4 hours between shifts… tampers the same. Repeated 14-16+ hour duty days for inflight crew members, followed by <10 hour overnights, and then another long duty day. Fatigue safety issues galore in the air and on the ground at just about every carrier.

freakyrat

Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:58 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Longhornmaniac wrote:
Fatigue is a problem across the industry. Operational performance is suffering greatly due to staffing issues and a litany . Scheduling departments are using and abusing everyone everywhere, and we're just exhausted.

Inconsistent hotels, non-existent limo drivers, food concessions still closed, especially late at night, lack of ground staffing, etc., all of this is playing a big part in it as well.

Running an airline is a gigantic logistics exercise. You need to have everything in place, or planned, well before hand to make it all work together. When you start having multiple failures in that chain, it gets a lot rougher.

It's even happening at the Regionals. Not counting crewing issues. When you use the same aircraft for multiple flights any tardiness due to mechancal delays or weather on one leg causes a cascading of delays for all the legs.