Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Question about Iran Air and iraqi Airways?

Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:35 pm

Hi! I was wondering, with their fleet, if they desired to or in Iran Air's case, were allowed to fly to all of the Americas, which cities could both Iran Air and Iraqi Airways fly to and also if there were any cities that would make any sense for any of those two to fly to in the Americas?

I imagine that range wise they could reach Brazil, the Eastern seaboard of the US, Northeast Canada, and Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic?

Economically wise I imagine New York, points in Canada, Venezuela maybe Brasil and Mexico would make sense right?

Love to hear what you all say about this?

God bless!

DarkSnowyNight

Re: Question about Iran Air and iraqi Airways?

Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:29 am

In Iran's case, Los Angeles would be about the top of the list for O&D. But they would probably want to hit up anything big for the India disapora... So DC, IAH, DFW, SFO etc...

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:05 pm

DarkSnowyNight wrote:
In Iran's case, Los Angeles would be about the top of the list for O&D. But they would probably want to hit up anything big for the India disapora... So DC, IAH, DFW, SFO etc...

That makes sense, but LAX..range wise these days planes are flying longer and longer ah? Just a few years ago, the Qatar Amiri A340 that came to Phoenix from Doha had to stop at Zurich!!

DocLightning

Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:22 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

That makes sense, but LAX..range wise these days planes are flying longer and longer ah? Just a few years ago, the Qatar Amiri A340 that came to Phoenix from Doha had to stop at Zurich!!

IKA-LAX is 6,614nm. Even a 744 can do that.

IKA is really in a geographic sweet spot. With a range of 7,000nm, only the southwestern portion of S. America is out of range.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:32 am

DocLightning wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
DarkSnowyNight wrote:

IKA-LAX is 6,614nm. Even a 744 can do that.

IKA is really in a geographic sweet spot. With a range of 7,000nm, only the southwestern portion of S. America is out of range.

Wow I didnt realize the 744, a 90s plane, had such far range too..I guess Im still living in the days when Lufthansa had to stop in Puerto Rico to reach northern South America, haha!

How about Iraqi? Which cities in the Americas could Iraqi be looking at in a future? New York? LA?Phoenix? Brasil,Mexico maybe?

Boeing757100

Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:41 pm

There was talk several years ago about Iraqi starting at Dulles but even then it was dismissed as bogus. Imagine them trying to start it now amidst a global pandemic.
https://onemileatatime.com/iraqi-airways-washington/

And yes, you could say they might launch in in the future. (Ignoring all political problems) No, they still won't be able to.

Even with long haul aircraft like the 777-200LR, 747-400, and A330-200, they are probably never going to fly to the US or much of the west. Why? Well, it was said that they looked at retiring the 747s, the a330, and IIRC the 777, though I may be wrong there. They were looking at more 777s, A330neos, and placed an order for 787 but it is nearly impossible to assume a delivery date for any of these, assuming it even happens.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:10 pm

Depending on agreements with the U.S. and/or Canada, they could, yes.

Iran Air can fly to JFK, I believe, for diplomatic & U.N. traffic, if needed, mostly if a top-level leader is traveling on official business. But direct passenger service is prohibited, I believe.

Iraqi Airways might be able to fly to the U.S. (I'm not sure of their status); however, remember that the security situation in Iraq might prevent the U.S. from allowing a non-stop flight. Remember that Middle East Airlines of Lebanon tried a non-stop to Canada, and the U.S. put a stop to it over security reasons. I believe Pakistan International is also required to make a stop-over for security reasons before flying on to the U.S.

However, all those points are moot if there isn't enough premium traffic to fill the plane. Otherwise, it's entirely a prestige route, and the days of those kinds of flights (except perhaps IKA-CCS) are long gone.

But perhaps the most important factor is competition. IKA-JFK has (pre-quarantine) multiple airlines through Europe, Turkey, and the Middle East offering connections. And until the business climate demands non-stops, they really aren't feasible.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:33 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Iran Air can fly to JFK, I believe, for diplomatic & U.N. traffic, if needed, mostly if a top-level leader is traveling on official business. But direct passenger service is prohibited, I believe.

Iraqi Airways might be able to fly to the U.S. (I'm not sure of their status); however, remember that the security situation in Iraq might prevent the U.S. from allowing a non-stop flight. Remember that Middle East Airlines of Lebanon tried a non-stop to Canada, and the U.S. put a stop to it over security reasons. I believe Pakistan International is also required to make a stop-over for security reasons before flying on to the U.S.

However, all those points are moot if there isn't enough premium traffic to fill the plane. Otherwise, it's entirely a prestige route, and the days of those kinds of flights (except perhaps IKA-CCS) are long gone.

But perhaps the most important factor is competition. IKA-JFK has (pre-quarantine) multiple airlines through Europe, Turkey, and the Middle East offering connections. And until the business climate demands non-stops, they really aren't feasible.

:bigthumbsup: Very solid observations.

FCOTSTW

Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:11 pm

I can see DTW, where there is a huge Iraqi / Chaldean population, still with many economic ties to Iraq. A lot of the market is helped by AA/QR, flying DTW PHL DOH EBL or by RJ, which flies a very unpopular DTW YUL AMM, with further connections.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:27 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Thank you! I wish I could take credit for these; however, I did learn most of these things from a.net. My favorite point someone made: "a national carrier's main function should be to transport citizens of that country to where they need to go before anything else". Yes, the Gulf carriers and TK are the exception, but if you're not one of those BIG carriers, you'll never compete on the far-flung routes.

And speaking of those "prestige" routes, it is SO much fun to see the old routings of airlines in the 1970's and 1980's, like Olympic Airlines 747 service routed Athens-Singapore-Melbourne-Sydney-Singapore-Athens...or the stories of budget Europeans who flew Syrianair Europe-Damascus-Far East...

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:51 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Thank you! I wish I could take credit for these; however, I did learn most of these things from a.net. My favorite point someone made: "a national carrier's main function should be to transport citizens of that country to where they need to go before anything else". Yes, the Gulf carriers and TK are the exception, but if you're not one of those BIG carriers, you'll never compete on the far-flung routes.

And speaking of those "prestige" routes, it is SO much fun to see the old routings of airlines in the 1970's and 1980's, like Olympic Airlines 747 service routed Athens-Singapore-Melbourne-Sydney-Singapore-Athens...or the stories of budget Europeans who flew Syrianair Europe-Damascus-Far East...

Totally agree with you...

In Puerto Rico we had Lufthansa flying to South America from Europe and making a stop at SJU and Avianca doing the same but vice-versa...and Mexicana flying SJU-CUN-MEX at one short period of time. It was fun for sure!

CMA727

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

In Puerto Rico we had Lufthansa flying to South America from Europe and making a stop at SJU and Avianca doing the same but vice-versa...and Mexicana flying SJU-CUN-MEX at one short period of time. It was fun for sure!

Mexicana also flew MEX-SJU-MEX nonstop.

CMA727

Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:11 pm

AntonioMartin wrote:
Hi! I was wondering, with their fleet, if they desired to or in Iran Air's case, were allowed to fly to all of the Americas, which cities could both Iran Air and Iraqi Airways fly to and also if there were any cities that would make any sense for any of those two to fly to in the Americas?

I imagine that range wise they could reach Brazil, the Eastern seaboard of the US, Northeast Canada, and Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic?

Economically wise I imagine New York, points in Canada, Venezuela maybe Brasil and Mexico would make sense right?

God bless!

A as long as BGW or IKA doesn´t become the kind of hub IST, IGA, AUH, DXB or DOH are in their region you will never see Iraqi or Iran Air scheduled passenger or even cargo flights in MEX. I come from iraqui ancestors and believe me no more than five family members have ever flown back or visited the "Bled" ever.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:59 pm

CMA727 wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Mexicana also flew MEX-SJU-MEX nonstop.

I remember ...aaah the good times...I just think that, at that time when Cancun was not as well known as Acapulco, SJU-CUN-MEX was kinda "fun" routing...

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:00 pm

CMA727 wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:

God bless!

A as long as BGW or IKA doesn´t become the kind of hub IST, IGA, AUH, DXB or DOH are in their region you will never see Iraqi or Iran Air scheduled passenger or even cargo flights in MEX. I come from iraqui ancestors and believe me no more than five family members have ever flown back or visited the "Bled" ever.

:checkmark: