Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

Heathrow criticises Border Force for 'unacceptable' queues

Sat Sep 04, 2021 3:03 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58448565

It's ridiculous this is still an ongoing problem at one of the largest airports in Europe.

zuckie13

Re: Heathrow criticises Border Force for 'unacceptable' queues

Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:06 pm

The only real way to fix it is bring in a bunch more staff to handle the extra COVID protocol steps. That's cost a bunch to hire those extra folks, and that can't be done overnight. The probably were hoping they could have relaxed some of those protocols by now, but obviously, that's not happening soon.

seansasLCY

Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:16 pm

The longer than usual queues this week were blamed on arrivals from Afghanistan being processed at T4. No idea if that’s true or not.

But as you say, this shouldn’t be going on. However Home Secretary Priti Patel has taken a hardline on immigration so probably likes it as she looks tough and the queues look like people are being checked.

SInGAPORE_AIR

Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:45 pm

It's England. What do people seriously expect ?

Rajahdhani

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:37 pm

https://www.statista.com/statistics/279990/unemployment-rate-in-the-uk-by-country/
"In the three months to June 2021, the unemployment rate in the United Kingdom was highest in England where it was 4.8 percent, followed by 4.3 percent in Scotland, 4.1 percent in Wales, and 3.8 percent in Northern Ireland"

So it seems that there could be incentive to start the process, hire locally (to the benefit of the local economy) and prepare the U.K.'s finest assets and crucial entry ports, to solve the issue. While I understand that this will take time, it certainly vets higher than no solution, and in the interim threatens to undermine and harm the competitive nature of Heathrow. While it is an issue, it is also one that is completely and competently capable of management at the local level.

ThePointblank

Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:58 pm

It is likely that the UK Border Force also reassigned their airport staff to help other sections with enforcement, such as port screening, mail room screening, road screening, etc during the early phases of the pandemic, and they will need to reassign staff back to the airports.

DoctorVenkman

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:16 pm

When I flew into LHR a few weeks ago there was no line to use the e-gates and nobody checked any of my COVID documents. I was through immigration in about 5 minutes. Are they just selectively checking documents? I don't understand how there could be these huge queues based on my experience.

zeke

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:
When I flew into LHR a few weeks ago there was no line to use the e-gates and nobody checked any of my COVID documents. I was through immigration in about 5 minutes. Are they just selectively checking documents? I don't understand how there could be these huge queues based on my experience.

I don’t think reporting an experience like that would sell newspapers.

Crosswind

Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:50 pm

DoctorVenkman wrote:

I had a similar experience at LGW recently. Plane to car in 20 minutes via the eGates including checked-baggage collection, but sadly the airport was very quiet which was sad to see.

There were regular horrendous UK border queues earlier in the summer when all documents were being checked on arrival and the eGates were closed. Since then process was changed somewhat in that the airlines have to check your PLF QR code and proof of negative test at the departure airport, so there are no further checks on arrival into the UK as the documents have already been verified by the airline. This was always the case that the airline checked it, so UKBF just aren't repeating the check after arrival. I think the complication comes if there are red arrivals into the same terminal everyone gets checked.

Everything associated with the UK government and travel is frankly a national embarrassment at the moment.

readytotaxi

Dreadful wait times at LHR T5 again.

Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:27 pm

deleted

eurotrader85

Mon Sep 06, 2021 9:03 am

zeke wrote:
DoctorVenkman wrote:

I don’t think reporting an experience like that would sell newspapers.

Precisely this. I went through last week, sure a little queue, maybe 10-15 mins, staff super friendly, was not the horrendous problem being made by the press, but as you say, that reality doesn't shift newspapers.