Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TexStones
Topic Author

EU Green Certificate for US Citizens?

Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:06 pm

I hope that the members of this august group may be able to assist, as my Google-fu has completely failed me. Have any US nationals here successfully applied for the EU Green Certificate that is designed to speed travel with regard to COVID status documentation?

I can find plenty of information that states how EU citizens can apply for the certificate, as well as confirmation that foreign nationals can apply, but there is no information as to how one would go about that process.

Any experience or guidance here would be appreciated!

davidjohnson6

Re: EU Green Certificate for US Citizens?

Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:50 pm

Do you have any form of QR code for each dose of vaccine ?
If you do, try downloading the French TousAntiCovid app to your phone (you can set it to work in English instead of French) and in the app point the camera at one of the QR codes and see what happens

TexStones
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:04 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Do you have any form of QR code for each dose of vaccine ?

No, unfortunately. The card issued by the US Centers for Disease Control has no QR code, nor is it linked to any database.

PatrickZ80

Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:54 pm

The problem is that the US doesn't follow the international standards for registering vaccines, they only give out paper passes.

Perhaps this might help, people who have been vaccinated outside the EU can have their vaccination registered in the Netherlands.

https://nltimes.nl/2021/07/28/covid-vac ... istered-nl

The website is mostly aimed at Dutch citizens living abroad, but it never hurts to try. There's a phone number available which you can call (+31 30 8002 899) to make an appointment, sure they can tell you if it's possible for a US citizen to get your US vaccination registered in the Netherlands. I'm not sure if it is, but if so you'd have to travel to Utrecht with your US vaccination card to get it registered. It's worth trying.

Otherwise you can travel within Europe with your US registration card, it's accepted as proof of vaccination although checking it surely takes more time.

ua900

Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:36 pm

TexStones wrote:
I hope that the members of this august group may be able to assist, as my Google-fu has completely failed me. Have any US nationals here successfully applied for the EU Green Certificate that is designed to speed travel with regard to COVID status documentation?

I can find plenty of information that states how EU citizens can apply for the certificate, as well as confirmation that foreign nationals can apply, but there is no information as to how one would go about that process.

Any experience or guidance here would be appreciated!

Yes, I do. I took my US issued CDC card to a German pharmacy, where it was "converted" into a paper EU COVID-19 Vaccination Certificate. Simple request, claiming that I wanted to make sure my CDC vaccine card is accepted throughout since I wasn't sure whether it would be and figured an EU backup vaccine card can't hurt. One can easily get a digital version (EU Green Pass) from that, but n.B. the various checkpoints / agencies I've run into readily accept the paper pass as well. FWIW, I also got to keep my CDC card, which was and is equally accepted throughout my EU travels.

FCOTSTW

Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:58 pm

Being of double nationality, I might be able to help, although what I know has been told me by a credible European friend, who has witnessed it (nothing official).

The "Green Pass" is only available for EU residents, who (1) have received vaccinations in Europe and that (2) can benefit from public healthcare systems. By being a European national and living outside of it, you do not have a healthcare "subscriber ID" and therefore cannot get the Green Pass itself. Still, if you hold a CDC "White Card", this is, by European law, equal to the Green Pass. The only problem is that, besides airport and custom personnel, not a lot of people know about that.