Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

x1234
Topic Author

How much cargo can QF carry on LAX-SYD?

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:38 pm

I just read that the US-AU freight market is red hot. How much cargo can QF carry on the A380 LAX-SYD/MEL? I assume the US3 and Virgin Australia's A350/777/787 can carry more. I heard that the A380 is freight limited compared to the 777.

zeke

Re: How much cargo can QF carry on LAX-SYD?

Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:58 pm

x1234 wrote:
I just read that the US-AU freight market is red hot. How much cargo can QF carry on the A380 LAX-SYD/MEL? I assume the US3 and Virgin Australia's A350/777/787 can carry more. I heard that the A380 is freight limited compared to the 777.

If you read that somewhere it would have been very useful to provide a link.

As far as I know, QF isn’t flying their A380s at the moment.

Virgin Australia I understand is only a shell of the previous airline, only operates 737. They have no A350/777/787. They used to operate A330 and 77Ws not read anything about the resumption of international WB routes.

Would love to know what the US produces that is in high demand in Oz that makes the freight market red hit.

Or is this what we see on most routes to Australia, due to the very limited passenger quotas into Australia that passenger flights are so infrequent, and they normally carry the bulk of cargo under floor.

With next to none of the pre COVID flights happening, capacity is very limited.

AirKevin

Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:47 pm

Looking at Flightaware, it looks like only US carriers are operating on this route at the moment.

UPlog

Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:17 am

I have no idea how much freight QF carried on the A380s, but remember they also have several weekly freighter services from the US to Australia which carry large volumes.

From my experience at UPS, I know freight volume to Australia is significant from the U.S. with minimal return loads. For example, pre-pandemic, for the calendar year 2019, QF carried 22.3mil tons of freight and mail from the US to Australia, but only 4.8mil back to the U.S.

The loss of passenger capacity with COVID has put pressure on moving freight to Australia and seen increase freighter flying and use empty passenger planes to move the demand.

(same goes for New Zealand, with AIr NZ operating many freight-only service to LAX with their passenger fleet to move required volumes home)

myki

Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:40 pm

No point flying an A380 for cargo ops if you can't put cargo in the passenger cabin - and the aircraft may be huge, but the upper deck floor isn't strong enough to hold much cargo. As a guess, you won't ever see an A380 converted for cargo ops unless it is soft cargo (e.g. many airlines were flying PPE across the world as these dont weigh much and could be placed on passenger seats in the cabin).

Kent350787

Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:23 pm

QF freight out of the USA at the moment is operated by wet-leased Atlas 748F. The A380s have only flown since around March last year for positioning, one or two cabin upgrades and ongoing maintenance. I understand a couple of 789 charters to the northern hemisphere have returned with freight.

As per a PP, VA no longer operates widebody aircraft.

UA (789) and DL (359) are operating daily LAX-SYD. UPS (744 or 748), FedEx (MD11 and 777F) and Kalitta (777F, sometimes x2) are all operating into SYD from the US, although not direct LAX-SYD (perhaps Kalitta in DHL colours direct?).

atcdan

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:38 am

QF operates a B789 at least once a week LAX-SYD, may be more but I only see them on a certain shift. They park at the WAMA QF hangar/ramp.

UA and DL also operate almost daily overnight flights on the route as well, departing from their passenger gates.

Kent350787

Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:15 am

atcdan wrote:
QF operates a B789 at least once a week LAX-SYD, may be more but I only see them on a certain shift.

My understanding is that they have been backloads on passenger charters - sporting teams and defence personnel at various times.