Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CMA727
Topic Author

Craziest continuous commercial flights you have made

Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:17 pm

Someone recently asked me: what´s the craziest flight schedule you have made so far?

My answer was the PXM (Puerto Escondido)-MEX-OAX (Oaxaca)-MEX route I made several years ago instead of flying PXM-OAX (3 hour connection)-MEX as originally intended.

As my Aerocaribe Jetstream 32 PXM-OAX flight was cancelled, Traffic employees at PXM intented to book me on an Aerocaribe DC-9-31 nonstop flight to MEX (my intended final destination that day) I argued that I had a meeting scheduled at OAX airport while waiting for my OAX-MEX Mexicana 727-200 flight.

Not very happy about it, they agreed to have me fly PXM-MEX on their D93 and they MEX-OAX-MEX on Mexicana´s metal after a 2 hour waiting and metting time in OAX, this way I managed to enjoy a free longer PXM-MEX-OAX-MEX flight than the one I had booked.

In another unsual schedule I flew on board Regionalcargo 737-200F uninterrupted on the following route: QET-MEX-MTY-MID-CUN-MID-MTY-MEX-MTY-MEX-QET

ACDC8

Re: Craziest continuous commercial flights you have made

Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:51 am

Not a schedule that I made, but when I worked up north, our routing was JHL-YKA-YLW and sometimes JHL-YVR-YCD-YKA-YLW. Miss that short YKA-YLW hop on the 737-200.

Once I got booked on a YFI -YYC flight, booked a flight YYC-YEG to meet a friend and flew back to YYC to catch a flight to YVR then LAX and then LAS, 6 different 737 on 3 airlines in one day :bigthumbsup:

Had to fly YLW to YEG one time and found a $99 seat sale that routed me YLW-YYZ-YEG - great way to spend the day.

Other than that, nothing too crazy. Always try and look for stop overs at airports I haven't been to, makes flying fun again.

Only flown twice in the last 3 years. My life now officially sucks

TUGMASTER

Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:01 pm

When the AZ error fares were around, me and a mate flew
MXP-FCO AZ E170
FCO-CDG AF A321
CDG-SIN AF A380
SIN-CDG AF A380
CDG-TRN AZ 320
TRN-BRI AZ 319

All for the price of €80’s

LucaDiMontanari

Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:02 pm

Does this one count? Couple of years ago, wanted to go to Riga, Latvia. Nonstop with Air Baltic ZRH-RIX was quite expensive, but a connection on to Helsinki was much cheaper. Could do a no-show at RIX. Decided to book an additional SK flight HEL-ARN-RIX back to Riga, was still much cheaper and gave me 3 more segments... Was on two tickets though, but still self connecting at HEL, with 3 hours of layover. The 717 logged on HEL-ARN was just the icing on the cake :mrgreen:

eastafspot

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:02 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:
MXP-FCO AZ E170
FCO-CDG AF A321
CDG-SIN AF A380
SIN-CDG AF A380
CDG-TRN AZ 320
TRN-BRI AZ 319

Nice one, wasn't there a Tokyo deal too?

PlymSpotter

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:22 pm

eastafspot wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:
MXP-FCO AZ E170
FCO-CDG AF A321
CDG-SIN AF A380
SIN-CDG AF A380
CDG-TRN AZ 320
TRN-BRI AZ 319

Ahh you've got to love the AZ error fares. There were a bunch of cheap options, but SIN and NRT were the lowest. I did them back to back... in hindsight that was nuts:

STN-BGY ... Ryanair ... B737-800
MXP-FCO ... Alitalia ... A320-200
FCO-CDG ... Alitalia ... A321-100
CDG-SIN ... Air France ... A380-800
SIN-CDG ... Air France ... A380-800
CDG-TRN ... CityJet ... RJ-85
TRN-BRI ... Alitaia Cityliner ... E170-200LR
BRI-BGY ... Ryanair ... B737-800
MXP-FCO ... Alitalia ... A319-200
FCO-NRT ... Alitalia ... B777-200ER
NRT-FCO ... Alitalia ... B777-200ER
FCO-BRI ... Alitalia ... A320-200
BRI-STN ... Ryanair ... B737-800

All accomplished in around 83 hours

Dan

PITingres

Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:55 pm

A couple decades ago, I went to a convention in San Fran. The flight out was PIT-SFO, the return if memory serves was something like SFO-BUR-DFW-PIT.

I've also done PIT-EWR-MCI and return, flying almost directly over my house on the EWR-MCI leg; also PIT-IAH-LHR and return. The former was for scheduling reasons and the latter was a can't-refuse price while flying on my own dime.

WesternDC6B

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:01 pm

I had a change in my travel plans, and tried to change a ticket setup I already had. Originally, I was to go from CTA to NAP, spend about 3 days, then up to FCO to ATL to BHM. The need to go to Napoli ceased, so I wanted just to get from Catania to BHM by however Delta wanted to do it. The gum-popping nothing I got on the phone said the change in ticket would involve a surcharge several hundred dollars more than the original round trip ticket.

I hung up, and started researching one-way tickets on various sites like CheapTickets and others. I also called Delta back again (I really like Skype at times!), and this time got a really go-getter type. For the older US readers, think voice like Eve Arden ("Our Miss Brooks") and that tomboy girl you knew in the third grade who liked to play softball with the rest of the guys, and was good at it. I explained to her I had my browser open and was hovering over a one-way and would argue the refund when I got home unless she could cook something up. "Mr. DC6B, I love a challenge!"

She clicked, clattered on her keys, hmm'd, haw'd, and then finally came up with a difference of about $112 surcharge. Fine, BUT. To do this, I would be going from CTA to FCO to ATL and then NOT to BHM, but on to DTW then BACK DOWN to BHM. Something about how the flight number from FCO to ATL didn't end there, but despite a plane change, maintained the flight number all the way to DTW and the tariffs said I had to finish the flight blah blah blah.

I took it. I realized later that because I went through customs in ATL, I should have just rolled out the door and grabbed a rental car, but didn't. I was so exhausted when I got home the driver almost had to pour me out of my cab.

eastafspot

Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:24 pm

PlymSpotter wrote:
eastafspot wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:
MXP-FCO AZ E170
FCO-CDG AF A321
CDG-SIN AF A380
SIN-CDG AF A380
CDG-TRN AZ 320
TRN-BRI AZ 319

Ahh you've got to love the AZ error fares. There were a bunch of cheap options, but SIN and NRT were the lowest. I did them back to back... in hindsight that was nuts:

STN-BGY ... Ryanair ... B737-800
MXP-FCO ... Alitalia ... A320-200
FCO-CDG ... Alitalia ... A321-100
CDG-SIN ... Air France ... A380-800
SIN-CDG ... Air France ... A380-800
CDG-TRN ... CityJet ... RJ-85
TRN-BRI ... Alitaia Cityliner ... E170-200LR
BRI-BGY ... Ryanair ... B737-800
MXP-FCO ... Alitalia ... A319-200
FCO-NRT ... Alitalia ... B777-200ER
NRT-FCO ... Alitalia ... B777-200ER
FCO-BRI ... Alitalia ... A320-200
BRI-STN ... Ryanair ... B737-800

All accomplished in around 83 hours

Dan

Well done Dan ! Certainly not for the faint hearted :lol: . Lucky you it all went smoothly, otherwise what were you back up plans if stucked somewhere in the middle?

CMA727
Topic Author

Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 am

I once took an 11 day long trip doing the following flights:
MEX.ZIH-PVR-SEA on a Mexicana 727-200
SEA-HNL on a United DC-10-10
HNL-NRT on a United 747-100
HND-OSA on a JAL DC-10-40
OSA-HND on a JAL 747-200 SUD
NRT-HKG on a United 747-100
HKG-NRT on a United 747-100
HNL-JHM-OGG-HNM on an Aloha Island Air DH-6 Twin Otter
HNM-OGG on an Aloha Island Air DH-6 Twin Otter
OGG-HNL on a Hawaiian DC-9-50
HNL-SFO on a United 747.100
SFO-SEA on a United 737-300
SEA-MZT on a Mexicana 727-200
MZT-SJD-GDL-MEX on a Mexicana 727-200

TUGMASTER

Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:40 am

eastafspot wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:
MXP-FCO AZ E170
FCO-CDG AF A321
CDG-SIN AF A380
SIN-CDG AF A380
CDG-TRN AZ 320
TRN-BRI AZ 319

Yep, as Dan has said, NRT was the other cheap option we did,
MXP-NRT-FCO-BRI,
A little more expensive at 85 euro.

The trick or error was that you had to book a MXP-BRI flight. However you could book it via anywhere on the AZ network, and it would be treated as a domestic sector MXP-BRI for costing.
Great fun indeed.

maps4ltd

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:08 pm

2018. When my STL-ORD flight on American was late, causing me to miss my ORD-CLT connection, I ended up flying STL-ORD-SBN-CLT.

classicjets

Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:14 pm

My first trip to China, I used US Airways miles that allowed a route from Asia to North America via Europe, so I decided to make it a round the world trek.

Outbound I made a couple stopovers: PHX-SJC-NRT-GUM (with a GUM-ROP-SPN-TIQ-SPN-GUM thrown in) -TPE (with a TSA-KNH-TSA daytrip) -CTU

But I did the return via Europe in one shot: PVG-TPE-ICN-IST-YYZ-SFO-PHX 6 flights on 5 airlines.

Q

Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:16 am

I booked MDW-DET-MDW on Southwest flights 1990s. I was at Detriot City airport waiting for a flight back home to MDW. Southwest had delayed flight due to snowing weather conditions in Michigan. I waited and got ready to board to MDW. But the gate agent announced that we have to fly to Detriot Metro to pick up some passengers who have stranded cancel flights to MDW We offered to pick up DTW from DET. We laughed. I got boarded the plane and took off and landed in 9 minutes shortest hop that I have had best flight shortest ever had it. LOL

Q

hongkongflyer

Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:01 am

I once flown from HKG to BNE, arrived on Sat 11pm, spend one night at the airport hotel, then board the QF Antarctica flight on 6am.
The QF flight returned to BNE around 9pm then I immediately connected to the 1am CX flight back to HKG.

CMA727
Topic Author

Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:56 pm

On a MEX-MTY 737-200F flight, our flight dispatcher "forgot" to inform our pilots that MTY airport was going to be closed for reparir work by the time we estimated our arrival. This was made known to our pilots while we were already flying towards MTY. Pilots had 3 choices hold for one hour near MTY till the airport reopened, divert to alternate or return to MEX to wait and refuel. That last option is what we did thus I made a MEX-MEX-MTY flight that night.