Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

lightmac
Topic Author

Does having status motivate you to fly more?

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:14 am

If you have a "Gold" or other FF-Card, you can enjoy the lounge and other improvements to the travel experience. Do you find that it makes you fly more, not only stay loyal to one alliance but also prefer flying over taking the train or car for example?

tommy1808

Re: Does having status motivate you to fly more?

Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:56 am

lightmac wrote:
If you have a "Gold" or other FF-Card, you can enjoy the lounge and other improvements to the travel experience. Do you find that it makes you fly more, not only stay loyal to one alliance but also prefer flying over taking the train or car for example?

I once booked a ~100 EUR more expensive flight for a trip to Warsaw to keep my Status, but flying more? Nope.

best regards
Thomas

flyer56

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:02 am

I would say having status takes some of the pain out of flying as a passenger. It does not make me want to travel more but does make me less resistant to business travel when the request pops up. Status definitely saves time at check-in and makes day trips much more practical.

Jomar777

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:16 am

flyer56 wrote:
I would say having status takes some of the pain out of flying as a passenger. It does not make me want to travel more but does make me less resistant to business travel when the request pops up. Status definitely saves time at check-in and makes day trips much more practical.

Even with the lower Status (e.g. BA's Bronze), you get some useful perks like booking your seat 7 days in advance. I do not think it makes you fly more but it helps you to choose this or that airline depending on what you can get be it in perks or on extra assistance - for example, flight re-booking.

Makes me, for example, to consider British Airways, Swiss and United Airlines even if the price is slightly (but not too) higher compared to others.

eastafspot

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:28 am

The more you are flying, the more you are demanding thus the more you are disappointed thus you want to fly less...

eurotrader85

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:29 am

Agree with the above statements. It influences WHO I fly, but doesn't make me fly more

AirbusOnly

Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:50 am

I use the "Miles and More Frequent Traveller Card Gold" from Lufthansa. Before the pandemic, I was on regular business trips within Germany and Europe. Privately, we travelled more with Emirates in Business Class, as our destinations were often difficult to reach with Lufthansa or Star Alliance partners - and the Business Class in the A 380 is unrivalled with Emirates.
But I haven't flown more just to maintain status, and I won't. The advantages are minimal

RWA380

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:30 am

They are called mileage runs & pre-pandemic, flying to Europe for a night or two, was one great way to get those final miles or segments before the year ended. Yes, you fly more. (Diaries of a UA 2 million flyer & 100k, 20 years running).

B777LRF

Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:50 am

No, it's actually quite the opposite. In a previous job I was saddled with upwards of 150 travelling days a year, and those travels effectively vaccinated me against any desire to do get onboard an airline on my own time. I therefore spent most of my accrued miles on upgrades from C to F (one can get spoiled quickly), and the rest I dished out to friends and family to they could come visit me. On rare occasions I did blow some miles transporting myself from place of residence to ancestral home, but more often than not I fired up the car and drove "home" instead.

So, no, having status (in my book) is actually a disincentive to fly more, as one would have flown more than enough to earn that status.

giblets

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:05 am

Only if you get the associated air miles!

bigb

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:39 am

I already fly enough between my positive space commute and flying as a pilot. Status only influence my preference on who I will try to commute on. Since I commute from the East Coast to ANC on a monthly basis I’ve racked up some crazy status on United since April (need 1 more segment after Saturday).

I always push back when my company try to book me on AA because it is a pain in the butt to earn status with them when their tickets are so cheap and because of my lack of status on AA, I don’t have access to seats with more legroom or upgrades without spending my own money out of pocket for the East Coast to ANC to East Coast commutes. I don’t mind flying AA on shorter segments though.

When my company needs to reposition us via commercial air, if the flight longer than 4 1/2 hours or international, we are booked business or better. Because of that, Next time I need one of those types of trips internationally, I will status match prior to the leg and met the challenge with the business booking.

factsonly

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:46 am

...........................................................................................................................................

As "Platinum for Life", flying more.... or less, has no influence on my status whatsoever.

..........................................................................................................................................

Putnik

Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:55 am

In all honesty, no. I received Etihad Gold status due to insanely frequent business trips. I love flying, but this piece of plastic proves how much time I spent away from my family. Covid changed all that for the better, and I hope never to return to that lifestyle. I gave away the miles to friends and family. I used lounge access the most, and the best privilege is the business counter for check-in, which is probably the most useful during morning rush hour.

A decent credit card can bring me all the perks associated with the FF status card.

jmscsc

Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:34 pm

I have had platinum status with DL for years and while I enjoy flying the status only motivates me to keep my business with DL or members of Skyteam.