Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ryanrap1
Topic Author

SAT - LONDON Next Summer

Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Hi All,

I was hoping for your help again with maybe which airline or routing my partner and I should take for a trip that we are planning next summer.
We are looking to go from SAT - London July 23-30, but not sure if I should fly into Heathrow or Gatwick? Any suggestions.

Any recommendation on what airline or equipment we should try to book if economically feasible.

jumpjets

Re: SAT - LONDON Next Summer

Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:31 pm

Following Covid and in particular the end of Norwegian TATL flights I suspect there won’t be much choice direct from the USA to LGW though you should have the option to take the JetBlue A321LR service to LGW from JFK, or indeed LHR from JFK or BOS. BA May have some holiday flights to LGW via Florida by the .

As far as ‘interesting’ equipment goes it looks like BA will be flying the A380 from DFW and MIA, though not sure at which times of year. Their A350-1000s and, what is still quite rare until production is sorted out, a 787-10 will also be ploughing back and forward across the Atlantic next summer.

Virgin United Delta and American will offer similar service.

I imagine you have in your mind already that you could drive to AUS and fly direct to LHR.

If you are happy to do a two stop routing then your options for both LHR and LGW grow enormously. Maybe Icelandair via KEF and take their 738s or Aer Lingus via DUB on a 321LR. Pre Covid EI were planning to introduce their transatlantic A321LRs on a morning DUB- LHR presumably so their transatlantic passengers get the full long haul experience right through to LHR.

PI4EVR

Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:18 pm

A couple items and suggestions for you to research:
1. First decide you'll originate in SAT or consider an alternate city as suggested to consider AUS. You know the airlines that fly to SAT and can research schedules and fares and maybe compare price, schedule, and overall travel time by comparing SAT and AUS options.
2. LHR and LGW are connected to central London via direct rail or Tube/Underground services. Google searches will direct you to websites for info.
3. For an overview and to book sightseeing tours, I recommend Viator.com.
4. Hotel research can be obviously chain hotel websites or third party sites such as Trivago or Hotels.com.
5. July is peak season for the UK/Europe so you'll likely not find cheap airfares or hotel rates. Once you decide on an airline to get you there, research that airline vacation package options that may include transfers, meal services and wide choice of hotels in various locations.
6. London is and can be an expensive city just like New York. Purchase GBP currency from your local bank before you depart to avoid fees and exchange rates in airports or train station kiosks. Other currency outlets/banks/travel offices are available once there for additional cash access.
7. Book early as unlikely there will be a huge "sale" for London travel in July.
8. London is a big city, but public transport is available around the clock. Be sure to review the Underground (subway) system map and route guides. It and your feet will give you all you need to discover this great city on your own. And on a budget.
9. Using a regular train service, plan to travel to Brighton on the coast to spend the day and to enjoy some great fish and chips. A must do meal.
10. Budget for this trip beginning now 10 months in advance. Spend less if you're still planning the Miami and Key West trip in Feb.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Spend pounds like they’re dollars. Prices look pretty normal until you think of the exchange rate.

bfitzflyer

Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:33 pm

Price being neutral, take the flight that arrives as late as possible so you can check in. Have some dinner and go to bed unless of course you sleep well on airplanes. I also tend to avoid east coast airports as they tend to have two meals which leaves very little time for rest.

Wednesdayite

Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:50 pm

bfitzflyer wrote:
Price being neutral, take the flight that arrives as late as possible so you can check in. Have some dinner and go to bed unless of course you sleep well on airplanes. I also tend to avoid east coast airports as they tend to have two meals which leaves very little time for rest.

This x 1,000,000.

I recently landed at LHR at 8:00am. Being unable to check in until late afternoon was murder.

BTW - that wasn’t poor planning on my part. I should have arrived later in the day, but UA cancelled that flight and put me on an earlier one.

TUGMASTER

Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:27 pm

There used to be daylights eastbound across the pond, ORD-BOS-JFK all into LHR.
If you can do one of those, they’re fantastic for avoiding the jet lag .
But unsure they’re still running.