Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

crownvic
Topic Author

Virgin Atlantic Cancels TATL Flights

Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:17 pm

I just got an email from Virgin that my 2 R/T economy non refundable seats from Orlando MCO to LHR for Nov 5 are cancelled. No future flights were offered and was told in the email no future date for start up service is determined at this time. They gave me a choice of booking thru April of 2023 or give the credit to anyone else who can use it. No option of a refund....That does me NO GOOD. Hotels, cars events all planned for that week. I guess I will have to dispute the Ccard charge and hope for the best...And forget about getting them on the phone now holding 2 hours!

PatrickZ80

Re: Virgin Atlantic Cancels TATL Flights

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:12 pm

If they refuse to refund your booking you can always threaten to inform the press about it, after all if they cancel the flight they are obliged to refund your booking. If a story like this ends up in the media that will give them a lot of bad publicity which they want to avoid at all costs, it's cheaper for them to refund the booking than to lose customers due to the media damaging their name. Just say you have a friend working for a major news outlet, which doesn't have to be true but they don't know that. It gets their asses moving.

If I were you I would not cancel your bookings for cars, hotels, etc. yet, after all there are more airlines flying to London. You simply fly another airline.

PatrickZ80

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:21 pm

PS if I look up those flights on the Virgin Atlantic website for November 5th with return a week later they appear to be bookable meaning they're not cancelled at all. Not sure why they canceled your booking but if you paid to be on those flights you should be able to just go.

Are you sure that mail is not a scam? Does it show your booking number and details?

crownvic
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:32 pm

The e mail states the flights will be cancelled this weekend. when I go to the website it still shows as a valid reservation.

"As a result of Covid-19 and the changing global travel restrictions, we’re constantly reviewing our flying programme. This has unfortunately meant we’ve had to make some schedule changes and cancellations.

Following the announcement that the US borders will reopen for fully vaccinated international visitors from November, a confirmed date for the easing of US entry rules is still pending. As a result, we’ve had to adjust some of our US schedules and taken the difficult decision to slightly push back the restart of Orlando services. We’re sorry to say this means your flights will not be going ahead and have been cancelled.
If all of your flights have been cancelled you have several options available to you. So we can update your booking as soon as possible, please choose your preference at your earliest convenience. The options include:
• Rebook your flights for a new departure date, any time between now and 30 April 2023
• Convert your ticket to a Virgin Atlantic voucher, which will generate a credit equal to the value of your booking, for use on a future flight with Virgin Atlantic

If you’d like someone else to benefit from your booking, you can also make a free name change when you rebook or request a voucher, or even change your destination with the admin fee waived.

To view all your options following this cancellation, including a cash refund, please visit our website, which sets these out in more detail and allows you to self-select your preference.

If some of your flights are still operating (including connecting flights)

Please contact us to amend any flights on your booking that are still scheduled to operate."
We know how important your trip will be to you, and we apologise that it won’t be going ahead as planned. At this time, we’re unable to rebook you on to an alternative service on the same date, however, our latest rebooking policies offer as much flexibility as possible, helping you to reschedule.

Please note, the cancellation will be processed this weekend, after which it will be reflected on your booking.

FYI...the website gives me no option for a refund as it was a non refundable ticket..

crownvic
Topic Author

Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:58 pm

UPDATE: after 2 hours and 20 minutes on hold with Virgin they are refunding me 100% and provided an email with confirmation. Said they plan to start service November 8th 3 days later!

Going to book Delta and pay $300 more per ticket...

ChrisKen

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:05 pm

BA did the same last week. Dithering on the US end so they've cancelled with a decent lead time rather than last minute.

TUGMASTER

Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:11 pm

crownvic wrote:
UPDATE: after 2 hours and 20 minutes on hold with Virgin they are refunding me 100% and provided an email with confirmation. Said they plan to start service November 8th 3 days later!

Going to book Delta and pay $300 more per ticket...

They had no option, they had to refund you, they were just being bastards.
Anyway, you would of thought that with DL/VS being in bed together, they would of just moved you to DL flights.
Completely bad customer care IMHO.
And they’ve also managed to get another $300 pp out of you.

debonair

Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:04 pm

Unfortunately, in this times airlines try first to get away with a future credit voucher... I guess with more patience I would have tried for a free rebooking on VS codeshare service on DL via ATL and as a last resort a refund.

seansasLCY

Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:22 am

My mother had a flight booking to Orlando at the same time with BA which has also been cancelled. They emailed her to ask if she wanted to change dates, try to change to another flight (most likely connecting) or voucher.

crownvic
Topic Author

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:18 pm

Looks like November 8th is the official day travel ban will be lifted to US. Just missed it by 3 days! All is well, rebooked on Delta ! the VS rep said all flights to MCO will resume that day and BA will too...

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:29 pm

At least you had a phone number to call!

When the pandemic started, our trip on Volaris TIJ-PVR was quite obviously not possible. Volaris had no phone number, no e-mail, and absolutely no way to communicate with them at all. They had our money and showed no signs of giving it back. Even disputing the charge didn't go anywhere, since they technically announced that "we're holding your credit" on their Facebook page, but wouldn't give any further information. I wrote it off, and vowed NEVER to even consider them again.

Exactly one year to the day after the trip would have been completed, a credit for the exact amount (including Cross Border Xpress) appeared on my credit card. Why? I have no idea, but I'm still never going to fly with them.