Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

What's your opinion about Simpleflying.com?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:12 pm

What do you like? What don't you like?

thebunkerparodi

Re: What's your opinion about Simpleflying.com?

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:17 pm

I like them, while sometimes they do small innacuracies they shouldn't be disreguarded considering that they can still get airlines CEO to talk with them

davidjohnson6

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:30 pm

Sone people writing for the website has a tendency to write as much as they possibly can on the countries they know about, and little about other topics. The result is some regions get strong coverage, while others are ignored. I have more time and interest for James Pearson than some of the other writers

Boeing757100

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:50 pm

We have had a few threads about them in the past...

viewtopic.php?t=1446601
viewtopic.php?t=1451433
viewtopic.php?t=1441633

So, their credibility is debatable. Proofreading seems to be almost nonexistent at the site, and they only correct mistakes after a number of people tell them to correct it. Bias also can appear to be a problem, as many people who have read some of their articles claim that they are big, big Airbus fans (pls don't make this into an A v. B) but I am not sure. However, their authors do have some aviation experience and they do get opportunities to talk with airline CEOs, so that should say something I guess.

Topic Author

Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:21 pm

I like that their coverage is without negativity

i also like the articles of James Pearson and the interviews with airline CEOs. I think they have so many interviews, because there are no critical questions :D :D

"the most notable new airline routes this week" is actually a nice series.

Yeah, it happens that the headline or something in the text is wrong. I made a correction claim many times already. They replied relatively fast and corrected it. Now I got tired of telling them their mistakes. They should actually get a proofreading.

on the homepage there are only about 20 news articles shown. there is no button to see older articles. in order to not miss a news, somebody has to click on the homepage twice every day.
or use google with "site:simpleflying.com" but that may only know a few people.

some headlines are just click-bait like "this is what you need to know"

in some articles the text is ≈95% the introduction into the topic without any new piece of new information at all. 5% of the text is actually about the headline, sometimes with only vague information.

thebunkerparodi

Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 am

Boeing757100 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1446601
viewtopic.php?t=1451433
viewtopic.php?t=1441633

So, their credibility is debatable. Proofreading seems to be almost nonexistent at the site, and they only correct mistakes after a number of people tell them to correct it. Bias also can appear to be a problem, as many people who have read some of their articles claim that they are big, big Airbus fans (pls don't make this into an A v. B) but I am not sure. However, their authors do have some aviation experience and they do get opportunities to talk with airline CEOs, so that should say something I guess.

I've seen people saying they were A380 haters, not sure if that count as being a airbus fan since to me a airbus fan would still like the A380 and defend it

DaCubbyBearBar

Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:19 am

Like any other news outlet, they have pros and cons…. I personally have stopped reading them, but I wouldn’t say it will be permanent

jetwet1

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:50 am

There are times they put out interesting articles, there are also times where I could swear, they take threads from here, condense them and publish them as their own.

BoeingGuy

Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:42 am

I think Simple Flying is terrible and most articles say a whole lot of nothing. A lot of their articles are filled with inaccuracies and often feel like they were written by a 12 year old. They do little or no fact checking.

For example, the recent article about all the different types of airplanes that AA has flown stated they have only flown Boeing, Airbus, Douglas, and Fokker jets. He completely omitted the Convair 990 and BAC-111. He also omitted the DC-10.

Even more laughable, the author again restated a factual error that multiple commenters had corrected in a past article. He said that AA didn’t start flying the A32x aircraft until they inherited them in the US Air merger - pre-merger AA only ordered the A300. In fact, pre-merger AA ordered a large fleet of A319s and A321s in 2011 well before the merger.

I could go on about other errors like the author who kept insisting that Boeing built 57 767-400s, including for pre-merger UA. She was misinterpreting an outdated Boeing website she was referencing and wouldn’t believe several of us who - you know - actually worked on the 767-400 program and knew what we were talking about. There were 38 built only for DL, CO, and one that is now a VIP aircraft.

Another funny one was the author who said that LAX is the shortest mainland route from Hawaii. In fact, SJC and SFO are the shortest due to the shape of California. Most of the multitude of errors in Simple Flying would take like one minute to look it up and verify their facts, but they seem too lazy to do so.

davidjohnson6

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:16 am

Perhaps worrh remembering that paying people to write articles costs money.... and that the website is free. Advertising revenue has limits. If you want articles without errors, there are plenty of other sites which involve your credit card

lightsaber

Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:29 am

They have persistent cookies. I will only open in incognito tab. But sometimes the only link on certain discussion.

Boeing757100 wrote:

viewtopic.php?t=1446601
viewtopic.php?t=1451433
viewtopic.php?t=1441633

The have some bias, as does Leehamnews. They have interesting tidbits, but are not a pure source by any means.

They are paid a.nutters.

Lightsaber

eurotrader85

Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:28 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
There are times they put out interesting articles, there are also times where I could swear, they take threads from here, condense them and publish them as their own.

:lol: I have often thought exactly the same. Something will be debated here to the a.net extreme, as we do, and then a few days later an article will pop up about it, taking what is uncannily a summary of the thread on said topic. We are being watched!!! :rotfl:

:wave: to the Simple flying team.

myki

Wed Nov 03, 2021 7:50 pm

I like that there are stories about airlines that are not written about often in the western world, the likes of Air Niugini, Rwandair, Indigo, Flybondi, etc.

PhilipBass

Mon May 09, 2022 9:37 pm

I noticed that when I clicked on the cookie blocker button in Chrome for simpleflying.com that over 50 third party cookies were blocked. That website is just there to collect your data, resell it and serve adverts.

OzarkD9S

Mon May 16, 2022 5:09 pm

I call them Simple Minds. But I tend to visit nearly every day, often to look for errors and have a laugh.

Mark Finlay is a good source for sloppy writing, if you enjoy that sort of thing.

Boeing757100

Wed May 18, 2022 3:07 pm

eurotrader85 wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

:lol: I have often thought exactly the same. Something will be debated here to the a.net extreme, as we do, and then a few days later an article will pop up about it, taking what is uncannily a summary of the thread on said topic. We are being watched!!! :rotfl:

:wave: to the Simple flying team.

https://simpleflying.com/why-dont-boein ... -deck/amp/
Confirmed!! They cite us here in the 3rd or 4th paragraph!!!!!! Sure explains it the content quality at times and the silly mistakes