Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Opinion- That an AI should replace one person in the 2 man crew

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Ok, before everyone attacks me for this, it was my dad who brought this up and agreed with it. I personally disagree with his opinion, but while the both of us were sitting and watching Smithsonian channel Air Disasters, he out of the blue was like "Why can't they have one AI and one human in the cockpit?" and brought up a whole bunch of points that he thought would boost his argument. I don't exactly remember everything he said, but here were a few of his points.

- It would be a solution to pilot suicide
- It would take off a large part of workload on the pilot
- It can fly the plane completely on its own and can be programmed to deal with emergencies
- If the pilot becomes incapacitated, the AI can land the plane

However, I still disagreed with him and tried to bring up my own argument. However, since I am a kid and he's the parent, he cut me off immediately and brought up more of his argument. So since I can't tell him, here is my argument against this idea

-It would not be a solution to pilot suicide since the suicidal pilot can just dump his coffee on the very delicate computer/robot that will cease to function so the pilot can still commit his act.
- The current setup also divides the workload evenly (one does the flying/operating, the other recites checklists/radios ATC) so it's the same benefit.
- It would be somewhat redundant because the autopilot and navigational systems already is so sophisticated that it flies the plane itself for the whole of the cruise phase. The ILS can land the plane on its own. What would the difference be if an AI is doing it?
- How can you possibly program the AI to deal with any and all emergencies? It simply won't have the human willpower/mind to deal with something more external, like say, a hijacking.
- Speaking of hijackings, if in the case someone got into the cockpit (very very unlikely), they'd only have to deal with one man, not the usual 2 men. They could either destroy the AI or re-program it to crash the plane. It would make it much easier.
- Once again, the current setup does this perfectly. If one pilot has a medical problem or some incapacitation, there is one other human being there to land.
- It would cause a big loss in jobs, since we basically lose almost half the pilots
- Psychologically, it could be affecting the pilot. He'd basically have no one to talk to for that hours and hours of long flight. I'd imagine that to be exceptionally lonely.

Once again, I stress, the above was just my opinion and countering against my dad's argument. I am NOT experienced in the industry at all, nor do I wish to promote any negative values. In fact, I told my dad to just get an account on here for himself just so he can post this question. He kindly declined so here I am...

So, does the kid or the parent win? Personally I disagree with this, but do you have anything to add on? Do you disagree with him or me?

Once again, thanks for replying.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Re: Opinion- That an AI should replace one person in the 2 man crew

Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:05 pm

And no, this is not a "Pilotless plane vs Piloted plane" thread, this is one where there is one human and one AI.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Opinion- That an AI should replace one person in the 2 man crew

Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:52 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
And no, this is not a "Pilotless plane vs Piloted plane" thread, this is one where there is one human and one AI.

They are both the same thing because, if there is only one pilot, the system has to meet pilotless safety hurdles.