Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trexel94
Topic Author

11K SQFT Delta Sky Club coming to (new) MCI

Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:55 am

Delta is betting big on Kansas City’s premium traffic. An 11,000 square foot Sky Club lounge is in the works for MCI’s new terminal which is scheduled to open in March 2023.

When completed, it will be among one of the largest non-hub Sky Clubs, bigger than AUS and RDU which leads me to this….

What is the rationale? Is there really that much demand? Once again, it’ll be even bigger than many high growth markets with much more DL traffic. Is DL planning an expansion or perhaps a long haul route to AMS/CDG? Whether either come true remains to be seen. However, a lounge is a step in the right direction for such ambitions.

It should also be noted that the 11K lounge was originally designed to be operated as two separate 5500 sqft lounges but DL decided to lease and combine both spaces.

On a semi-serious note, DL doesn’t appear to be reinstating IND-CDG especially since BA is coming, so perhaps MCI could have it instead?

Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lease.html

jplatts

Re: 11K SQFT Delta Sky Club coming to (new) MCI

Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:57 pm

trexel94 wrote:
When completed, it will be among one of the largest non-hub Sky Clubs, bigger than AUS and RDU which leads me to this….

What is the rationale? Is there really that much demand? Once again, it’ll be even bigger than many high growth markets with much more DL traffic. Is DL planning an expansion or perhaps a long haul route to AMS/CDG? Whether either come true remains to be seen. However, a lounge is a step in the right direction for such ambitions.

DL has DL Sky Clubs at some non-DL hub airports that don't currently have any p2p nonstop routes on DL, including ORD, DFW, HNL, IND, JAX, MEM, MKE, BNA, MSY, PHL, PHX, PDX, SAN, SFO, and PBI.

jplatts

Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:23 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Is DL planning an expansion or perhaps a long haul route to AMS/CDG?

DL adding MCI-JFK/RDU nonstop service are possibilities with
(a) DL still serving JFK nonstop from Midwest cities other than CVG/DTW/MSP,
(b) connecting opportunities available onto TATL flights through JFK,
(c) DL having previously served RDU nonstop from Midwest cities other than CVG/DTW/MSP, and
(d) RDU being one of the top markets traveled to from MCI that isn't currently served nonstop from MCI (even though WN had operated MCI-RDU nonstop service prior to the COVID-19 pandemic).

There are some domestic p2p adds such as the return of MCI-CVG/DFW nonstop service and the addition of MCI-AUS/ORD/DEN/IAH nonstop service that could be made by DL, especially with connections to AUS, ORD, CVG, DFW, DEN, and IAH from MCI through DL hub airports requiring significant backtracking.

Cubsrule

Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:29 pm

trexel94 wrote:
It should also be noted that the 11K lounge was originally designed to be operated as two separate 5500 sqft lounges but DL decided to lease and combine both spaces.

I'm not too familiar with the proposed layout of the new terminal. Was there any opportunity for a lounge that was larger than 5,500 square feet but smaller than 11,000 square feet? If not, the 11,000 square feet number may not be all that meaningful.

UALFAson

Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:02 pm

I think you're reading too much into this. As was previously noted, plenty of airlines, including DL, offer club lounges in cities that are mere spokes in their system.

A new airport terminal gives all airlines the opportunity to expand their footprint with things like lounges. There's enough of a corporate presence in MCI that DL probably has some high-value FFs they want to appease. Today they're flying all A-321 service to ATL but it's only 6x, which really isn't that special. DTW and MSP are 4-5x with 717 or smaller aircraft. Anything can happen route-wise in this environment, but I think suggesting opening a large lounge therefore means starting nonstop Europe service is a pretty big jump.

FlyingJhawk

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:32 am

I actually got the heads up on this happening back in November of 2019 and posted something about this - most likely the ongoing MCI thread. I was heading to my gate on a Friday flight from ATL-MCI and who do I run into just past security? Ed Bastian. I figured this will never happen again so I introduced myself. We engage in a little chit chat, he asks me where I'm going and mention KC. That's when he said they are opening a SkyClub in the new terminal. The funny thing is the way my schedule is I am most likely leaving very early in the morning and returning late in the evening so the chance I actually use this is slim. I also wasn't sure whether COVID would alter their plans. Apparently not.

One thing he did say that I appreciated was when I complimented him on how well Delta is run. He just smiled and said, "Thanks, we have great people." Yeah, they do.