Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MoKa777
Topic Author

Roles that can only be filled by a nose-loading 747F?

Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm curious about this, what roles can only be filled by a factory-built 747F that requires the nose-loading capability?

Is this feature something that was used more often in the past but less now, has its need remained constant over the years or is its need growing?

I know the 747 production line is being closed and no airline is able to order more. I'm just curious about this feature and its practical significance and prevalence in day-to-day cargo operations around the World.

flipdewaf

Re: Roles that can only be filled by a nose-loading 747F?

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 pm

Telling jokes?

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MoKa777
Topic Author

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:48 pm

Hahaha! Thanks for that one Fred!

fr8mech

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 pm

30’ish years ago, we were contracted to fly Paul McCartney’s (I think) stage set from city to city. No way the set could be loaded from the side door. Some of the individual bits were too long.

So, any load that can not be loaded through the side door would be a candidate, though going through the nose door does present a height restriction that the side door does not.

PatrickZ80

Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:42 am

MoKa777 wrote:
I know the 747 production line is being closed and no airline is able to order more. I'm just curious about this feature and its practical significance and prevalence in day-to-day cargo operations around the World.

That's not entirely true. The 747-8i (passenger) line has closed, however the 747-8F (cargo) can still be ordered. And they do come with the front cargo door.

Anyway, objects that requite the front cargo door would be odd-sized objects. Some very long things that require the full length of the plane. I recall an AN-124 loading/unloading trains through it's front door, I guess the 747 could do the same.

blandy62

Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:06 am

stuff like generator turbines, sail boats...

johns624

Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:55 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
That's not entirely true. The 747-8i (passenger) line has closed, however the 747-8F (cargo) can still be ordered. And they do come with the front cargo door.
Not anymore.

https://www.theregister.com/2021/01/13/ ... n%20ceases.

VMCA787

Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:28 pm

I can think of past loads I have flown with which had to be loaded by the nose only. A propeller shaft for an LPG tanker (ocean going) flown from AMS to SIN. The packing and length made it impossible to load through the side door. As already mentioned, turbine generator units, military kitchens which are shipped as all one unit. There is quite a bit that falls into a nose only load. IIRC the Formula 1 teams with their trailers were loaded via the nose.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 am

VMCA787 wrote:
IIRC the Formula 1 teams with their trailers were loaded via the nose.

Interesting. I wonder why though, since from what I can see none of the F1 cargo is so bulky that they can't fit through the side cargo door.

VMCA787

Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:16 am

Trailers with all the equipment packed in, sort of a traveling machine shop.

Boeing757100

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

Anyway, objects that requite the front cargo door would be odd-sized objects. Some very long things that require the full length of the plane. I recall an AN-124 loading/unloading trains through it's front door, I guess the 747 could do the same.

Sadly don't even think the freight queens can be ordered anymore. I think that the Triumph group who supplied main fuselage parts is pulled out. At a stretch, a miracle could happen and an order large enough for them to get back in could happen, but that is probably never going to happen

DarkSnowyNight

Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:35 am

Boeing757100 wrote:

Sadly don't even think the freight queens can be ordered anymore. I think that the Triumph group who supplied main fuselage parts is pulled out. At a stretch, a miracle could happen and an order large enough for them to get back in could happen, but that is probably never going to happen

They are out and they are not the only subcontractor to be so. No amount of orders can restart the line as that would require enough re-sourcing that the parts would need to be redesigned and approved by new vendors. This would prevent FAA certifications in a few places as grandfathering does not carry over for these exceptions. The 747 would need at least 500 orders and to be altered enough to be brought up to code. It is not quite to impossible, but you can see it from there...

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
VMCA787 wrote:
IIRC the Formula 1 teams with their trailers were loaded via the nose.

Interesting. I wonder why though, since from what I can see none of the F1 cargo is so bulky that they can't fit through the side cargo door.

Purely convenience. There is, in fact, zero need for the nose loader for those teams.