Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thebunkerparodi
Topic Author

how come air india 1990 rebrand failed so hard compare to other such as lufthansa?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:39 pm

Doing research on the jetley livery after seeing it in my french 15 volumes encyclopedia from the 90' "toute l'aviation", I found out it was part of a rebrand started by rajan jetley and that people in india didn't liked it at all. My idea is that it was way too radical and I don't think jetley management style helped. Article on the livery https://www.yesterdaysairlines.com/airl ... un-1987-90

Wednesdayite

Re: how come air india 1990 rebrand failed so hard compare to other such as lufthansa?

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:37 pm

I don’t smoke. But it is hard to look at that tail and not see a pack of Embassy.

TWA772LR

Re: how come air india 1990 rebrand failed so hard compare to other such as lufthansa?

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:22 am

Screams of some sketch ass leasing company hybrid scheme with AIR INDIA slapped on. I'm glad they reverted to the old livery. And I love their current one.

eta unknown

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:00 pm

I remember reading reports at the time that livery was pitched (by Landor?) to JAL and they rejected it.

thebunkerparodi
Topic Author

Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:49 pm

so the same kind of lviery was pitched to JAL?

cedarjet

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 am

The whole Flying Maharajah / Your Palace In The Sky thing really is a part of Indian pop culture. I’m glad people cared enough about their history to stop this.

BawliBooch

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:26 am

Rajan Jetley's baby all the way!

According to legend, Jetley asked one of his ad world buddies over for a drink and asked for Livery and rebranding ideas. School buddy from the Ad world drew the livery idea on a cigar box lying around. The red sash and all that ended up on the aircraft!

Dont think its true. But it would be entirely in line with how this character Jetley functioned!

eta unknown

Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:58 am

thebunkerparodi wrote:
so the same kind of lviery was pitched to JAL?

Yes- that was the rumour.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:15 pm

A book somewhere in storage in my garage mentions the story.

"Your palace in the sky!" - the original livery had individual "palaces" painted over all the windows. The new livery cheaped out on that...and the Indian public wondered "what else did they cheap out on?" Sales plummeted until Air India brought back the original livery.

If I knew where it was, I'd dig out the book and scan in a picture of the author's description. Maybe I'll find it when digging out Christmas decorations.

BawliBooch

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:42 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
A book somewhere in storage in my garage mentions the story.

"Your palace in the sky!" - the original livery had individual "palaces" painted over all the windows.

Palace Windows or "Jharokhas" to be exact! All windows except on top deck had a border done up to resemble Windows of Maharajah's palaces. The interiors of the 747-200s had ornate sidewalls with motifs/frescos taken from the various Indian temples and also an exquisite club on the upper deck. Cabin crew would change into Indian costume after takeoff for service on Upper Deck. This area was later repurposed with 22 Business Class recliners. The 747-300 and A310/A300 had less ornate sidewalls initially. The sidewalls were gone by the mid-90s and only seen on the 742s which lumbered on till 2003.

eta unknown

Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:01 am

I preferred the purple side walls to the pink ones!