Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aaden
Topic Author

Boeing’s Next plane

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:21 pm

Hello all,

I read a lot… probably too much, but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on the internet when it comes to what Boeing will do next in terms of developing its next commercial aircraft .

What does everyone on here think Boeing does next?

keesje

Re: Boeing’s Next plane

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:58 pm

A superior NB aircraft, NSA for the huge 150-200 seats up to 5 hours segment. ~10% better, based on low OEW, superior aerodynamics, just good enough capability for superior efficiency. Not based on engines the market leader will get too.

DenverTed

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:59 pm

Twin aisle 3000 to 5000 nm range aircraft. 797-5, 6, and 7. Same plan, but delayed, is my guess. The delay may mean a geared fan engine has time to be on the aircraft.

DartHerald

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:15 pm

I think it is more a question of what the market needs, and that I feel, as we go into an era where low carbon emissions are paramount, is probably more than one design. I believe that there should be more narrowbody designs optimised for a particular role - lightweight for short hops up to 1500m, medium sized for up to 3000m and heavier ones for up to 5000m - rather than trying to make a single design fill all three roles. There will still be a lot of commonality but carrying around excess weight on short or even medium length trips will be a no-no.

flipdewaf

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm

aaden wrote:
Hello all,

I read a lot… probably too much, but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus on the internet when it comes to what Boeing will do next in terms of developing its next commercial aircraft .

The consensus appears to be along the lines of a wide body that’s narrow that can perform widebody missions at narrow body costs in the middle of the market but only the short ones where it can turn quick because it’s got two aisles but no so wide aisles so it’s still light, like a narrow body. So it’s small seats and small aisles but big ones, you know, like comfy because it’s wide but cheap because it small and do 5000nm at M0.85 like a widebody but 0.78 because lifting bodies?

Oh! It’s definitely made of carbon!

In all seriousness I don’t think we know what Boeing will build, there is a lot of speculation and the only thing said by Boeing was around the size of the 321, everything else was speculation by the press.

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:28 am

Personally…. Boeing can’t worry about what is next when they can’t get their current planes right. In all honesty, my opinion is that Boeing is now in jeopardy of becoming just a military/defense and space contractor. Their civil aviation division may just shut down if losses continue. The 787 delays will lead to more compensation being dolled out. Just me thinking

PatrickZ80

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:46 am

flipdewaf wrote:
In all seriousness I don’t think we know what Boeing will build, there is a lot of speculation and the only thing said by Boeing was around the size of the 321, everything else was speculation by the press.

I think you're right about that one.

The MoM, which has been talked about for so long, will essentially be a 757 successor I believe. A long narrow body with enough range to compete against the A321XLR. Boeing tried to do that with the 737MAX but not really successful, after all the 737 design can only be upgraded that much. For a long range narrow body they'd need a whole new design, basically a narrow body copy of the 787.

Max Q

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 am

flipdewaf wrote:
aaden wrote:
Hello all,

The consensus appears to be along the lines of a wide body that’s narrow that can perform widebody missions at narrow body costs in the middle of the market but only the short ones where it can turn quick because it’s got two aisles but no so wide aisles so it’s still light, like a narrow body. So it’s small seats and small aisles but big ones, you know, like comfy because it’s wide but cheap because it small and do 5000nm at M0.85 like a widebody but 0.78 because lifting bodies?

Oh! It’s definitely made of carbon!

Fred

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think it will be composite

Unless some new ground breaking technology comes along that allows cheaper, easier construction of an airframe that’s significantly lighter than an aluminum aircraft and just as easy to repair I think the next clean sheet design from A or B will have a mostly metal fuselage of fairly conventional construction

The pay off hasn’t been there for composite aircraft so far, look at all the problems Boeing has had and is still having with the 787, and look at the A350 with its latest paint issues

What has been the point of replacing aluminum fuselages ?

These aircraft are barely any lighter, very expensive to build and tricky to repair.

The big improvements in fuel efficiency have come from vastly more advanced engines and better aerodynamics

The stronger structure allows for a higher differential pressure and lower cabin altitude but Boeing’s found a way to do the same thing on the new 777-9 with its aluminum body

I think composites will be consigned to history, at least for fuselage construction, they might build a composite wing for the next aircraft

N626AA

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:50 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
The MoM, which has been talked about for so long, will essentially be a 757 successor I believe. A long narrow body with enough range to compete against the A321XLR. Boeing tried to do that with the 737MAX but not really successful, after all the 737 design can only be upgraded that much. For a long range narrow body they'd need a whole new design, basically a narrow body copy of the 787.

I agree with you. I think the MoM will be narrow-body, ETOPS, and physically look like a scaled down 787 around the size of a 321 and maybe maintain some similar internal 787 structuring to its own scale.

jplatts

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:28 pm

A new narrowbody model similar in size to the 737 MAX 7 would likely have enough range for routes such as HNL-DAL/GUM/HOU/MCI/STL.

PatrickZ80

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
A new narrowbody model similar in size to the 737 MAX 7 would likely have enough range for routes such as HNL-DAL/GUM/HOU/MCI/STL.

The problem might be that a MAX 7 would be considered too small, you'd need something bigger. Not big enough for it to be a wide body but more like the size of a 757. That's what Airbus is doing with the A321, now with the A321XLR they've got enough range to fly those routes as well however with way more capacity.

The A321XLR definitely gives Airbus the upper hand at the moment and Boeing needs to respond to that. The 737 MAX 7 is not the right response, in fact the entire 737 MAX series is insufficient. The lower models are too small, the higher ones have insufficient range. You need a combination of both capacity and range, all while keeping it a narrow body.

rlwynn

Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:26 pm

757 MAX