Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MediumRareBaku
Topic Author

What US operators flew to the Canaries?

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:22 am

Other than the obvious and unfortunate case of Pan Am, I'm having a hard time finding information on what US carriers flew from the US to the Canary Islands. I'm sure there are folks out there who know. Can anyone enlighten me on past services, by whom and about when service ended?

mga707

Re: What US operators flew to the Canaries?

Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:40 am

MediumRareBaku wrote:
Other than the obvious and unfortunate case of Pan Am, I'm having a hard time finding information on what US carriers flew from the US to the Canary Islands. I'm sure there are folks out there who know. Can anyone enlighten me on past services, by whom and about when service ended?

The Pan Am 747 involved in the 1977 Tenerife disaster was a charter, as was the KLM 747. PA never had scheduled service to the Canaries. AFAIK, no US carriers did. TWA for many decades had scheduled flights to the Azores, but not the Canaries.

PatrickZ80

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:22 am

If I remember correctly, United flew to Tenerife in the past from Newark. Might have been charters though, not sure about that.

MediumRareBaku
Topic Author

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 pm

mga707 wrote:
MediumRareBaku wrote:

The Pan Am 747 involved in the 1977 Tenerife disaster was a charter, as was the KLM 747. PA never had scheduled service to the Canaries. AFAIK, no US carriers did. TWA for many decades had scheduled flights to the Azores, but not the Canaries.

That's interesting, I didn't know that about the Tenerife flights, I assumed they were scheduled.

davidjohnson6

Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:55 pm

I know it's the future rather than the past, but United will fly from Newark to Tenerife South this summer as a scheduled flight

debonair

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:08 pm

Many US airlines served the Canaries, albeit not from the US! Like Aeroamerica, AirBerlin USA, Modern Air...