Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

The feeling of misplacing a passport or travel document

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:44 am

Have you ever been in an airport and realized you misplaced your passport somewhere? You had it with you when you checked in and went through passport check.

But somewhere along the way, it fell out?

Not a great feeling! It’s happened a few times.

Then there was my flight where my passport was no where to be found. I finally discovered it wedged between the seat and the armrest. By wedged, I mean stuck. Required assistance to get it free.

Others?

GalaxyFlyer

Re: The feeling of misplacing a passport or travel document

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:51 am

I always put one passport in the same place, in a buttoned right hip pants pocket. Second passport, if it was on me, was in my briefcase. I did “inventory” of documents and briefcase every time I moved. I flew a lot international and always had the nagging fear you’re thinking of. We had corporate flight attendants perpetually losing their documents—“I put in the galley drawer”; “I thought I had it at the hotel checkout “; “it’s somewhere in my purse, open the plane up again, maybe its in my other bag”. Don’t miss that.

eurotrader85

Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:09 pm

I once left my passport at a duty-free shop counter in FRA, had it in my hand, put it down to pay etc, packed my purchases away and then walked off completely forgetting it. About 10 mins later realised it wasn't on me, panic setting in, retraced all my steps, got to the duty-free shop and bless the woman at the counter saying "looking for this?" Yeah, not a good feeling for that 10 mins, but oh the sweeping relief when being reunited was beautiful.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:57 pm

No, luckily I never misplaced it.

I have a hip bag in which I always keep my important papers such as my passport. I usually don't have a boarding card since I use my phone as a digital boarding card.

classicjets

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:22 pm

Once a hotel in Abu Dhabi took my passport from me at check in and then didn't return it to me at check out. I should have caught this but I got in a taxi to the airport anyway then realised and had to ask the driver to return. The hotel seemed to have lost it (!) but was able to find it after about ten minutes of staff yelling at each other. Not so much of a sinking feeling as excitement and anger toward the hotel. I still made it to the airport in time.

dredgy

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:45 am

I've misplaced it at airport security once in Paris. It either somehow fell out of the tub or someone took it at the X-Ray machine. I put it in the tub and it was not there when the tub came out of the X-Ray machine. Took nearly 20 minutes for anybody to find it after a long time of them insisting it was never in there.

My friends on the other hand, seem to hate having theirs. One lost his and didn't notice for 5 days until we were due to cross from Botswana to Zimbabwe. We had to drive all over Botswana to find it.

vedatil4

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 pm

I've never been more terrified as when I was inside Russia and misplaced my passport and the entry card they give you. I was thinking "Gulag" and in a heart-racing panic. Luckily I eventually found them in my backpack. But by then hotel security and the lady in charge of the room keys was alerted. I had to look up the word "stupid" in my translation dictionary and point at myself. The tour guides had warned us repeatedly. I'm sure I was turning pale.

Max Q

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:13 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
I always put one passport in the same place, in a buttoned right hip pants pocket. Second passport, if it was on me, was in my briefcase. I did “inventory” of documents and briefcase every time I moved. I flew a lot international and always had the nagging fear you’re thinking of. We had corporate flight attendants perpetually losing their documents—“I put in the galley drawer”; “I thought I had it at the hotel checkout “; “it’s somewhere in my purse, open the plane up again, maybe its in my other bag”. Don’t miss that.

Guess I’m missing something, second passport ?

acavpics

Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:17 am

This is something that I am ALWAYS afraid of.
To relieve this, I print out my boarding pass, have a phone copy, and request a copy from the check in counter when I can.
But even then, I do fear losing my wallet, phone, passport etc. Especially since they are so small and easy to lose.