Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vedatil4
Topic Author

Why no US or Canada flights to San Andres Island?

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:04 pm

Hello A.net friends,

Would someone explain to me why San Andres Island (ADZ) in the western part of the Caribbean Sea doesn't have direct flights from the US or Canada? Have they ever?

It seems like that ADZ airport is very busy. But practically all the flights are to/from Colombia. That forces tourists from North America to overshoot the island twice by almost two hours.

It seems like a great place. Any info will be appreciated.

trueblew

Re: Why no US or Canada flights to San Andres Island?

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:06 pm

I've wondered the same. I believe AA announced service from MIA-ADZ for this winter but I'm not certain if they ever commenced.

RJNUT

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:07 pm

I thought American Airlines just recently started twice x week from Miami

casperCA

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:08 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
Hello A.net friends,

Would someone explain to me why San Andres Island (ADZ) in the western part of the Caribbean Sea doesn't have direct flights from the US or Canada? Have they ever?

It seems like that ADZ airport is very busy. But practically all the flights are to/from Colombia. That forces tourists from North America to overshoot the island twice by almost two hours.

It seems like a great place. Any info will be appreciated.

Air Transat from Canada has had seasonal service there.

EcuaCan

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:09 pm

Air Transat used to, and their website still has info on San Andres, but notes that there will be no flights there for the 2021/2022 season.

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/colomb ... 2022-03-17

Western727

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Oooh, thanks for pointing this out. I've mostly overlooked this destination. San Andres Island just went way up my Caribbean list because it's no doubt more "exotic" than the other islands frequented by folks from the US.

OA260

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm

It was once a popular destination for Canadians a tour operator called Sunquest used to run regular charters there and had teamed up with Decameron resorts. Always fancied a trip there myself but would have meant AV via BOG.

vedatil4
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm

EcuaCan wrote:
Air Transat used to, and their website still has info on San Andres, but notes that there will be no flights there for the 2021/2022 season.

I see. Damn that pandemic!

If I lived in Montreal, this island would be on my radar of places to visit during the winter.

Any US carriers in the past though?

steex

Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:37 pm

vedatil4 wrote:
EcuaCan wrote:

I see. Damn that pandemic!

If I lived in Montreal, this island would be on my radar of places to visit during the winter.

Any US carriers in the past though?

AA (Eagle) is currently flying 2x weekly (Sat & Wed) with E75s from MIA.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:55 pm

IAH wouldn't do bad neither. Probably being looked at by UA since the market has gone to beaches than business.

TWA772LR

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:59 pm

IAH wouldn't do bad neither. Probably being looked at by UA since the market has gone to beaches than business.

PatrickZ80

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:01 pm

vedatil4 wrote:

The other option would be Copa with a transfer in Panama, that's less of a detour than Colombia. Although it would mean you'd have to clear immigration in San Andres since Panama to San Andres is an international flight. Transferring in mainland Colombia you can clear immigration there since mainland Colombia to San Andres is a domestic flight. Not sure what would be more convenient, Panama seems to be very good for international-to-international transfers. No need to clear immigration there, you can just stay airside.

But as said, American Eagle flies from Miami and Air Transat is listed as a seasonal route from Montreal but currently not bookable. If those two aren't an option, I'd certainly take Copa into consideration.

vedatil4
Topic Author

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:00 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
vedatil4 wrote:

The other option would be Copa with a transfer in Panama, that's less of a detour than Colombia. Although it would mean you'd have to clear immigration in San Andres since Panama to San Andres is an international flight. Transferring in mainland Colombia you can clear immigration there since mainland Colombia to San Andres is a domestic flight. Not sure what would be more convenient, Panama seems to be very good for international-to-international transfers. No need to clear immigration there, you can just stay airside.

But as said, American Eagle flies from Miami and Air Transat is listed as a seasonal route from Montreal but currently not bookable. If those two aren't an option, I'd certainly take Copa into consideration.

I thought about that possible connection in Panama City. I'd be tempted to stop and stay there for a few days though.

An overnight, non-stop, from LA, would be ideal. I'm surprised not to see a direct flight since there are flights to a place called Liberia in Costa Rica. Those beaches don't appear as nice based on pictures.

The Copa idea isn't out of consideration into the future. Rumors have existed for a while that someday they may fly in/out of San Diego. (closer to me)

Also, an international terminal at TIJ opening in a few months may lure Copa or a Colombia ULCC called Viva to the US west coast area.

But for vacation purposes, you just wanna get to a beach destination with the least risk or fuss possible.

vedatil4
Topic Author

Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:53 pm

Someone flew on the AA flight from San Andres to Miami and posted a trip report video. How sad that only 13 people were on the flight. The route should not be from Miami. Going from a beach destination to another beach destination doesn't make sense unless people are using a connecting flight. Besides, most people just want to fly direct when on their vacation. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52x61eE8MU