Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

J343
Topic Author

Lufthansa and Swiss Premium Economy

Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:50 pm

So Lufthansa and Swiss released details of their new upcoming Premium Economy. It looks good, however it seems to me that they went for the fixed shell design design. One thing that struck me though is the lack of cabin divider which makes the product less premium and less exclusive. Are there any other airlines that have no cabin dividers between economy and premium economy?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... t-for-2022

oldannyboy

Re: Lufthansa and Swiss Premium Economy

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:13 pm

I think that is a nice improvement and a solid and functional design (even with the hard shell). Y+ is quite literally a world of its own...I have seen airlines with Eco Plus cabins that were worse than some other airlines Y cabins, and Eco Plus cabins that were literally better tha C or J on another carrier...
On a separate note, the lack of a divider is generally signalling that the soft product is probably going to be pretty much aligned with regular Y.

Aresxerexade

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:09 pm

J343 wrote:
So Lufthansa and Swiss released details of their new upcoming Premium Economy. It looks good, however it seems to me that they went for the fixed shell design design. One thing that struck me though is the lack of cabin divider which makes the product less premium and less exclusive. Are there any other airlines that have no cabin dividers between economy and premium economy?

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... t-for-2022

A very nice seat. Beautiful. Hopeful for the comfort . I know some Air France passengers had comfort issues with their shell seat on their A380.

As for the dividers, not that I am aware of. Seems LH Group is leading the way with this trend.

ua900

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:58 pm

J343 wrote:
Are there any other airlines that have no cabin dividers between economy and premium economy?

PE on other carriers is usually a mini cabin, i.e. no need for a divider between the two. Probably more a matter of cabin layout than a matter of actual dividers as it's really more about the small but noticeable upgrade in service and the hard product one gets vs. "exclusivity" since the difference between the two is marginal compared to business.

Kinda like the intra-EU "business" class where a lot of times it's just a small partition at the upper half of the cabin and a flimsy curtain, but no real divider there either. The real luxury is slightly better service and *a sliver* of exclusivity that primarily consists of early boarding and a few courtesies along the way.