Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Concorde2fly
Topic Author

LON-SXM, an unserved opportunity?

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:16 pm

Long time reader, first-time poster: SXM is an attractive destination for numerous markets (historically French, Dutch, USA & Canada) and a large cruise port. Numerous large resorts and self-catering accommodation, multi-cultural, safe 'Friendly-Islands' etc.

With the UK's propensity to travel abroad to the Caribbean, I am trying to understand why no routes exist or have existing linking UK (London) with SXM. AF & KLM offer connections but this seems like a missed opportunity:
BA, Virgin & TUI UK all have a sizable holidays division and could operate the route in various forms to cater to the UK holiday & cruise market, particularly with Asia being closed and aircraft being available:
- British Airways: 1 stop via Caribbean islands similar to LGW-ANU-PLS/SKB or direct Aer Lingus UK or Level A332 similar to MAN-BGI
- Virgin: 1 stop via UVF/ANU A333 or triangle route
- TUI: triangle or 1 stop via UVF seasonal 787.
- Wildcard: AIr Caraibes A332 SXM-LON direct

Operations could be 1x or 2x a week, seems to be an interesting unserved market. Thoughts? Any insight on PDEW?

airbazar

Re: LON-SXM, an unserved opportunity?

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:27 pm

Here's my opinion: Like other Europeans, the brits too like to travel to their former colonies, hence why you don't see flights from the UK to SXM. And now that the UK has left the EU that is even more unlikely.

davidjohnson6

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:28 pm

There are a large number of islands in the Caribbean with flights to the UK. Many of these are countries that were previously under UK rule
Sint Maarten / Saint Martin has strong appeal to the French and Dutch, being under joint French/Dutch sovereignty. What does Sint Maarten / Saint Martin have to offer to UK residents which is different to the other islands ?

One could argue similiarly why Guadeloupe, Martinique, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao have no links to the UK - these are all larger tourist destinations from Europe, yet see few tourists from the UK

Brickell305

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:44 pm

The tourism authorities in SXM have been trying to get a flight to the UK for years. However, there are several former British colonies that already serve the market and quite amply I might add. The other main issue as I see it is that unlike other islands e.g. ANU, UVF, BGI, SXM isn’t very big on all inclusive resorts which seem to be the preferred type of accommodation for British travelers to the Caribbean. They do have some but not very many. The places in the region that aren’t former British colonies that have gained service to London such as PUJ and CUN are places that also offer many all inclusive resorts.

Concorde2fly
Topic Author

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:45 pm

I agree with that angle, but unlike Guadeloupe and Martinique, SXM has a large US/Canada appeal and therefore the English language makes it more appealing to the UK traveller. I would argue the opposite, given how 'similar' it is to the other Caribbean islands, ANU, UVF, GND it surprises me that there aren't flights. Also, SXM is very close to Anguilla and BVI, both still technically part of the UK. The other thing SXM offers that the other islands (except BGI) don't is the cruise port.

Aruba, as a good example, has seasonal weekly TUI UK flights from LGW.

rutankrd

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:10 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
There are a large number of islands in the Caribbean with flights to the UK. Many of these are countries that were previously under UK rule
Sint Maarten / Saint Martin has strong appeal to the French and Dutch, being under joint French/Dutch sovereignty. What does Sint Maarten / Saint Martin have to offer to UK residents which is different to the other islands ?

One could argue similiarly why Guadeloupe, Martinique, Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao have no links to the UK - these are all larger tourist destinations from Europe, yet see few tourists from the UK

Aruba has seen cruises with Tui from the UK.

As a point of entry for cruising Sint Maarten is midships so to speak .

And contrary to popular opinion UK travel to the Caribbean remains quite high cost and elite in many ways, especially beyond Jamaica and Barbadian VFR related traffic .

Traffic from Metropolitan France to France outré-mer has long been subsidised . Rather more so than The UK to Commonwealth not least because the Islands ARE politically FRANCE !

The archipelago is exceptional partisan

factsonly

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:15 pm

Concorde2fly wrote:
I agree with that angle, but unlike Guadeloupe and Martinique, SXM has a large US/Canada appeal and therefore the English language makes it more appealing to the UK traveller. I would argue the opposite, given how 'similar' it is to the other Caribbean islands, ANU, UVF, GND it surprises me that there aren't flights. Also, SXM is very close to Anguilla and BVI, both still technically part of the UK. The other thing SXM offers that the other islands (except BGI) don't is the cruise port.

The opposite - an EU carrier operating to a former UK island - has only just commenced, with KLM's 2021 launch of AMS-BGI.
That may be supported by KLM's strong UK regional network.

opticalilyushin

Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:44 pm

There was a rumour a few years ago of BA doing an Antigua tag-on to SXM. It would be fantastic to see, but I'll stick to my comfy 2-4-2 seating with KLM and AF over a cramped tourist 772!

caribny

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:19 pm

Concorde2fly wrote:

Culturally SXM is more like the English speaking Caribbean than it is like the French or Dutch speaking Caribbean. The Dutch side in fact appeals way more to the US traveler than it does to the Dutch. Whether the product and price points appeal to the UK traveler might more be the issue. That short runway also adds another excuse not to fly there.

caribny

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:23 pm

factsonly wrote:
Concorde2fly wrote:

The opposite - an EU carrier operating to a former UK island - has only just commenced, with KLM's 2021 launch of AMS-BGI.

BGI has had flights from Germany and elsewhere in Europe for at least 30 years. KLM has had operations into POS in the not too distant past. Jamaica gets loads of flights from all over continental Europe. Aside from the French islands people must really stop exaggerating the "colonial ties".

TC957

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:42 pm

I would have thought a 2 or 3 times a week LON-SXM service would do well. SXM is the gateway to many of the uber-luxury hideaways islands nearby. You only have to see the number of biz-jets at SXM to see that this part of the Caribbean attracts high net worth clientele.

caribny

Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:37 am

TC957 wrote:
I would have thought a 2 or 3 times a week LON-SXM service would do well. SXM is the gateway to many of the uber-luxury hideaways islands nearby. You only have to see the number of biz-jets at SXM to see that this part of the Caribbean attracts high net worth clientele.

EIS, AXA, and SBH already connect via ANU which has nonstop out of the UK, and has more flights, and likely better fares. Not sure that SXM appeals to the high end UK travelers, who prefer BGI and ANU.

MLIAA

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:38 pm

It is already incredibly easy for Britons to reach SXM (and most other islands in the Caribbean) from Heathrow via MIA or even ATL. This allows daily service and more flexibility for tourists.

TWA772LR

Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:02 am

MLIAA wrote:
It is already incredibly easy for Britons to reach SXM (and most other islands in the Caribbean) from Heathrow via MIA or even ATL. This allows daily service and more flexibility for tourists.

Or even AMS and CDG ;)

LBA1432

Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:01 am

I don't think there's a market for direct UK - SXM, anybody wanting to do this can do an easy 1 stop routing from the UK regionals via AMS. For most British visitors, the island is a Caribbean cruise stop.
The UK market to the Caribbean is heavily focused on former colonies, these routes are already well-served where they can be - similarly France and the Netherlands also have direct traffic to their Caribbean territories / former colonies like Aruba / Guadeloupe / Martinique etc.

caribny

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:51 pm

LBA1432 wrote:
I don't think there's a market for direct UK - SXM, anybody wanting to do this can do an easy 1 stop routing from the UK regionals via AMS. For most British visitors, the island is a Caribbean cruise stop.
The UK market to the Caribbean is heavily focused on former colonies, these routes are already well-served where they can be - similarly France and the Netherlands also have direct traffic to their Caribbean territories / former colonies like Aruba / Guadeloupe / Martinique etc.

Lots of UK visitors go to Cancun, Cuba and the DR as well. In fact the latter two compete very well in all of the European markets, not just Spain so this isnt just about colonial ties. SXMs issues with the UK is more about its price/product mix not necessarily what the UK traveler wants. In fact SXM has the feel of a former British colony. Its culture 100% matches that of the nearby islands like SKB and ANU. I am not sure that SXM is that popular with the Dutch traveler either.

eta unknown

Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:15 pm

factsonly wrote:
Concorde2fly wrote:

It commenced years ago: BGI with LTU.