Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rj777
Topic Author

AA inflight meal economy service

Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:54 pm

I heard that AA is bringing back hot food in first this summer, but what about economy? Reason I'm asking is I'm flying back to OMA on 8/1 from a cruise but the connection is at DFW from ANC which is a 6 1/2 hour flight (I had no say in booking the flight, the cruise line did). the only possible bright spot is that it's on an A321 NEO. Any advice would be helpful.

chonetsao

Re: AA inflight meal economy service

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:09 pm

Buy something before you get onboard. Maybe not in DFW as the food outlets are scattered around the whole complex and there might be any favourite food you like near your connecting gate.

But your best bet is to get some take away food before you heading to DFW unless you have a 2 hours connection in DFW then you might have a little bit time to explore and queue for take out.

rj777
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:18 pm

The only problem is that my flight leaves at 6AM.........

PI4EVR

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:26 pm

I think there are plans for AA to reinstate "meals to purchase" for Main Cabin flights by August 1st, but can't find a specific date. This would be sandwiches & cheese plate type meals as a BOB....buy on board. Hopefully someone at AA can respond to have more specific info and dates for you. Otherwise, since you are originating in ANC via DFW back to OMA, do plan to bring aboard your own selection of snacks and/or sandwiches you buy at ANC since you'll likely transfer directly from the ship to the airport. Keep an eye on AA.com, Click on Travel Information and the link to Main Cabin that includes outlines of food and beverage service on flights based on flight mileage distances. As of today it states food is not available to purchase, but that will be updated once the service is reinstated. As time permits once you're in DFW, a wide selection of food and beverage options are available to enjoy in the airport, or take on board the OMA flight.

PI4EVR

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:34 pm

OK I saw your update about a 6am departure so obviously you're overnighting in ANC in some form and should plan on getting something thru a hotel or restaurant or shops nearby the night before. Pastry or a simple sandwich you can refrigerate overnight will be a better option for you to enjoy than a Biscoff cookie and coffee.
I feel like the BOB service will be reinstated and you can plan on that once AA announces the date it is to re-start. They're adding alcohol to purchase in April so think food options are on the table to offer on long haul flights. Flights show "Refreshments" as basically beverages and the cookie, and would otherwise reflect "Food to Purchase" when BOB is back on board.

adamblang

Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:57 pm

American's economy meal information is here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... n-food.jsp

MIflyer12

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:06 pm

adamblang wrote:
American's economy meal information is here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... n-food.jsp

Which shows that domestic flights in coach (except select flight to Hawaii) don't get meals.

The OP's needs to self-cater if he wants to eat, no matter that ANC-DFW may clock in at 6:22. Such is the state of domestic airline service in this alleged service industry.

Ziyulu

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:08 pm

Only US airlines would operate 6 hour flights without meals. Most other countries would consider this torture.

rj777
Topic Author

Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:11 am

Finally got a response from American...after 2 weeks.... apparently in the Main Cabin..... all I'll get is Biscoff cookies and a drink service on long haul domestic. And I don't know what ANC has available at 5am.... this is just insane that they're bringing back hot meals in First Class but all us people in the cheap seats get is cookies!

AtlasRise

Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:18 pm

I understand the topic is about Y class, but can someone help answer a question about J class? I thought meals are served in J on all flights over 2.5 hours block time. I was on XNA-DCA (albeit Envoy but still AA J class nonetheless), which had a block time of 2 hours 33 minutes or something like that, just over the 2.5 hour threshold. But the FA came by with only the snack basket and nothing else. Did the 2.5 threshold get extended at some point? Is it 3 hours now?

BWIAirport

Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:54 pm

pretty surprised ANC-DFW isn't a redeye

Rookie87

Mon May 16, 2022 9:47 pm

AtlasRise wrote:
I understand the topic is about Y class, but can someone help answer a question about J class? I thought meals are served in J on all flights over 2.5 hours block time. I was on XNA-DCA (albeit Envoy but still AA J class nonetheless), which had a block time of 2 hours 33 minutes or something like that, just over the 2.5 hour threshold. But the FA came by with only the snack basket and nothing else. Did the 2.5 threshold get extended at some point? Is it 3 hours now?

Excludes regional partners according to their website

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/exp ... dining.jsp

davescj

Thu May 19, 2022 11:42 pm

AA is functionally a LLC esp in Y.

rj777
Topic Author

Sun May 29, 2022 3:43 pm

Just looked at AA's website as if I was booking the flight from ANC-DFW......looks like the plane might have seatback TV's!
(at least I'm hoping that's what that LiveTV icon means!)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7xbjnieualqhsi/AAANCDFW.jpg?dl=0

phatfarmlines

Sun May 29, 2022 4:20 pm

rj777 wrote:
Finally got a response from American...after 2 weeks.... apparently in the Main Cabin..... all I'll get is Biscoff cookies and a drink service on long haul domestic. And I don't know what ANC has available at 5am.... this is just insane that they're bringing back hot meals in First Class but all us people in the cheap seats get is cookies!

As you surmised in one of your earlier responses, there likely won't be any facilities open at that hour especially given staffing challenges at eateries. Which means, pack a breakfast before heading to the airport. Crazy how things have come to this huh?

rj777
Topic Author

Mon May 30, 2022 1:54 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
rj777 wrote:

As you surmised in one of your earlier responses, there likely won't be any facilities open at that hour especially given staffing challenges at eateries. Which means, pack a breakfast before heading to the airport. Crazy how things have come to this huh?

Tell me about it....

trent768

Mon May 30, 2022 3:54 am

Ziyulu wrote:
Only US airlines would operate 6 hour flights without meals. Most other countries would consider this torture.

Agree. Even the semi-LCCs here in my country will serve some sort of pastries for short flights and meals for any flights above 2.5 hours.

Not AA, but I remember reading here that UA didn't even offer complimentary meal for the 10ish hour EWR-HNL! Even if someone bought some food at the airport, I'm sure it won't taste good after sitting out in cabin temperature for quiet a while.

No wonder WN and B6 is thriving over there. If I ever moved to the US, unless I'm connecting somewhere else, I'll probably stay away from those "full service" carriers..

rj777
Topic Author

Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:27 pm

Looks like I'm getting a reprieve. According to our travel agent there was a schedule change and my entire family was switched to an Alaska flight for the return trip! So the new routing will be ANC-SEA-OMA (which was actually one of the flights I was looking at from the beginning before mom told me she had decided to let the cruise line pick the flights. The only hiccup is that instead of leaving ANC at 6:30am on Monday 8/1, it leaves at 11:30PM on 8/1. But actually, I'm ok with it..... AS has better food offerings than AA and the flight out of ANC will be half the time I was originally scheduled (ANC-DFW). Looking forward to my first flight on Alaska.