Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CantbeGrounded

Re: Too late to change these airport realities now?

Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:20 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
If you zig when others zag it becomes a much more enjoyable experience.
A lot of it helps when you just don't try to be in such an unnecessary hurry.

1) Get TSA precheck
2) Get club / lounge access
3) Have elite access
4) Pay for First when it make sense
5) Don't crowd the gate - sit in nearby adjacent uncrowded empty gate area
6) Check luggage when it makes sense; no need to fight the carry-on game if you don't need to
7) Take nonstop flights
8) Book reasonable length connections; not too short / not too long
9) If you aren't in a hurry don't rush off the plane let others go first
10) Golden rule; do unto others as you wish others to do to you
11) Be nice to airline employees
12) Have a back-up plan - whether that be alternative flights, renting a car/driving, spending the night in a hotel, or changing to a different day
13) Educate yourself on airlines procedures / processes
14) Know how to navigate the airlines website / mobile app
15) Understand you are one of many trying to get from Point A to Point B
16) In IRROPS suggest an alterative that works for you; be proactive
17) Don't be an idiot, dress reasonable, and have some self-respect

YES YES YES #5 - it makes such a difference! Combined with #6, especially. Huge stress reliever.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:49 pm

casperCA wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems some people don't quite understand what an airplane operated by a commercial airline really is.
It is a BUS WITH WINGS
You can paint it in fancy colours. You can put beds in it. You can serve the passengers nice food or sell them nasty food. Sometimes people pay a lot of money for their bus ticket. Sometimes the journey takes many many hours. A lot of people get very emotionally involved about this type of bus.
But it is still a BUS WITH WINGS

So I guess the private jet is the RV with wings.

That said, there are bus operators that are better than others.

Funny, we called out Globals “the world’s fastest RV”; but the G7500 is faster, so it’s now “the second fastest RV”.

PatrickZ80

Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:15 pm

IFlyVeryLittle wrote:
1) Are we forever stuck with this stupid practice of unbuckling and standing in the aisle the literal millisecond the airplane comes to a stop? Followed by the inevitable morons from the back rows trying to push toward the front at an airport where connections are very unlikely?

I'm afraid so, however it can be partially reduced by using both the front and the rear door for boarding/deboarding. This is what airlines like Ryanair and Wizzair do and it does save time using two doors instead of just one. It even says on your boarding card which door you are to take. Of course it helps that both airlines prefer to use stairs for boarding and aren't too fond of jet bridges.

ncflyer wrote:
Airlines should charge a hefty fee for overhead carry ons and allow checking for free. The current incentive is entirely backwards for a smooth boarding process.

That won't work since airports charge airlines fees for handling checked luggage but hand luggage is free. It may mess up a smooth boarding process but the minimal costs that are involved with that are completely nullified by the cost of handling checked luggage.

I'm all in favor of seat-assigned overhead compartments with dividers, and with the large overhead compartments that we see today that way everyone can bring a trolley on board and it won't cause any trouble at all. If all trolleys are placed in the overhead compartments vertically, there's enough for every single passenger to bring a trolley on board. The problem is that most people lay them down, in which case it obviously won't fit. Putting dividers in it will force people to place their trolley vertically in the overhead compartments.

You can't blame airlines for passing on the costs of handling checked luggage to the passengers, either as fees or as part of the ticket price. Hand luggage doesn't cost them anything except for maybe a few minutes during boarding, which costs way less than the bill they get for checked luggage. A smooth boarding process isn't the airline's number one priority, reducing the costs is. If that takes for a messy boarding process, then so be it.

USAAUA wrote:
Wonder if there is something that can be done with in-seat IFE. Maybe a red or green screen with a message? Local passenger or long connection, you get red. Tight connection, green screen.

That might be possible for airlines that do have an IFE, but remember that many airlines don't. In fact on most flights I've taken there was no IFE.

fabian9 wrote:
- Seat recline

Certainly, I hate it when the person in front of me reclines. Personally, I never recline. Luckily more and more airlines are switching to non-reclineable seats, which I think should be mandatory. Reclining is not of this time anymore, it's not necessary and it causes major inconvenience to the person behind you.

An 28" seat pitch is plenty sufficient as long as nobody reclines, however as soon as someone reclines it becomes a problem. I've flown Wizzair a good number of times, it's tight but not crammed because you're sitting upright, their seats are locked in position and can't recline.

airbazar

Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:08 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
N1120A wrote:
The security theater process in the US needs to be significantly streamlined.

Is it really that different in other countries?

Yes. For starters no one needs to take shoes off in other countries and the only reason other countries still have the stupid liquids ban is because the U.S. requires it for US-bound passengers. I'm sure there are exception but in the last 10 years I've only had to take my shoes off in the U.S.

LAX772LR wrote:
ncflyer wrote:
Airlines should charge a hefty fee for overhead carry ons and allow checking for free. The current incentive is entirely backwards for a smooth boarding process.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

BEEN saying this. This cargo bay is for everything-and-the-kitchen-sink; the overheads, are not.

Exemptions for medical necessities and baby gear, but other than that, they've got it so backwards.

The problem is airlines save huge amounts of money forcing passengers to carry their own bags to the plane rather than have to hire expensive union labor to do it for them and pay the respective airport fees. Then they charge passenger for the carry-on, on top of it :) It's every airline's bean counter's wet dream.

Kno

Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:26 pm

Does anybody else find these cry baby aviation snob attitudes just as obnoxious as people who travel like idiots?

There are dozens of ways to avoid dealing with the common frustrations.

Tired of boarding issues and scarce overhead bin space? Upgrade your ticket, become a rewards member, etc. There are many options available for those who want to board early.

Tired of security lines and people who rarely travel clogging them up as they struggle with the concept of removing a sneaker? Pre Check, Global Entry, Clear, etc

Tired of people rushing to get off the plane? Book longer connects or nonstops, don’t rush, and mind your business and relax in the seat until the coast is clear (it adds almost no time to do this). Hell we’re aviation nerds, visit the cockpit and say hi to the crew while you’re at it.

There are many options to upgrade your travel experience, and yes many of them are pay to play, but that’s literally the case with everything in life. At the end of the day we all get there at the same time and as much as everyone bitches about the travel experience it’s pretty remarkable that we can fly damn near anywhere on this planet within 24 hours for the price of a couple pairs of Nikes.

MartijnNL

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:27 pm

N1120A wrote:

Cory6188 wrote:

airbazar wrote:
Yes. For starters no one needs to take shoes off in other countries and the only reason other countries still have the stupid liquids ban is because the U.S. requires it for US-bound passengers.

Yes indeed. At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol shoes don't come off. And everything else stays in the bag. Including liquids. Big water bottles, coke cans, everything is allowed again. Finally. :thumbsup:

Cory6188

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:43 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
N1120A wrote:

Cory6188 wrote:

airbazar wrote:
Yes. For starters no one needs to take shoes off in other countries and the only reason other countries still have the stupid liquids ban is because the U.S. requires it for US-bound passengers.

Yes indeed. At Amsterdam Airport Schiphol shoes don't come off. And everything else stays in the bag. Including liquids. Big water bottles, coke cans, everything is allowed again. Finally. :thumbsup:

Fair point on the shoes - I'd honestly forgotten about it since I have Precheck. News to me on the liquids point - that is a huge difference. I stand corrected, in that case.

LAX772LR

Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:50 pm

Kno wrote:
Does anybody else find these cry baby aviation snob attitudes just as obnoxious as people who travel like idiots? .

:checkmark: :checkmark:

airbazar wrote:
The problem is airlines save huge amounts of money forcing passengers to carry their own bags to the plane rather than have to hire expensive union labor to do it for them and pay the respective airport fees.

Gonna pay airport fees on it regardless.

FGITD

Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:11 am

“Hire expensive union labor” ?!

When was the last time some of you flew, 1970?

PatrickZ80

Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:07 am

FGITD wrote:
“Hire expensive union labor” ?!

When was the last time some of you flew, 1970?

Nonetheless, handlers at airports got their tariffs for checked luggage regardless what their staff is paid for it. And it's not just the staff that costs money, it's the equipment and check-in desks as well.

Kno wrote:

Indeed there are, all of those things you listed are all valid. The problem is that they all cost money, which passengers likely aren't willing to pay. They'd rather deal with the frustrations.

I'm like that as well, I don't mind the fuss with boarding. That's just the way it goes and I accept it. But I do mind paying for upgrades, money doesn't grow on my back. So I make my choice and I never had any regrets.

ro1960

Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:30 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
fabian9 wrote:
- Seat recline

Certainly, I hate it when the person in front of me reclines. Personally, I never recline. Luckily more and more airlines are switching to non-reclineable seats, which I think should be mandatory. Reclining is not of this time anymore, it's not necessary and it causes major inconvenience to the person behind you.

An 28" seat pitch is plenty sufficient as long as nobody reclines, however as soon as someone reclines it becomes a problem. I've flown Wizzair a good number of times, it's tight but not crammed because you're sitting upright, their seats are locked in position and can't recline.

Seat recline gives a false impression of comfort. It overstretches your lower back specially if there is no footrest. A seat tilt would be definitely be more comfortable.

Most EU airlines I fly on gave up seat recline years ago and I don't miss it. It's the thinner seats that is more of a comfort issue.

Kno

Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:59 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Kno wrote:

Indeed there are, all of those things you listed are all valid. The problem is that they all cost money, which passengers likely aren't willing to pay. They'd rather deal with the frustrations.

I'm like that as well, I don't mind the fuss with boarding. That's just the way it goes and I accept it. But I do mind paying for upgrades, money doesn't grow on my back. So I make my choice and I never had any regrets.

That’s the attitude to have.

People who complain about the airline / airport experience are in reality just complaining that they don’t get more things for free.

It’s no different than complaining that your 94 Toyota doesn’t drive like a BMW or complaining that your McDonalds doesn’t taste like Ruth’s Chris.

Businesses, including airlines, are not charities - we are all welcome to spend more $$$ and upgrade our experiences.

I for one find the idea of first class and airport lounges silly. The idea of paying 3-8x the cost of my economy ticket to feel special because I got on a plane 10 minutes earlier (plot twist, it arrives at the destination at the same time) and I get to sit in a big chair for a few hours seems like a ridiculous proposition. If I find myself filthy rich one day with money to burn I’m sure I’ll change my tune, but for now it’s not a priority.

Kno

Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:01 pm

ro1960 wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
fabian9 wrote:
- Seat recline

Seat recline gives a false impression of comfort. It overstretches your lower back specially if there is no footrest. A seat tilt would be definitely be more comfortable.

Most EU airlines I fly on gave up seat recline years ago and I don't miss it. It's the thinner seats that is more of a comfort issue.

I really like this seat tilt idea. Do any airlines do this?

N1120A

Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:35 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Kno wrote:
Does anybody else find these cry baby aviation snob attitudes just as obnoxious as people who travel like idiots? .

:checkmark: :checkmark:

airbazar wrote:
The problem is airlines save huge amounts of money forcing passengers to carry their own bags to the plane rather than have to hire expensive union labor to do it for them and pay the respective airport fees.

Gonna pay airport fees on it regardless.

Carryons count differently from a weight and balance perspective and actually do affect the bottom line differently.

afcjets

Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:51 am

When I was a teenager and young adult First Class passengers were almost always last to board, so I have no idea why today they like to board first or why an airline would invite them to, unless the gate area is crowded.

ro1960

Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:45 am

Kno wrote:
I really like this seat tilt idea. Do any airlines do this?

I don't know if any do. I'm not sure it would be compatible with tight pitch as your knees would raise when the seat is tilted. I did find this interesting article about the Counter Balanced Motion (CBM) Seat, though.

Markus1986

Wed May 04, 2022 5:42 am

I am from Sweden, and I feel like our airports are super-relaxed compared to American airports;
at least domestic flights (I am not sure about international flights, but I guess that they are more strict).

I fly between Stockholm and Luleå pretty often, and my routines there are basically that I say my name at the reception desk (while handing in my luggage), then they look for my name and give me my ticket (they almost never ask me for any ID or anything), and then I walk up to the security checks, put my carry-ons on trays, and walk through a metal detector.
They don't even ask me to take off my shoes - I only take off my jacket, and I am not even sure if this is required, but I believe it is.
I also believe that the security checks are handled by ordinary security guards.

I am not sure what I am missing here;
I guess maybe they have a bunch of "discreet" security routines that the travellers don't actually notice, or maybe we are way too naive and complacent for our own good;
who knows.
But I would guess that they might have some extra technology built into the metal detectors that allow them to identify potential shoe bombers, or something like that;
we have never actually had any shoe bombers, and maybe 1-2 hijackings that didn't result in any fatalities, but those things could happen at some point in the future, so it would make sense if they are prepared for those things.

Markus1986

Fri May 06, 2022 5:10 am

I should probably add that we do of course have the most common-sense security procedures during my flights in Sweden as well;
we have bans on any carry-ons that can be used as weapons in some way, as well as a ban from visiting the pilots during the flights, and random extra checks of people at the security checks (some people can occasionally get their hands swabbed, or be asked to take off their shoes, although those things seem very rare), but I believe that that's pretty much it;
at least from my experience.

ro1960

Fri May 06, 2022 2:54 pm

Markus1986 wrote:
I
But I would guess that they might have some extra technology built into the metal detectors that allow them to identify potential shoe bombers, or something like that;
we have never actually had any shoe bombers, and maybe 1-2 hijackings that didn't result in any fatalities, but those things could happen at some point in the future, so it would make sense if they are prepared for those things.

Having to remove shoes at security checks is rare in Europe based on my experience. I've seen it happen but it seemed that certain types of shoes were targeted like boots.

Markus1986

Sat May 07, 2022 5:23 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Markus1986 wrote:
I

Having to remove shoes at security checks is rare in Europe based on my experience. I've seen it happen but it seemed that certain types of shoes were targeted like boots.

Boots might be treated differently - I have only worn shoes (both summer shoes and winter shoes), and the only time when they have asked me to remove my shoes was about 2 years ago, when I wore shoes that contained several metallic pieces.
But that part isn't really anything particularly new, since people have always needed to take off their shoes if they have triggered the metal detectors.

I have heard a lot of Americans say that they feel that the TSA are exaggerating the security routines, but I will not make any statements about that;
I can of course understand why American airports have reacted that way.
However, anything that can potentially happen at American airports can also happen at any other airport in the world, so it seems funny that Swedish airports appear to be significantly less meticulous about this, and seem to mostly focus on forbidding potentially dangerous carry-ons and banning all visits to the cockpits on the planes.
It seems to me as if those restrictions should take care of most potential threats, since they should prevent people from bringing dangerous items onto the planes and taking control over the planes.
But then again, I am not very familiar with how airports work, so there are probably a lot of factors that I am missing here.

davidjohnson6

Sat May 07, 2022 6:12 pm

If you want really laid back security.... try a domestic flight in Iceland. There is no security screening... at all. Even for something as large as a 76 seat Dash 8 Q400.

KlimaBXsst

Tue May 17, 2022 4:36 pm

Feeling air travel as an adventure is what I am increasingly missing the most.

Air travel is now more of a smelly school gym locker room, tube socks and holy white shorts experience rather than private riding lessons, birds, iced tea, cake and sandwiches in jodhpurs in a blooming spring garden

It’s a food court caravan collection dodging the homeless to and fro.