Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Favorite Eurowhite liveries?

Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:50 pm

Ok Ok I know. Eurowhite sucks! But, there has to be the best of the worst right? I think, for one, that the current DL livery really suits the airline, it's pretty iconic, and it kind of threw back to the days of the OG '90s widget (which obviously looked cooler). It also represents how the company successfully came back from CH11 and created a successful merger with NW.

However, one other eurowhite that was at least unique was the now defunct ECAir.
Image (planespotters.net)

Any others?
(and no, don't just be brutally honest and say "none" there's gotta be at least one ripe fruit in the rotten orchard.)

BoeingERJ1000

Re: Favorite Eurowhite liveries?

Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:18 pm

In random order:
JAL-yes, it's very minimalist, but the font and Tsurumaru logo are great.

Although the 1991 one was better.

Virgin Atlantic. I really like the metallic(?) red colors.

I don't know if it counts, but Alitalia's final scheme, with a gray/silver tail area, also looked quite good.

Austrian baby blue. The current one is good as well, but less distinctive. The myAustrian livery was meh.

Lufthansa, especially the one with the crane in a yellow background.

Lastly, I like JetBlue's varying tail designs and aircraft names with "Blue" puns. It's kinda fun seeing the name of the aircraft you're going on and what tail livery it has. The blue belly is also
a nice touch.

SRQKEF

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:15 pm

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
In random order:

I don't know if it counts, but Alitalia's final scheme, with a gray/silver tail area, also looked quite good.

Austrian baby blue. The current one is good as well, but less distinctive. The myAustrian livery was meh.

Lastly, I like JetBlue's varying tail designs and aircraft names with "Blue" puns. It's kinda fun seeing the name of the aircraft you're going on and what tail livery it has. The blue belly is also
a nice touch.

I wouldn't count VS and the latest AZ as Eurowhite, the fuselage is not white in that sense. I agree with you that the liveries are good though. Also, the blue underbelly of the previous OS and the current B6 livery places it outside of the Eurowhite distinction as well.

SRQKEF

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:21 pm

Personally, I really like the Garuda livery. The colors in the tail really pop.

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:33 pm

Garuda is pretty neat indeed, one of the best I think. Certainly among the larger airlines. EgyptAir is another one which I like.

There are some smaller airlines with very beautiful Eurowhite liveries as well, such as Air Seychelles and Air Caraibes.

BoeingERJ1000

Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
In random order:

a nice touch.

I wouldn't count VS and the latest AZ as Eurowhite, the fuselage is not white in that sense. I agree with you that the liveries are good though. Also, the blue underbelly of the previous OS and the current B6 livery places it outside of the Eurowhite distinction as well.

You’re right. Regarding the colored underbelly, now that I think about it, it’s not Eurowhite by definition as the fuselage isn’t 100% white.
Regarding VS and AZ not being Eurowhite, maybe that’s why I liked them so much :lol:

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:20 pm

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
Regarding the colored underbelly, now that I think about it, it’s not Eurowhite by definition as the fuselage isn’t 100% white.

In that case, a lot of liveries that most people consider to be Eurowhite aren't really Eurowhite. For example British Airways and the old Icelandair. The old Lufthansa isn't Eurowhite either since it has a grey belly. The new Lufthansa is, but it's far from my favorite. I still don't like it, it's not how Lufthansa is supposed to look.

But I agree with you, Eurowhite asks for a white belly. No color on the underside of the plane.

BoeingERJ1000

Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:26 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
Personally, I really like the Garuda livery. The colors in the tail really pop.

Quite beautiful. I didn’t like it at first, since the tail colors seemed a bit meaningless, but I guess they could be taken to represent Indonesia’s coastline.
This livery is quite distinctive, but still manages to look good, which is pretty rare nowadays.

SRQKEF

Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Garuda is pretty neat indeed, one of the best I think. Certainly among the larger airlines. EgyptAir is another one which I like.

There are some smaller airlines with very beautiful Eurowhite liveries as well, such as Air Seychelles and Air Caraibes.

Agreed on Egyptair, a really nice livery especially on the 777s and A330s.

RyanairGuru

Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:25 am

I personally like the original three that started the craze: Air France, Qantas, Emirates. AF dates from the late 1970s and QF and EK from the 1980s, but all three have update the font etc. so while the underlying design is the same they been updated so they still look fresh and modern.

My absolute favourite though is Fiji Airways. Such an awesome way to incorporate Fijian art into an otherwise minimalist design, it really ‘pops’ IMHO.

bfitzflyer

Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:19 am

Also a fan of the Air France livery. Simple & classic.

Ps762

Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:02 am

Hi,

Just to say many thanks for the thread/posts and maybe just try and add just one that I used to quite like and see from time to time at London Gatwick maybe around 2008. I'm pretty sure it was Eurowhite and was the livery that charter airline Excel Airways had at that time. I'm not sure why I liked it so much though just nice and colourful I guess but not overwhelming. And I think it was maybe often on Airbus narrowbodies at that time and I just thought that combo was cool. But alas I think Excel are around no more for quite a while now but some nice memories(!)

But otherwise some nice ones mentioned above I thought too. I agree Egypt Air on the 777 was also a great combo for me. And I don't think I ever saw an Air Caraibes plane for real but that was a great livery I thought too. And Air France and Lufthansa but again not sure if the Lufthansa I liked was Eurowhite.

But in general though for me I've never really been for or against Eurowhite I just like a scheme I like and that might also be a scheme combo with a specific airport or plane too I guess.

And finally there were the ones I just flew in Microsoft Flight Simulator and liked. Like the WinAir Twin Otter but I'm still not sure to be honest if that is Eurowhite or not?

But anyway many thanks again for reading my blurb and with greets,

Ps762

3points

Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:37 pm

LOT

3points

Sun May 01, 2022 12:44 am

Swiss

Finnair

TAP Air Portugal

ajs123uk

Sun May 01, 2022 8:28 am

So it seems despite all the moaning about Eurowhite liveries it turns out people do like them after all :lol:

PatrickZ80

Sun May 01, 2022 8:55 am

ajs123uk wrote:
So it seems despite all the moaning about Eurowhite liveries it turns out people do like them after all :lol:

You never heard me moan about them, in fact I liked them from the very beginning. Sure, some Eurowhite liveries are more beautiful than others but the concept has always been good.

Before Eurowhite you had the cheatlines, which were okay for their time but I've never been truly a fan of. In fact, it was refreshing to see those cheatlines removed. Also, I like how airlines paint their entire aircraft instead of leaving the belly unpainted like they often did before. Call me crazy, but I find bare metal to be ugly. I prefer to see it painted.

ajs123uk

Sun May 01, 2022 9:00 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
ajs123uk wrote:

You never heard me moan about them, in fact I liked them from the very beginning. Sure, some Eurowhite liveries are more beautiful than others but the concept has always been good.

Before Eurowhite you had the cheatlines, which were okay for their time but I've never been truly a fan of. In fact, it was refreshing to see those cheatlines removed. Also, I like how airlines paint their entire aircraft instead of leaving the belly unpainted like they often did before. Call me crazy, but I find bare metal to be ugly. I prefer to see it painted.

Exactly, times and trends change

Ps762

Sun May 01, 2022 12:15 pm

Hi (again thanks!),

So just to say many thanks for the further additions and maybe just add one more that I used to like around 2010 (probably playing Flight Simulator X and spotting!). That was Air Malta which I also think was/is maybe Eurowhite and I thought looked pretty nice on the Airbus narrowbodies (A320 series)?

And as for bare metal sorry going a little off-topic but I guess with my age I had to like the American Airlines all-metal paint I think. That one I thought used to look nice on the 777 back in the days when LGW/Gatwick had a viewing terrace(!)

Anyway many thanks again for listening/reading,

Pierre

BoeingERJ1000

Wed May 04, 2022 1:48 pm

Since my previous list was 90% non-Eurowhite, here is a remaster.

JAL: Minimalist, but it works.

Swiss: Simple and elegant. I especially like the previous version, without the billboard titles.

Helvetic: The gray titles and band of color stretching into the fuselage make this livery look quite sharp.

I was gonna add Austrian, but it looks too similar to Swiss.

That pic is pretty nice because it shows all 3 OS liveries. My favorite is the "baby blue" one, seen way in the background.

Aegean and Finnair: Representative of their countries.

Garuda Indonesia: The bird logo is really nice, and I like the titles over the wing instead of ahead of it, very original. The current livery is nice, but too abstract IMO.

Fiji Airways: Eurowhite done right. The Fijian art on the tail looks great, and incorporating it into the engines also helps. The typeface is also really nice. Despite using a rather typical formula, this livery is definitely an eye-catcher.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Wed May 04, 2022 3:41 pm

ajs123uk wrote:

Well, some are better than others... And, according to some on this thread, if the belly is painted, then it isn't Eurowhite, like DL for example.

hoons90

Thu May 05, 2022 12:20 am

ACDC8

Thu May 05, 2022 9:14 pm

I know I'm gonna be the odd one out on this one, but LH's new livery has really grown on me, actually like it a lot more than the previous.

RyanairGuru

Thu May 05, 2022 11:31 pm

ajs123uk wrote:

I think there is ‘euro white’ … and then there’s bland and boring.

Fiji and South African are very original and eye catching even though the air frame is almost entirely white. While quite bland, JAL is historic and arguably ‘iconic’.

I’m comparison, Lufthansa is unimaginative ‘corporate bland’, and China Eastern is better off not even acknowledged.

MrHMSH

Sat May 07, 2022 1:03 am

Don't know what it is, but I find the new QF livery to be great.

I have to echo the FJ suggestion, it's brilliant.

And lastly, I'm surprised how much I like AF's newest livery refresh. Something stylish about it despite the simplicity. So French.

3points

Fri May 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Conviasa
I like it

SpaceshipDC10

Fri May 27, 2022 2:06 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
Ok Ok I know. Eurowhite sucks!

I don't find all Eurowhite liveries suck, but I find some mostly white liveries were more inspired then than now. Here are two examples from the '60s/'70s.

I don't remember when did NA introduce the white belly but it was during the '70s.

PatrickZ80

Sat May 28, 2022 12:50 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I don't find all Eurowhite liveries suck, but I find some mostly white liveries were more inspired then than now. Here are two examples from the '60s/'70s.

Those aren't Eurowhite liveries, they both got cheatlines. Eurowhite means the absence of cheatlines.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat May 28, 2022 11:06 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Those aren't Eurowhite liveries, they both got cheatlines. Eurowhite means the absence of cheatlines.

Ok, and what about those with large titles?

PatrickZ80

Sun May 29, 2022 10:59 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Ok, and what about those with large titles?

You mean billboard liveries? Yes, that's Eurowhite. At least, it is as long as the plane is white and there are no cheatlines.

Some airlines like to cheat Eurowhite by having a cheatline very low on the belly. British Airways for example, their planes are mostly white with a blue bottom. That blue bottom disqualifies them as being Eurowhite, the separation line between the white and the blue can be seen as a cheatline. The previous Lufthansa livery did the same.

seat1a

Mon May 30, 2022 12:30 am

Is the new Condor livery considered Eurowhite even though they have bold vertical stripes? One additional comment, after seeing the Condor livery, I'm starting to see all other airline liveries as free of any original ideas. Not meant to be harsh, but when Air Baltic did the national flags on the fuselage (and standard yellow engine nacelles), I thought that was great. Now just boring compared to new Condor stripes!

trent768

Mon May 30, 2022 11:05 am

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
Garuda Indonesia: The bird logo is really nice, and I like the titles over the wing instead of ahead of it, very original. The current livery is nice, but too abstract IMO.
]

Fun fact about GA's title:
The placement actually depends on the aircraft's door configuration. They want the title to be fully visible at all time and didn't want them to be "sliced" when the doors are opened or blocked by the jet bridge when docked.

That's why the A330 has the over wing logo as well, because the distance between door 1 and 2 are too short to get the right title ratio. The 77W on the other hand, have enough space between the doors to put the title in the right ratio. Thus, the front placement. Even on the 737s, the title is put a bit rearward to ensure the visibility.

BoeingERJ1000

Mon May 30, 2022 1:40 pm

trent768 wrote:
BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
]

Fun fact about GA's title:
The placement actually depends on the aircraft's door configuration. They want the title to be fully visible at all time and didn't want them to be "sliced" when the doors are opened or blocked by the jet bridge when docked.

That's why the A330 has the over wing logo as well, because the distance between door 1 and 2 are too short to get the right title ratio. The 77W on the other hand, have enough space between the doors to put the title in the right ratio. Thus, the front placement. Even on the 737s, the title is put a bit rearward to ensure the visibility.

Interesting. Thanks for the information!

TUGMASTER

Tue May 31, 2022 7:40 pm

Favourite Eurowhite livery...?
For Christs sake, get a grip of yourselves......

and get a CHEATLINE.....!!!!!

END OF THREAD.

PatrickZ80

Tue May 31, 2022 8:53 pm

TUGMASTER wrote:

END OF THREAD.

Please no, cheatlines are ugly! Nowadays there are so much more beautiful things you can paint on an aircraft. All kinds of shapes and curves. Straight lines are boring, they're not of this time anymore.

BoeingERJ1000

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:31 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
TUGMASTER wrote:

END OF THREAD.

Please no, cheatlines are ugly! Nowadays there are so much more beautiful things you can paint on an aircraft. All kinds of shapes and curves. Straight lines are boring, they're not of this time anymore.

Very bold statement! I agree that nowadays you can do more interesting things with aircraft, but straight lines look more dignified IMO. That being said, it's not like all cheatline liveries are a work of art. Quite a few of them (old Garuda Indonesia, old blue Icelandair) blended in with the crowd and looked generic. But just as many, if not more, looked interesting and original. Such as:

Regarding Aer Lingus, which would you say is more original and eye-catching? This or their generic Eurowhite livery?

Sorry if this is off-topic.
Last edited by BoeingERJ1000 on Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BoeingERJ1000

Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:49 pm

seat1a wrote:
Is the new Condor livery considered Eurowhite even though they have bold vertical stripes?

Not in my book, because the fuselage isn't completely white. It's the same as a cheatline livery, for example, Continental's [beautiful] Meatball scheme. The fuselage is partially white, but it has a horizontal line (actually 2 in this case) running across its length, so it isn't Eurowhite because there's color on the fuselage.

seat1a

Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:18 am

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
seat1a wrote:
Is the new Condor livery considered Eurowhite even though they have bold vertical stripes?

Not in my book, because the fuselage isn't completely white. It's the same as a cheatline livery, for example, Continental's [beautiful] Meatball scheme. The fuselage is partially white, but it has a horizontal line (actually 2 in this case) running across its length, so it isn't Eurowhite because there's color on the fuselage.

Didn't Continental have three horizontal lines - gold, red and orange? There was a lot of white on the belly, too!

Would today's Delta be eurowhite? Great topic!

BoeingERJ1000

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:53 am

seat1a wrote:
Didn't Continental have three horizontal lines - gold, red and orange? There was a lot of white on the belly, too!

Oh yeah, they did have 3 stripes! I didn't notice the orange

seat 1a wrote:

Hmm. Well, I'd say no since the aircraft's belly is painted. I'd consider it a special kind of Eurowhite due to the painted belly.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2022 6:41 pm

seat1a wrote:

Most of the fuselage is white only the tail, engines, winglets, and underbelly are painted. There is a very loose definition for eurowhite so some people think it is, some don’t.

AirKevin

Thu Jun 02, 2022 10:57 pm

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Wouldn't adding the airline titles be, by definition, adding color to the fuselage.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:28 pm

BoeingERJ1000 wrote:
Very bold statement! I agree that nowadays you can do more interesting things with aircraft, but straight lines look more dignified IMO. That being said, it's not like all cheatline liveries are a work of art. Quite a few of them (old Garuda Indonesia, old blue Icelandair) blended in with the crowd and looked generic. But just as many, if not more, looked interesting and original. Such as:

Regarding Aer Lingus, which would you say is more original and eye-catching? This or their generic Eurowhite livery?

Indeed they did look interesting and original, but still they're not of this time anymore. They suited the times in which they were used, but they're outdated now. The same goes for the old Aer Lingus livery, it's not ugly but it's outdated. It suited the previous decade. The new Aer Lingus livery isn't the best but at least it's modern, but instead of a complete overhaul they could have tweaked their existing livery to make it look modern again.

KLM is known for that, they constantly adapt their livery to the modern times. That way they keep their recognizability while never getting outdated. Over time, the dark blue line on KLM has gone from a thick cheatline to a thin waveline. KLM is an example of an airline doing it right. There was a time when the KLM livery and the Aer Lingus liveries looked very much alike, only KLM had blue where Aer Lingus had green. Aer Lingus could have done what KLM did and it would have been perfect.

PatrickZ80

Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:45 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Wouldn't adding the airline titles be, by definition, adding color to the fuselage.

Yes, but that's not bad because there's nothing surrounding those titles. Nothing but whiteness.

There can be color on the fuselage, but no horizontal lines. Take this one for example:

That's Malaysia Airlines, definitely Eurowhite. There is color on the fuselage, a red and a blue part. They're waves, triangles if you want to see them that way. It gives the aircraft a modern look, way better than the previous Malaysia Airlines in which those colors were cheatlines. That definitely wasn't Eurowhite.

For that reason, Continental Meatball scheme can't be considered Eurowhite even though most of the fuselage was white. But it was interrupted by horizontal stripes which went from front to rear, Eurowhite should be uninterrupted whiteness. You should be able to draw a line from top to bottom without ever meeting anything other than white.

BoeingERJ1000

Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:34 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
BoeingERJ1000 wrote:

Indeed they did look interesting and original, but still they're not of this time anymore. They suited the times in which they were used, but they're outdated now. The same goes for the old Aer Lingus livery, it's not ugly but it's outdated. It suited the previous decade. The new Aer Lingus livery isn't the best but at least it's modern, but instead of a complete overhaul they could have tweaked their existing livery to make it look modern again.

KLM is known for that, they constantly adapt their livery to the modern times. That way they keep their recognizability while never getting outdated. Over time, the dark blue line on KLM has gone from a thick cheatline to a thin waveline. KLM is an example of an airline doing it right. There was a time when the KLM livery and the Aer Lingus liveries looked very much alike, only KLM had blue where Aer Lingus had green. Aer Lingus could have done what KLM did and it would have been perfect.

Good points. I agree that these liveries did look a bit outdated.