Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TexasAirCorp
Topic Author

Unserved/Underserved US Routes Thread

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:56 pm

Randomly thought up of this idea; I've seen tons of posts in random threads (usually Allegiant/Avelo/Breeze discussion) about routes/markets in the US which could potentially work. I think it would be a good idea to bring all these into one thread.

Post any serious ideas you have about air markets that are currently either unserved or underserved, and would be able to support service. It could be a single route, a series of routes from one destination, or a potential carrier base. Stick to US airports.

Only rules: be creative, but use some common sense. Only post ideas that could seriously work, nothing you'd like to see just because it would be nice. If possible, add some context as to why you think it would work (e.g. market dropped by another airline, migration, strong indirect traffic etc).

Let's see how this goes!

Wneast

Re: Unserved/Underserved US Routes Thread

Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:00 pm

GEG-MCO
GEG-ONT
GEG-HNL

dfwjim1

Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:35 pm

Perhaps West Palm Beach to England, France and/or Germany.

PatrickZ80

Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:40 pm

Surprisingly PDX-MIA is unserved. Those are two rather major airports. As an alternative, PDX-FLL is served by B6 but no airline flies PDX-MIA. I think it might be the largest gap in the US when it comes to potential capacity.

As for possible airlines to fly it, AS could out of PDX or AA out of MIA.

CrookedBill

Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:50 pm

ANC-BOS
ANC-CLT
ANC-DTW
ANC-IAD
ANC-JFK
ANC-MIA
ANC-MCO
BWI-SJC
DEN-SJU
DTW-SJU
EWR-SJC
HNL-MIA
IAD-OAK
IAD-SJC
JFK-MEM
JFK-OKC
JFK-STL
MEM-SEA
MEM-SFO
OKC-PHL

Plenty to choose from.

sea13

Sun May 01, 2022 4:09 am

St. George (SGU) to Southern California is no longer served. A ton of people the last several years have moved from SoCal to the St. George area and there is a bunch of business, cultural, and family connections on both ends.

I think DL/OO should jump on the route by doing a routing of SLC-SGU-LAX-SGU-SLC.

airlineworker

Sun May 01, 2022 12:48 pm

TexasAirCorp wrote:
Randomly thought up of this idea; I've seen tons of posts in random threads (usually Allegiant/Avelo/Breeze discussion) about routes/markets in the US which could potentially work. I think it would be a good idea to bring all these into one thread.

Post any serious ideas you have about air markets that are currently either unserved or underserved, and would be able to support service. It could be a single route, a series of routes from one destination, or a potential carrier base. Stick to US airports.

Only rules: be creative, but use some common sense. Only post ideas that could seriously work, nothing you'd like to see just because it would be nice. If possible, add some context as to why you think it would work (e.g. market dropped by another airline, migration, strong indirect traffic etc).

Let's see how this goes!

"Randomly thought up of this idea; I've seen tons of posts in random threads (usually Allegiant/Avelo/Breeze discussion) about routes/markets in the US which could potentially work. I think it would be a good idea to bring all these into one thread." Bad idea, these airlines are growing very quickly and to bunch them all together would make going through page after page to find an airline someone is following. Look at the number of posts for these ULCC's. If there were only a handful of posts for these carriers, your idea might work, but it's not that way. It's fine the way it is.

ibthebigd

Mon May 02, 2022 11:31 pm

IND-SAN
IND-PDX
IND-SJC
IND-LHR
IND-RDU
IND-BDL
IND-SLC

SBN-DEN
FWA-DEN
LEX-DEN

CVG-SAN

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

PSAatSAN4Ever

Tue May 03, 2022 5:06 pm

SAN-DCA was served until AA switched the route authority to LAX.

That ridiculous perimeter rule needs to go away.

SAN-BFL would be a godsend, again - the eleven months ExpressJet flew this route saved me time, money, and aggravation! But BFL, being the premium traffic black hole of non-existence that it is, can barely support anything, much less a specialty route.

jplatts

Wed May 04, 2022 12:08 am

CVG-IAH/HOU with UA down to 2x daily nonstops on CVG-IAH and with WN having already dropped CVG-HOU nonstop service

PatrickZ80

Wed May 04, 2022 8:18 am

jplatts wrote:
CVG-IAH/HOU with UA down to 2x daily nonstops on CVG-IAH and with WN having already dropped CVG-HOU nonstop service

2x daily is more than royal, that's far from unserved. I mean, some routes are only served 1x weekly. Why would you need more?

jplatts

Wed May 04, 2022 12:32 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
jplatts wrote:

2x daily is more than royal, that's far from unserved. I mean, some routes are only served 1x weekly. Why would you need more?

CVG had 6x daily nonstops to IAH 3 years ago when both UA and DL were serving IAH nonstop from CVG.

CVG is seeing reduced nonstop service to Houston due to the operational issues that UA and WN are facing.

ibthebigd

Sat May 07, 2022 2:08 pm

I saw recently STL and CVG don't have flights to the Bay Aeea right now.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

ElroyJetson

Sat May 07, 2022 9:46 pm

RIC-SLC MSP-DUB TPA-AMS MIA-TYO ORF-STL

PatrickZ80

Sat May 07, 2022 11:22 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
RIC-SLC MSP-DUB TPA-AMS MIA-TYO ORF-STL

I guess you missed one little rule in the opening post:
TexasAirCorp wrote:
Stick to US airports.

I saw DUB, AMS and TYO in your list, that's against the rules because they're outside the USA. We're talking domestic routes only, nothing international.

YYZORD

Sun May 08, 2022 9:20 am

YVR-MCO/FLL & YYZ-SNA

PatrickZ80

Sun May 08, 2022 12:27 pm

YYZORD wrote:
YVR-MCO/FLL & YYZ-SNA

Again, US domestic routes only. YVR and YYZ are not in the US, therefor these routes don't qualify for this threat.

SkyVoice

Mon May 09, 2022 4:47 am

ibthebigd wrote:

Not only that, but currently there is no CVG-STL direct service at all. I was a CSA for Comair (OH) right before the pilots' strike, and both our flights and TWA's were routinely full. The majority of that traffic turned out to be O&D! There was a fair amount of CONX PAX, but I was shocked to learn the truth. The same thing was true for CVG-GRR, but currently there is no direct service between those markets at all.

ibthebigd wrote:
LEX-DEN, CVG-SAN

I agree with both of those.

jplatts

Mon May 09, 2022 7:04 pm

SkyVoice wrote:
ibthebigd wrote:

Not only that, but currently there is no CVG-STL direct service at all. I was a CSA for Comair (OH) right before the pilots' strike, and both our flights and TWA's were routinely full. The majority of that traffic turned out to be O&D! There was a fair amount of CONX PAX, but I was shocked to learn the truth. The same thing was true for CVG-GRR, but currently there is no direct service between those markets at all.

I had recently mentioned the possibility of WN adding STL-CVG nonstop service over in the St. Louis Aviation Thread with CVG being one of the top destinations traveled to from STL prior to the COVID-19 pandemic that is no longer served nonstop from STL.

There are a few cities closer to STL than CVG that still have nonstop service out of STL on WN such as MDW, DSM, MCI, and BNA.

WN had also recently added SMF-SBA nonstop service, which is similar in length to STL-CVG. However, there are fewer connecting opportunities available on the WN SMF-SBA route (mostly to the Pacific Northwest) than what WN would be offering on STL-CVG if STL-CVG nonstop service is added by WN.

WN would probably do better on STL-CVG than on SMF-SBA due to
(a) CVG being in a much bigger market than SBA,
(b) WN having served the CVG market for almost 5 years whereas WN has only served SBA for a little more than a year,
(c) the additional connecting opportunities that would be there on STL-CVG if STL-CVG nonstop service is added by WN compared to what WN will be offering on SMF-SBA.

WN would be entitled to incentives from STL Airport under its New Airport-Wide Non-stop Destinations Program (according to http://flystlbusiness.com/portals/0/AirServiceIncentiveProgram.pdf) if STL-CVG nonstop service is added by WN.

WN would also be entitled to unserved market incentives on STL-CVG from CVG Airport (according to https://www.cvgairport.com/docs/default-source/leadership/2022/cvg---air-service-incentive-program-2022---2025edf43544-e221-440d-a83f-f5431188bf83.pdf?Status=Master&sfvrsn=ebb15915_3) if STL-CVG nonstop service isn't added by WN or another airline prior to March 2023 as STL-CVG nonstop service was dropped by DL in March 2020.

jplatts

Mon May 09, 2022 7:05 pm

ElroyJetson wrote:
ORF-STL

I agree that WN re-adding ORF-STL nonstop service might be a possibility once WN has more staff and more planes with ORF being one of the top destinations traveled to from STL that isn't currently served nonstop from STL.

jplatts

Mon May 09, 2022 7:17 pm

ibthebigd wrote:
CVG-SAN

I probably would not expect WN or AS to add CVG-SAN nonstop service anytime soon as both WN and AS have recently had to make some cuts from West Coast cities due to the operational issues that both WN and AS are currently facing. WN has also already completely dropped plans to resume IND-SAN and MKE-LAX nonstop service in Summer 2022 (according to a post at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1472343&p=23276869&#p23276667) due to the operational issues that WN is currently facing.

There is a risk of DL delaying the resumption of CVG-SAN or dropping plans to resume CVG-SAN nonstop service if DL re-adds CVG-SAN nonstop service back into its schedules with DL still continuing to push back the resumption date of CVG-ORD/DFW/SFO nonstop service.

F9 re-adding CVG-SAN nonstop service might be a possibility with F9 having recently re-added CVG-PHL/RDU nonstop service and with F9 originally having plans to operate CVG-SAN nonstop service in Summer 2020 until the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

G4 adding less-than-daily CVG-SAN nonstop service might also be a possibility with SAN being one of the top markets traveled to from CVG that is no longer served nonstop from CVG along with G4 already serving LAX nonstop from CVG.

bfitzflyer

Tue May 10, 2022 12:01 am

FAT- ATL, would think DL could make this work.

jplatts

Fri May 13, 2022 4:18 pm

There was a discussion regarding the top domestic routes within 1780 miles (and within the contiguous U.S.) not served nonstop by AA/DL/UA/AS (by PDEW's) at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1469043&p=23183817.

maps4ltd

Fri May 13, 2022 7:18 pm

SLC-RSW, LAX-RSW, PDX-PHL

BoeingGuy

Sun May 15, 2022 6:06 am

maps4ltd wrote:
SLC-RSW, LAX-RSW, PDX-PHL

AS flies LAX-RSW.