Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Connecting from a premium product to economy

Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:43 pm

What is the most jarring example you have from being on a premium flight and then going directly to a non-premium flight?

There is one time that I flew Concorde from London to JFK. My onward connection to LA was canceled. I had to then get on board a j41 prop flying to Dulles, and then on to Los Angeles. The juxtaposition was pretty stark.

davidjohnson6

Re: Connecting from a premium product to economy

Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:02 pm

I flew on a Citation II from La Seu d'Urgell near Andorra to Madrid on a scheduled service (demand was very low, so carrier substituted in cheapest available aircraft to operate) as one of 3 passengers, followed by Ryanair to London Stansted. The experiences are different

LHRBFSTrident

Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:05 pm

My parents came to visit from the UK and due to a terrible LHR snafu (terminal swap) they missed the LAX non-stop and were put on the LHR-SFO flight in BA F.

Proactively I booked the most sensible (on my dime!) connection SFO-LAX on WN - their comment by sms: 'We've been told to stand under a sign with numbers - is that normal?' - it was only then i realized the disparity in travel experience

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:29 pm

Isn’t every long haul flight that connects to Euro business an example? The latter product is pretty awful, especially as far as hard product.

BuildingMyBento

Sun May 01, 2022 5:14 pm

Back in 2007, I remember landing at the previous DOH terminal, and then connecting to a J flight "boarding" from the Premium Terminal. Yeesh, that old DOH had some horribly low ceilings, like Stapleton.

zrs70
Topic Author

Sun May 01, 2022 9:06 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Isn’t every long haul flight that connects to Euro business an example? The latter product is pretty awful, especially as far as hard product.

Yes, as far as hard product as you wrote.

That said, I always enjoy euro business. Something is just a little calmer and more dignified than us domestic.

ua900

Tue May 03, 2022 10:00 pm

My personal favorite is UA since I fly them a lot, though I'm sure others aren't far behind with this kind of scenario: Polaris to domestic UAX on something smaller than the E75 on a flight less than 2 hours.

1. Decent Meals > not even the option of a buy on board snack
2. Backseat entertainment > hope you have a window seat
3. Beverage service > non-existing on many short flights, not even a water service
4. Consistency > total crapshot

zrs70 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Yes, as far as hard product as you wrote.

That said, I always enjoy euro business. Something is just a little calmer and more dignified than us domestic.

Agreed that the Euro business hard product itself is worse than the exit row in economy.

But the meal service, attention paid to passengers, and lack of complimentary upgrades all make a difference.

I mean, how much does Do & Co vs. Chelsea catering or fine china vs. cheap generic mug or removal of 2-3 types of minis really cost or save? The difference in presentation standards and food quality seems obvious. Maybe that's the proverbial removal of one olive from every salad served to passengers, but folks *do* notice, *because* it doesn't stop there. If it did, the difference when connecting from a premium product to economy would be far less striking.

bfitzflyer

Wed May 04, 2022 12:07 am

I have done the opposite, flew premium economy on China Airlines from SFO to TPE and next flight did not offer premium economy so move up to business class on second leg from TPE to DEL. It was an old business class product on an A330 which was still way better than say US domestic first clas, That said allowed for lounge access in TPE and was able to take a shower, which was huge.

KLMatSJC

Wed May 04, 2022 12:22 am

Got to do a private jet empty leg from SJC to MCC on a Lear 45. Then had to take the Amtrak Capitol Corridor back home....

PlymSpotter

Fri May 06, 2022 9:17 pm

Flew into London from Singapore in Business Class, then took a National Express coach the five hours back home. That sucked.

ACDC8

Sat May 07, 2022 10:01 am

Done lots of flights from long haul business class to Dash 8, ATRs, and the like. Never phased me one bit. Did end up on DB from FRA to DUS one time though, while the ICE is cool and comfortable, I'd still rather be in the air.

conaly

Sat May 07, 2022 12:44 pm

First class from Bogota to Frankfurt (748), Business Class from Frankfurt to Paris (A321), Economy from Paris via Zurich back to Nuremberg (A223 and E190) and then with commuter trains back home. All on the same day.

StlHsvSfoSan

Thu May 12, 2022 6:47 am

I was supposed to fly SYD-LAX on a QF A380 in Business and then LAX-STL on an AA MD-80 in domestic F. This was still during the aftermath of QF32 (A380 operations were just about to restart the week after I came back), so they rebooked me on a QF 747-400 in business class for SYD-LAX, but in economy on AA for the LAX-STL leg (this was the Monday after Thanksgiving, so I was a little surprised there were any seats available at all).

Needless to say, I was very ready to get off the plane in STL. SYD-LAX leg was fine (1 hour delay for a maintenance issue, after everyone had boarded the aircraft), but 12 hours in J, 3-hour connection, and 4 hours in Y, I was tired of sitting in an airline seat. Unfortunately I was near the back of the aircraft in a window seat, so I had to sit in the economy seat for a while longer waiting for the people ahead to exit the plane.

Airstud

Thu May 12, 2022 7:45 am

PlymSpotter wrote:
Flew into London from Singapore in Business Class, then took a National Express coach the five hours back home. That sucked.

Well how uncomfortable are these National Express coaches? :boggled:

I've been on Greyhound buses and Trentway-Wagar ones in Canada and they were pretty comfy. Upholstered, reclining seats and all...

eastafspot

Thu May 12, 2022 8:03 pm

Not my experience, but read from this comment from this memorable great trip report :smile: (Africa 2: SN BRU-BJM, SA BJM-KGL. Biz To Burundi by Gabrielchew):

viewtopic.php?t=973263

I was also rather intrigued about the concept of couchsurfing, which I'd never heard of before. I'm more the pampering luxury kind of traveler. I thought it was quite funny because I guess a tent in a strangers back yard is probably not the typical kind of accommodation for your average Business Class passenger.

Reply #11:

viewtopic.php?t=973263#p13050223

N1120A

Fri May 13, 2022 2:59 am

Long haul business to EuroBiz is always jarring, as is switching to a CR2.

Airstud wrote:
PlymSpotter wrote:

Well how uncomfortable are these National Express coaches? :boggled:

I've been on Greyhound buses and Trentway-Wagar ones in Canada and they were pretty comfy. Upholstered, reclining seats and all...

Certainly not as comfortable as Airline business class.