Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JKzhong
Topic Author

Transcontinental Economy Free Meal Service Gone?

Mon May 16, 2022 6:27 pm

Just took my UA flight from EWR to SFO, 5+ hour flight (which is supposed to be a flagship route I suppose), no meal, and could not get a second cookie, not to mention the mass at boarding.

Genuinely disappointed at how bad the service has been, which brings me to the question, is meal service in coach class gone on all domestic flights or am I just too detached from the norm :D ?

Done a little research and it seems like only AA still offers it on select routes like JFK to LAX/SFO (at least from their website) while all others only say "available for purchase" - just wondering if any other airline offers free meals on domestic flights on other routes bc it actually makes a huge difference in experience.

Ps: miss my flights in Asia where you get a full meal plus a pre-arrival sandwich on a 1.5-hour flight.

Judge1310

Re: Transcontinental Economy Free Meal Service Gone?

Mon May 16, 2022 6:56 pm

The short answer: Welcome to the North American aviation market! It has been many years since regular economy customers received complimentary meals on transcon flights so this shouldn't be a surprise. I mean, hot and cold light meals are offered for purchase and there are plenty of options to bring one's own choice of meal from inside the terminal.

But I dislike when folks say "bad service"...it's such a catch all that it loses any sort of meaning. Were the FAs not nice? Other than not having a meal on the flight, every customer is *literally* told what the service will be in their cabin of service via the United app and website. It shouldn't be a surprise. And let's face it: if carriers starting offering complimentary Y-class meals on transcons, unless they were Business/First quality, many of you lot (not all) would be right here complaining about what is being offered.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Mon May 16, 2022 7:14 pm

United's last meal service for coach was, to my knowledge, in 2005. I flew United IAD-SAN and was expecting peanuts, but I got a hot meal. "Flights over XXX hours still get a meal". It was nice, but I knew it wouldn't last...and my next transcon flight on UA was buy on board, which I think is a MUCH better idea - easy, storable, and re-useable from flight to flight. I still prefer that if flying domestically in the U.S.

It's also easier for the food choices to be at the airport and not the airplane, again, for the same reasons. However, do not EVER plane on having ANY kind of food choices available on a plane, as there may be complications: In 2015, after a disastrous 3½ hour connection at DFW turned into a 20-minute sprint from gate to gate, pushing not one but two non-related-but-still-trying-to-connect wheelchair-bound passengers to the gate with us (because there were no AAirline personnel as promised to do so), we had hoped to purchase from the "Buy On Board" menu.

Zip. Zilch, Nada. Nothing was available at all. "Yeah, well, sometimes they don't cater the plane". the flight attendant told me Not even peanuts on that three hour flight. I've never been so hangry in all my life, especially since every single aspect of the incident was out of my hands.

At least the flight attendant was pleasant about it. When we finally made it to the gate, seconds before they were closing the door, that agent scolded us by saying, "where have you been?", as if all of the delays and IRROPS involved were OUR fault personally for making this flight almost late.

haynflyer

Mon May 16, 2022 7:18 pm

Hawaiian Airlines provides meals consistently on all it's flights flying outside the State of Hawaii.

I just flew back from EWR-HNL non-stop on United and I got a stale roll, a cup of yogurt and I think a piece of fruit for breakfast. I'm used to abysmal free food options and didn't mind since the buy on-board hot items are really good. No hot items were loaded for the flight. I don't think this is normal for a 9-hour flight, but I could be wrong.

GlobalAirways

Mon May 16, 2022 7:28 pm

haynflyer wrote:
Hawaiian Airlines provides meals consistently on all it's flights flying outside the State of Hawaii.

I just flew back from EWR-HNL non-stop on United and I got a stale roll, a cup of yogurt and I think a piece of fruit for breakfast. I'm used to abysmal free food options and didn't mind since the buy on-board hot items are really good. No hot items were loaded for the flight. I don't think this is normal for a 9-hour flight, but I could be wrong.

Hawaiian is generally more expensive too.

MIflyer12

Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 pm

JKzhong wrote:
Done a little research and it seems like only AA still offers it on select routes like JFK to LAX/SFO (at least from their website) while all others only say "available for purchase" - just wondering if any other airline offers free meals on domestic flights on other routes bc it actually makes a huge difference in experience.

If enough people flying U.S. domestic routes agreed with you that 'it makes a huge difference in experience' they would be willing to pay for it in higher fares, and carriers would happily serve something.

DL tried adding coach meals on a few routes:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /97997860/

I don't recall if the service continued until Covid.

phllax

Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 pm

United was offering free meals in Y+ on EWR-LAX/SFO until the pandemic. Delta was offering free meals in Y on transcon flights in at least 12 markets: BOS-SFO, BOS-LAX, BOS-SEA, DCA-LAX, JFK-PDX, JFK-SAN, JFK-SEA, SEA-FLL, SEA-MCO and SEA-RDU, JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO Neither have returned yet.

dcaproducer

Mon May 16, 2022 7:47 pm

phllax wrote:
United was offering free meals in Y+ on EWR-LAX/SFO until the pandemic. Delta was offering free meals in Y on transcon flights in at least 12 markets: BOS-SFO, BOS-LAX, BOS-SEA, DCA-LAX, JFK-PDX, JFK-SAN, JFK-SEA, SEA-FLL, SEA-MCO and SEA-RDU, JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO Neither have returned yet.

Correct, Delta offered wraps served with a side and cookie on transcon routes that mostly operated as DeltaOne routes. Ie JFK-LAX/SFO, DCA-LAX, etc.
This hasn’t returned yet post COVID, but it would not surprise me to see if come back as well as paid menus on other long routes.

The big 3 have been struggling to get meals back in First Class, so it doesn’t surprise me that Y is lagging behind.

CarlosSi

Mon May 16, 2022 7:48 pm

Buy on board is best IMO (for airlines and pasengees). Or heck, I’ve always been a proponent of “pre-buy hot meals” so the airline knows how much they need exactly. You don’t want it, it’s already paid for. No loss by the airline. Offer non-perishable items for purchase in addition.

NYCAAer

Mon May 16, 2022 7:49 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
haynflyer wrote:

I flew JFK-HNL-JFK on Hawaiian in November 2019, in a coach seat with more legroom. There was no choice of entrees, all meals were vegetarian, and portions were small, but food quality was pretty good. They served a second meal before landing, it came in a nice bag and had a focaccia sandwich and some other things, I can’t remember now. Served by wonderful flight attendants and they gave me mimosas on the house, I’m not sure if they’re free or if they just thought I was nice. If I ever go back to Hawaii, I’d fly them again in a heartbeat. It’s Hawaii as soon as you step onboard!

ContinentalEWR

Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 pm

American will give Economy Class passengers on the 321T service between JFK-LAX and SFO a choice of up to three complimentary snacks. They're not meals, but they are a bit more than snacks. It's usually fruit & cheese, cold oatmeal, or waffle during breakfast hours and on eastbound daytime flights, it is the cheese and fruit plate or some sort of wrap. Not a meal, but I guess it is something. Airport concessions in many places have improved and many just bring their food on board, which ads to the level of overall discomfort at times when flying in the back of the bus.

CrimsonNL

Mon May 16, 2022 7:59 pm

Are the US airlines at least offering something like a sandwich or meal as BoB these days? I was always sorely disappointment to find a pricey "snack box" with nothing but a piece of cheddar and some crackers as a "meal" on domestic US flights..

LAXffDUB

Mon May 16, 2022 8:00 pm

Just did a trip w. DL; JFK/LAX in Y. We left a little after 5PM. I was expecting some sort of meal service as it was dinnertime by the time we reached cruise. Nothing. Not even a BOB option. Just beverages w. pretzels or cookies. I overheard some passengers voicing their displeasure as they watched the meal service underway up front. FAs were empathetic while encouraging them to share their experience on social media.

MIflyer12

Mon May 16, 2022 8:11 pm

CrimsonNL wrote:
Are the US airlines at least offering something like a sandwich or meal as BoB these days?

BoB has been distance-dependent for a while now, although I wouldn't call anything I've seen a meal, not on AA/DL/AS. Think 3+ hour flight to find a sandwich or wrap.

Really, just buy it (and pay too much!) at the airport shops. That gives you better variety and the near-certainty of having something on-board if you want it. (I've never seen the airport shops sold out, but I have encountered airport shops not open.)

WayexTDI

Mon May 16, 2022 8:38 pm

There is an obsession with the American public to have food in a plane. Can you really not go 6 hours without eating? Most of the world do, why not the US?
Also, the food in planes is generally meh at best, and your taste buds are numb anyway; so, you're much better off with food from somewhere else

PHLspecial

Mon May 16, 2022 8:50 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
There is an obsession with the American public to have food in a plane. Can you really not go 6 hours without eating? Most of the world do, why not the US?
Also, the food in planes is generally meh at best, and your taste buds are numb anyway; so, you're much better off with food from somewhere else

Because the rest of the world offers better service than the US airlines. I got a cold sandwich on my 3 hour flight. On AA I get one cookie for a 6 hour flight.

BA744PHX

Mon May 16, 2022 8:57 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Because the rest of the world offers better service than the US airlines. I got a cold sandwich on my 3 hour flight. On AA I get one cookie for a 6 hour flight.

You can buy food on board, sadly most Americans prefer cheap fares over food, not that fares are cheap now.

GlobalAirways

Mon May 16, 2022 8:57 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:
haynflyer wrote:

I flew JFK-HNL-JFK on Hawaiian in November 2019, in a coach seat with more legroom. There was no choice of entrees, all meals were vegetarian, and portions were small, but food quality was pretty good. They served a second meal before landing, it came in a nice bag and had a focaccia sandwich and some other things, I can’t remember now. Served by wonderful flight attendants and they gave me mimosas on the house, I’m not sure if they’re free or if they just thought I was nice. If I ever go back to Hawaii, I’d fly them again in a heartbeat. It’s Hawaii as soon as you step onboard!

I would love it if Hawaiian serviced inside the 48, give these other guys a run for the money, but then again who knows?

MIflyer12

Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

It is an Asian obsession, apparently. See the OP.

USAirALB

Mon May 16, 2022 9:10 pm

With the exception of UA and AS (on their Boeing fleet, at least), US carriers have ripped out their ovens from their Y galleys on their domestic fleet, so even if they theoretically wanted to resume hot meal service domestically, they couldn't. Hence why the complimentary "meals" AA provides on BOS-LAX and JFK-SNA/SFO/LAX are essentially cold, fresh snacks; fruit/cheese plate, hummus plate, sandwiches, wraps, overnight oats, etc. DL offered the same type of product before they discontinued their complimentary "meal" service on select domestic transcons pre-pandemic. The DL markets were JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX, SEA-RDU/MCO/FLL, BOS-LAX/SFO/SEA, and DCA-LAX.

Full, hot meals have largely been gone for 15+ years now. UA hasn't had hot meals domestically since 2005/2006 (I believe the PS flights were the last holdout), DL hasn't had hot meals since 2003, and IIRC AA discontinued hot meals on their transcon runs in 2005/2006. The last holdout was CO until 2010, but they really weren't full meals. You would get a hot breakfast sandwich with yogurt, fresh fruit, and a muffin in the morning, and a hot sandwich or pizza with chips, cookies, and potato/macaroni salad in the afternoon/evenings. Shorter flights would have cereal+milk, a muffin, and a banana in the morning, and afternoon/evening flights would have a turkey sub with an apple and chips. I actually miss those turkey sandwiches...I remember them being relatively decent and fresh tasting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UA resume their hot meal service in Economy Plus on transcon routes again.

txjim

Mon May 16, 2022 9:20 pm

I would rather have my choice of carry-on options purchased in the terminal and eaten at my leisure than depend on whatever the flight happened to cater that day. I realize the first response will be "airport XXX does not have this option" but, for the majority of travelers, you have every opportunity to pack a wrap or a couple pieces of fruit.

whisperjet727

Mon May 16, 2022 9:22 pm

My southwest flight departing Reno took a 50 min delay because they ran out of seatbelt extensions. The last thing most Americans need is another cookie.

SPREE34

Mon May 16, 2022 9:22 pm

BA744PHX wrote:

You can buy food on board, sadly most Americans prefer cheap fares over food, not that fares are cheap now.

That^^^^^^right there. The average passenger doesn't want to pay a dime extra for any service, and the market has accommodated that.

WayexTDI

Mon May 16, 2022 10:04 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

That has nothing to do with what I said.
Can you really NOT go 6 hours without eating? Sorry, but I can, and do on a daily basis.
Americans need to be surrounded by food and sodas, wherever they go.

I prefer saving the airline food cost on my ticket and have a nice pleasant meal before or after my flight.

WayexTDI

Mon May 16, 2022 10:05 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

OP was talking about food on US transcontinental flights.

WayexTDI

Mon May 16, 2022 10:07 pm

SPREE34 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

That^^^^^^right there. The average passenger doesn't want to pay a dime extra for any service, and the market has accommodated that.

But I'll go back to my first question: do you really need to be fed for flights up to 5-6 hours? The answer is no.

Vicenza

Mon May 16, 2022 10:41 pm

SPREE34 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:

A bit simplistic though considering I don't know anyone who wants to pay more for anything in life if they can avoid it. And your 'average passenger' certainly includes the vast majority of a.net just to be clear.

PHLspecial

Mon May 16, 2022 11:46 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Can you really NOT go 6 hours without eating? Sorry, but I can, and do on a daily basis.

I prefer saving the airline food cost on my ticket and have a nice pleasant meal before or after my flight.

Sure I can go 6 hours without eating, that's not the point. AA DL UA wants to be treated like premium airlines yet the domestic flights are like ULCCs. F9 and NK you know what you are paying for. It's suppose to be cheap. AA DL UA is suppose to be the U.S. premium airlines and they charge like it. I expect more out of that service.

PHLspecial

Mon May 16, 2022 11:52 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

AA didn't offer that and AA still doesn't have buy on board today. I guess I can go buy food before my flight but some places like PHL shops aren't open at the times I need.

gwrudolph

Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 pm

GlobalAirways wrote:
NYCAAer wrote:
GlobalAirways wrote:

I would love it if Hawaiian serviced inside the 48, give these other guys a run for the money, but then again who knows?

United also serves a complimentary meal or gives on free BOB item on their longer Hawaii flights. Coming back out of OGG to ORD it was a small hot meal similar to what they give in Y on international flights so I would say comparable to what Hawaiian gives for free on their mainland flights.

As for Hawaiian serving mainland only flights and showing up the big three, I would disagree. Their infra-Hawaii flights are just awful. The ground staff couldn’t be more rude, the boarding process is chaotic, those 717s are the most uncomfortable things in the air, and those water cups with the foil lid is a joke. Nothing special about Hawaiian short haul flights in my opinion.

USAirKid

Tue May 17, 2022 12:07 am

Airline food used to be a joke and people didn’t want it.

Not having plentiful buy on board thought for any flight over 3 hours is cruddy. (Even if it is just something that is shelf stable, like hummus and chips.)

4engines4short

Tue May 17, 2022 12:29 am

USAirALB wrote:
With the exception of UA and AS (on their Boeing fleet, at least), US carriers have ripped out their ovens from their Y galleys on their domestic fleet, so even if they theoretically wanted to resume hot meal service domestically, they couldn't. Hence why the complimentary "meals" AA provides on BOS-LAX and JFK-SNA/SFO/LAX are essentially cold, fresh snacks; fruit/cheese plate, hummus plate, sandwiches, wraps, overnight oats, etc. DL offered the same type of product before they discontinued their complimentary "meal" service on select domestic transcons pre-pandemic. The DL markets were JFK-LAX/SFO/SEA/PDX, SEA-RDU/MCO/FLL, BOS-LAX/SFO/SEA, and DCA-LAX.

Full, hot meals have largely been gone for 15+ years now. UA hasn't had hot meals domestically since 2005/2006 (I believe the PS flights were the last holdout), DL hasn't had hot meals since 2003, and IIRC AA discontinued hot meals on their transcon runs in 2005/2006. The last holdout was CO until 2010, but they really weren't full meals. You would get a hot breakfast sandwich with yogurt, fresh fruit, and a muffin in the morning, and a hot sandwich or pizza with chips, cookies, and potato/macaroni salad in the afternoon/evenings. Shorter flights would have cereal+milk, a muffin, and a banana in the morning, and afternoon/evening flights would have a turkey sub with an apple and chips. I actually miss those turkey sandwiches...I remember them being relatively decent and fresh tasting.

I wouldn't be surprised to see UA resume their hot meal service in Economy Plus on transcon routes again.

I thoght thay where still doing hot meals in first pre pandemic?

USAirALB

Tue May 17, 2022 12:47 am

4engines4short wrote:
USAirALB wrote:

I thoght thay where still doing hot meals in first pre pandemic?

This thread is about Y class, so everything in my post was in reference to the Y cabin.

All carriers were still doing hot food in F pre-pandemic, and all have resumed so in one shape or another.

einsteinboricua

Tue May 17, 2022 1:08 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
If enough people flying U.S. domestic routes agreed with you that 'it makes a huge difference in experience' they would be willing to pay for it in higher fares, and carriers would happily serve something. pocket the difference and cut back some more

Fixed it for you. The era of any meals in coach is gone. Coach passengers could sign petitions tomorrow asking airlines to bring back hot meals, the airlines could all raise fares for the same amount, and after a while, they'd cut back and simply pocket the difference.

What I think will win many passengers over is an opt-in style of purchase: offer coach passengers the same meal (or different but still something hot) as first class, but rather than it being included in the price of the ticket, charge them for it. For a full course meal like they do in first class, I'd happily pay $20-$30, even if just served in a plastic container instead of fancy dishware. Knowing that on a 3hr+ flight I have the option of a decent meal would definitely be worth it. And given that passengers order their meal ahead of time, the airline wouldn't lose money unless they're offering the meals at a discount.

"Go eat at the airport". Not every airport has decent options and not everyone has the time to eat something prior to arriving at the airport. Snacks can only sustain you for so long too.

lat41

Tue May 17, 2022 1:18 am

Depending on the airline, aircraft or layout of the cabin, many modern planes don't have the equipment or room in the galley to offer much in the first place. As long as I can get a drink, either with alcohol or without and a little bag of something, that is enough for me.

BarrenLucidity

Tue May 17, 2022 1:29 am

PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Define the world here because most of the world doesnt have six hour transcons. Intra-EU you get nada, you don't even get 30" of leg room most of the time. Intra India, no. Intra Japan? No. New Zealand? No. Canada? Nah. I can't remember Qantas but I'm leaning towards nah. Such hyperbolic fake outrage.

USAirALB

Tue May 17, 2022 2:03 am

BarrenLucidity wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Define the world here because most of the world doesnt have six hour transcons. Intra-EU you get nada, you don't even get 30" of leg room most of the time. Intra India, no. Intra Japan? No. New Zealand? No. Canada? Nah. I can't remember Qantas but I'm leaning towards nah. Such hyperbolic fake outrage.

First, it's unfair to compare internal Japan and New Zealand flights to the domestic US market, as stage lengths are significantly shorter.

I'm not sure about the other carriers, but AI provides hot meals in Y on domestic segments longer than 120 minutes, with flights between 60-120 minutes receiving a sandwich box. QF provides free meals and snacks on all domestic flights, and trans-tasman sectors get an intercontinental-level meal service; did you do research before you said "nah"? You mention New Zealand...NZ offers a "Koru Hour" on domestic flights during peak times on their A320, featuring a breakfast snack in the morning, with cheese/crackers or chips in the evening with free wine, beer, and cider. US airlines don't offer an equivalent service anymore on their shorter domestic flights.

While EU carriers have certainly cut back, AF and KL still dish out free snacks/sandwiches/hot meals and free beer/wine on their European sectors, as does TK and A3, along with a couple other niche, smaller carriers, so certainly that isn't "nada" like you claim. Again, it's somewhat unfair to compare EU with US carriers, again, because stage lengths are longer in the US. On longer stage lengths in Europe (such as US transcon length, or even shorter), virtually all EU carriers still do a tray service with a hot meal. For example, they still provide a hot meal to TLV...ZRH-TLV is only 1747 miles, a distance shorter than BOS-DEN, yet LX specifically markets a free meal service.

BawliBooch

Tue May 17, 2022 6:29 am

BA744PHX wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

You can buy "food" on board? Those snack boxes with pretzels, nuts and cookies are not Food! I am ok with paying upto $15 for a proper meal

On a 2.5 hr Thai Airways flight, we were served a full hot meal on Tray. On the same segment took Air Asia Thailand on the return, prebooked hot meals on a tray with "complimentary" beer were available for purchase for $7! Street food, but a it was proper Hot Meal! That is less than what those snack boxes cost on American Airlines.

Something is rotten in the US in the Airline catering business in the US. Greedy Catering companies combined with Airlines obsessed with cutting every last olive?

Josh76040

Tue May 17, 2022 7:10 am

This is what the US public wanted with its quest for cheap fares. Enjoy.

I don’t know why people can’t just pack a small box of protein bars; granola bars; nut bars and the like in their carry-ons. I know I can certainly satisfy my hunger enough to hold me over till we get on the ground with things like this. Take care of your own needs. Everybody nowadays wants everything done for them. Take some responsibility.

BarrenLucidity

Tue May 17, 2022 10:20 am

USAirALB wrote:
BarrenLucidity wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

First, it's unfair to compare internal Japan and New Zealand flights to the domestic US market, as stage lengths are significantly shorter.

I'm not sure about the other carriers, but AI provides hot meals in Y on domestic segments longer than 120 minutes, with flights between 60-120 minutes receiving a sandwich box. QF provides free meals and snacks on all domestic flights, and trans-tasman sectors get an intercontinental-level meal service; did you do research before you said "nah"? You mention New Zealand...NZ offers a "Koru Hour" on domestic flights during peak times on their A320, featuring a breakfast snack in the morning, with cheese/crackers or chips in the evening with free wine, beer, and cider. US airlines don't offer an equivalent service anymore on their shorter domestic flights.

While EU carriers have certainly cut back, AF and KL still dish out free snacks/sandwiches/hot meals and free beer/wine on their European sectors, as does TK and A3, along with a couple other niche, smaller carriers, so certainly that isn't "nada" like you claim. Again, it's somewhat unfair to compare EU with US carriers, again, because stage lengths are longer in the US. On longer stage lengths in Europe (such as US transcon length, or even shorter), virtually all EU carriers still do a tray service with a hot meal. For example, they still provide a hot meal to TLV...ZRH-TLV is only 1747 miles, a distance shorter than BOS-DEN, yet LX specifically markets a free meal service.

You've essentially proven my point here. Nobody has an equivalent market, you aren't comparing apples to apples, and those carriers that are providing hot meals over certain lengths (~+1500 nmi) are flying highly competitive international routes. There are also plenty of transcons that were exceptions prior to COVID so we'll need to see if those return. I don't think you can compare QF, with any other carrier. They've got all sorts of interesting economics.

bfitzflyer

Tue May 17, 2022 11:53 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

Your jumping here, just because of an Asian name used in a post and a mention of trips to Asia does not mean this person is not make this an Asian obsession.

CrewBunk

Tue May 17, 2022 1:02 pm

Josh76040 wrote:
This is what the US public wanted with its quest for cheap fares. Enjoy.

This is it exactly. Since Deregulation (yes, I’m that old), it has been an interesting economic exercise as we watched airlines evolve.

And … not just cheap fares, or reduced service, but all facets were explored. For example, there were about a dozen airlines, new and old, that offered “more” for a slightly higher fare. Those airlines all failed. It’s simply not what the average American passenger wants.

If airline “A” offered greater legroom, meals, alcohol for a slightly higher fare, the average passenger would choose airline “B” which offered nothing, but was cheaper. It’s the old marketing adage; you can’t tell a consumer what he wants, he chooses the product that best suits him.

But, look at it from the other side of the coin. If American (for example) started serving meals in economy, for say, $15 higher fare, do you honestly think people would choose them over United (for example). Historically, they have not.

BuildingMyBento

Tue May 17, 2022 1:13 pm

I've taken a number of domestic flights in the U.S., Russia, and China. Prices are high for invariably bad food -- whether it's for taking on the plane, or sitting down at a restaurant -- at all airports, and airline food is shite.

What I typically do is visit a supermarket before the flight and get one savory and one sweet snack, and perhaps an apple. This covers me for the flight, and many potential delays.

WayexTDI

Tue May 17, 2022 3:11 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
PHLspecial wrote:

Sure I can go 6 hours without eating, that's not the point. AA DL UA wants to be treated like premium airlines yet the domestic flights are like ULCCs. F9 and NK you know what you are paying for. It's suppose to be cheap. AA DL UA is suppose to be the U.S. premium airlines and they charge like it. I expect more out of that service.

AA, DL & UA have learned they need to compete with the LCCs and ULCCs; their fares are not much different these days, and the US3s offer more to frequent flyers through their respective alliances.

Does mediocre food served on-board makes for a better experience? No.

WayexTDI

Tue May 17, 2022 3:17 pm

BuildingMyBento wrote:
I've taken a number of domestic flights in the U.S., Russia, and China. Prices are high for invariably bad food -- whether it's for taking on the plane, or sitting down at a restaurant -- at all airports, and airline food is shite.

What I typically do is visit a supermarket before the flight and get one savory and one sweet snack, and perhaps an apple. This covers me for the flight, and many potential delays.

From what I've seen, most restaurants in US airport are part of a chain (Ruby Tuesdays, TGIF, etc) and serve the same food (at a higher cost due to airport concession fees - this is being reviewed by some airports as customers have reported almost $30 beers!!!); it's not the most gourmet food, but not bad either.
Airline food, on the other hand,...

GlobalAirways

Tue May 17, 2022 4:01 pm

WayexTDI wrote:

Have you seen some of us Americans? We like food lol :rotfl: Also, just to add I think it's good to offer something. Let's say you have an early morning flight, you're late, rushing, no time and you get on board and you're starving on a 5 hour flight from the east coast to the west coast of North America. I'd like to have the option to eat something.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed May 18, 2022 12:26 am

I plan my flights and my days to allow for meal options. I’ll book late morning flight and have breakfast on the way in, good enough to the destination even transcon. A monthly trip to visit my mother in FL, book the DL flight with long connection in ATL—lunch and a glass on wine during the wait, landed in early evening. Easy, peasy

When I traveled international, evening departures, I’d always have dinner in BOS or JFK, limo down 45 minutes early.

davescj

Thu May 19, 2022 11:38 pm

I remember CO being the last hold out for a sandwich in Y. I do long for the days of decent Y food. (rant start) What now passes for F meals used to be Y on short flights. I question the inability to serve decent food. Seriously, how much more per ticket could it cost? I would like to know (rant over).

I know in DL on longer routes (such as ATL-MEX) Y+ gets a better snack box than Y. DL has brought free alcohol to Y +. That said...anything in the USA that I fly? (under 2 hrs usually), I don't pay for F or use miles to upgrade. I'm simply not given enough.

laca773

Fri May 20, 2022 4:56 am

Hopefully DL will bring back their complimentary meals in Y on their transcon flights. I believe they do offer complimentary meals in their longer ATL-HNL flights. It would be nice if they could offer a premium meal to buy online if sitting in the main cabin as BOB options run out quickly on these longer flights.

flyingclrs727

Fri May 20, 2022 5:14 am

I remember when I was a kid that we once had breakfast on a one hour flight to Dallas, then got breakfast again on the connecting flight, both on Braniff. As I still live in the middle of the county, it's been years since free food was offered in economy to either the Atlantic of Pacific coasts. I just plan on either eating before flying or bringing my own food onboard. On the other hand, I wouldn't be happy flying on a transoceanic flight if there were no complimentary food.