Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ps762
Topic Author

Most Memorable Approaches as a Passenger?

Thu May 19, 2022 12:20 am

Hi and firstly many thanks for reading and apologies if this has been asked many times before.

But anyway my poll question I guess is regarding approaches that might stand out in peoples' memories when passengers I guess on commercial flights but could be any flights or as a pilot/co-pilot etc. too I guess.

For me I'll try and keep it short but 3 as a passenger on commercial flights:

1. Flying into Sydney during a sunny afternoon back in 1996 and seeing the city skyline for the first time out of the left side window.

2. In 1990 flying into San Diego at night and maybe in rain too. Again looking out of the left window and being quite young it seemed like we were flying between building lights during final approach which was exciting if a little creepy although it was probably more me and my thinking!

3. And finally in 2009 on a Crj flying from Detroit into Chicago OHare at night I remember seeing a pretty lit up city as we came in over the lake I think again out of the left side. Quite memorable even if I was maybe more seasoned by then I think.

But I know the World is a big place and I have by no means seen all of it so any memories or suggestions would be great. But from my list I think for me the first Sydney was really something. It lived up to expectations, I have never been back so it was a one time thing and I was a long way from my home (and in a good way hopefully!).

Anyway with many thanks again and hope this turned out ok,

Ps762

Kent350787

Re: Most Memorable Approaches as a Passenger?

Thu May 19, 2022 1:00 am

Sydney is meh on a sunny day on a 16R approach with the green suburbs interpsersed by the sparkling blue water and the city skyline over to the east :P

But less so on a stormy evening with considerable turbulence approaching 25 in a J31. Very memorable, but mostly for the looks on my fellow passengers' faces.

davidjohnson6

Thu May 19, 2022 1:40 am

London Heathrow on a sunny day, with wind coming from the west and a seat on the right hand side of the aircraft. Aircraft will fly right across London, just to the south of the city centre.. so you get a low altitude fly past of the city centre while flying alongside the river.

Austin787

Thu May 19, 2022 2:35 am

1) DCA: flying past the monuments, National Mall and US Capital
2) MIA: flying over Miami beach, downtown Miami, and the coast line
3) AUS: flying past the UT-Austin tower, Texas Capital, and downtown
4) ZQN: flying through the mountains
5) SYD: views of the Harbour Bridge and Opera House during sunrise

RyanairGuru

Thu May 19, 2022 4:19 am

Sydney (16s), Heathrow (27s) and EWR (22s) all provide great city views, depending which side of the aircraft you are sitting on.

The most underwhelming approach for me was LCY. I’ve only flown into LCY once, but was expecting a notably steep descent with great views over London. We landed and I thought “was that it?”

PatrickZ80

Thu May 19, 2022 6:12 am

Barcelona, approaching from the northeast and looking out of the window on the right hand side of the aircraft. You're flying over the water just offshore with a stunning view over the city.

Max Q

Thu May 19, 2022 6:45 am

Checkerboard approach to Kai Tak’s runway 13, sitting on the right side of the aircraft

Not as good as being in the left front seat but nothing compares

LBA1432

Thu May 19, 2022 9:27 am

3 that stick out to me all seem to be at sunset too...
JSI - flew in with LS, really impressive sunset approach coming down over Skopelos, doing a 180 then flying past Skiathos Town and slamming down on the runway with some harsh braking. A heavy, but memorable for many reasons landing.
SAN - first time I flew in it was sunset with BA on the 777. Great city views on approach, I couldn't believe how close the skyscrapers and downtown were, they were all starting to light up too which was beautiful.
IST - flew in on the 35 approach at sunset last autumn with TK and was great to see the urban sprawl, Ataturk and the infamous traffic!

mjdemain

Thu May 19, 2022 11:40 am

LAX Runway 7R approach on a UA A320. Great view of the harbor, Queen Mary, and Palos Verdes.

BUR Runway 8 on a UA 762 (also on a 752).

And (no surprise) my 1st checkerboard IGS 13 approach to Kai Tak in a CX L10. I shot an entire roll of film on the approach and landing. I recall seeing the partially submerged China Airlines 744 in the water at the approach end of 31 as we exited the runway.

bfitzflyer

Thu May 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Kai tak for sure. SFO if you approach from the north, the views of the city and GG bridge are spectacular, Flying into NRT and seeing Mt Fuji in the distance. Some of the approaches into JFK have great views of the Manhattan skyline.

maps4ltd

Thu May 19, 2022 1:41 pm

GPS (Baltra, Galapagos). I remember flying in there on a LATAM A319 from Guayaquil. Still one of my all time favorite approaches.

phugoid1982

Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 pm

This is a very interesting thread. So for me, it's usually the river visual approach into DCA which consists of fairly sharp right turn just before final although it's obviously no Kai Tak. But, THE most memorable approach for me that sticks out was a night flight 20 years ago from San Juan Puerto Rico to Mayaguez on the east cost on an American Eagle ATR-72. It was a flight I took very frequently in those days. Normally you fly west and on the downwind you go past the coast for a couple of miles and make a left base turn for final. However, this time we initiated the base turn to RWY 09 barely half mile from the runway threshold barely past the powerlines off highway 2 for those who know the area. It was incredible because we literally levelled off over the runway threshold before touchdown. It also holds the record for being the fastest I ever did SJU-MAZ or the reciprocal. 17 minutes to cover 68 nmi. Fun times. Miss those ATRs.

bval

Thu May 19, 2022 3:34 pm

Feb 15 of 2020 BA 174 JFK-LHR in the middle of Storm Dennis. My original flight on BA cancelled, but they found me a seat on BA174 whose captain was willing to try. We made the most insane crosswind landing, crabbed about as hard as the 777 could muster, and he put it down on the first attempt to deserved applause. Passengers clapping normally annoys me but I was cheering right along with everybody else.

I love the River Visual Approach to Runway 13 at LGA.

I have recently been enjoying landing JFK on the 22s in a 9K 402C from my home airport of SLK. As a bonus on a recent windy JFK departure on 9K we were instructed Idlewild Climb and I can now say I've flown that in a piston twin!

mchei

Thu May 19, 2022 3:38 pm

Rio, Santos Dumont, in the good old Electra days coming in over Ipanema, Leblon, Copacabana beaches with the Sugar Loaf in sight plus the Rio - Niteroi bridge. That I will never forget.

I also love Geneva.

stlgph

Thu May 19, 2022 4:10 pm

night approach into LGA coming up from New Jersey finding just that right path over Manhattan with the stellar view of everything out the right side while heading up to turn back around and land on 22.

will admit, coming into Sydney having the night turn into day and seeing the bridge and opera house on the left while coming in -- that's pretty neat the first time you do it and see it in person

coming into DLH - pretty much flew right up I-35 then bolted east south of Superior out to the Amnicon Falls area and then turned back left and north for the approach seeing the harbor and the lake - perfect timing with the clouds, time of day, sun, you name it.

davidjohnson6

Thu May 19, 2022 4:24 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
The most underwhelming approach for me was LCY. I’ve only flown into LCY once, but was expecting a notably steep descent with great views over London. We landed and I thought “was that it?”

Wind coming from the west gives mediocre views. Wind coming from the east will give great views on approach, particularly of Canary Wharf

tmu101

Thu May 19, 2022 6:36 pm

stlgph wrote:
night approach into LGA coming up from New Jersey finding just that right path over Manhattan with the stellar view of everything out the right side while heading up to turn back around and land on 22.

This is definitely one of my all time favorites as well; only time I've done it (only flown into LGA once - too inconvenient for me from North Jersey so usually EWR is my airport of choice). Was a crystal clear day and with the Twin Towers below you could almost reach out and touch them - was surreal.

A clear night time approach to Runway 22L at EWR with NYC skyline in background (if you're sitting on the left hand side of aircraft) - just gorgeous IMHO. :cloudnine:

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm

Probably one not mentioned often, but it is quite a spectacular approach: Bakersfield, CA (BFL), if you are coming in from the southeast (from PHX or DFW, and usually DEN), you overfly the high desert, including flying over The Great Mojave Boneyard, and then across the Sierra Nevadas / Tehachapi Mountains / Coast Ranges, threading between 7,577 foot Mount Breckenridge and 6,916 foot Bear Mountain (NOT the ski resort), before lining up with runway 32R. It's a lot closer than one might think!

If landings are on the 8's at Honolulu (HNL) and you are approaching from the east, you will be treated to a spectacular tour of the island of O'ahu (if you are seated on the left side of the plane!) as you circle around counterclockwise for landing. Same with a take-off as well - left side only, though!

Arriving into Hilo (ITO) is also impressive, but this time sit on the right side. The ever-increasing size of Mauna Kea becomes apparent as the plane descends to line up with runway 8, and the entire right side of the plane is a mass of green from the lush vegetation visible.

I concur that an approach to DCA can be spectacular; however, my approaches and departures have all been the "non-scenic" route. Mehh, I've been to all the sites, which are fabulous, but it is funny to me that I haven't ever been able to approach (or depart) the more interesting way.

However, the most spectacular flight of all - from start to finish - was from Vancouver harbor to Victoria harbor on a seaplane belonging to Harbor Air. The low altitude of the flight, coupled with the incredible island scenery (including a spectacularly low fly-over of YVR airport itself!) was absolutely unforgettable.

IFlyVeryLittle

Thu May 19, 2022 9:01 pm

Not an approach, but a departure from LGA in an Eastern L-1011 on a clear day at sunset from runway 4. On the left side of the plane, heading north over the East River toward Westchester, then a big wide turn to the west, then south just on the jersey side of the Hudson River, the city center never really left my window. What a view and what a ride.

hoons90

Thu May 19, 2022 9:19 pm

Kahului Airport, approaching from the South of Maui and landing from the East. Dramatic landscapes unlike anything I've seen!

davescj

Thu May 19, 2022 11:21 pm

1. Any new airport
2. DCA and the monuments (as many have said)
3. FCO - the ancient monuments/ruins/sheep you see flying in
4. JFK - Lady Liberty
5. MKE - the house that says "Welcome to CLE"
6. SFO- the golden gate
7 PIT - three rivers

And of course - your home airport

Ps762
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2022 12:41 am

Hi (again thanks!),

As the thread starter I guess I just wanted to try and quickly say thanks for all the replies so far and stuff. Although I have to admit I've had to look up some airport and airline codes there are lots of great stuff and many that I didn't know about or didn't know looked good from onboard too I guess.

But many thanks again. Now if only I was flying into Heathrow on 27 which I do know tomorrow or into Funchal (Madeira) and seeing the mountainous green below the clouds and thinking wow like those days(!)

Anyway with many thanks again and greets,

Ps762

gunsontheroof

Fri May 20, 2022 1:33 am

The two that stick out for me are passing over Manhattan on approach to JFK as a kid and seeing a lot of the things I associated with New York City through the window of a DL 757 at once. The other would be approaching IST (Ataturk) from the northwest over the Golden Horn and taking in Istanbul from a TK 738.

Seeing Mt. Rainier on approach to SEA is always great, but that’s home!

TWA772LR

Fri May 20, 2022 5:13 am

The most memorable are all "first timers" for me.

1. First time in SYD. We did a corkscrew approach over Botany Bay and multiple 360 degree views of Sydney at sunrise was amazing, plus it was my first time on a 747.

2. HKG. I flew on UAs late night departure from SFO and got in to HKG about 0430 local. It was amazing seeing all the lights of the Pearl River Delta region coming in. Knowing it was early morning it was cool knowing I was starting that adventure at sunrise while already getting a small taste of what night looks like.

3. LCY. Couldn't see much because it was raining in London, but definitely my most "dynamic" arrival with the steep approach. The RJ85 was a bonus as that has been my only ride on that flight.

Honorable mention to CNS. So beautiful seeing the forest on oneside juxtaposed with the Great Barrier Reef and continental shelf not far off. And once in town it was cool to see the JQ 787 just above the buildings on approach when arriving from the south

ICN was a fun one too with all the lights (sprawling as far as the eye can see, not like HKG that had a lot more coastal contour) and knowledge of being relatively close to the DMZ, and even seeing all the ships at night in the Sea of Japan (UA 738 from NRT).

davescj wrote:

And of course - your home airport

Always the best. I already feel at home when I spot my house on the 27 approach to IAH.

SRQKEF

Fri May 20, 2022 11:43 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
London Heathrow on a sunny day, with wind coming from the west and a seat on the right hand side of the aircraft. Aircraft will fly right across London, just to the south of the city centre.. so you get a low altitude fly past of the city centre while flying alongside the river.

Indeed! The favorite photo I've taken was on exactly that approach:

Anyway, here are some of my favorite approaches through the years in no particular order:

Cuzco (CUZ)
Such a beautiful descent over the Andes before diving into the valley with a full 180° turn at low altitude. Truly fantastic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wgdJOisuIo&t=253s

Ísafjörður (IFJ)
Whether it was on the F50 or now Q200, this approach is always fantastic. Hugging the mountains through the fjord which leads you to a 270° turn into runway 8.

Washington (DCA) - River visual
Self explanatory.

New York (JFK) - Canarsie Approach
See above.

New York (LGA) - Runway 31
The turn at low altitude over Flushing and Queens is always interesting.

Florence (FLR)
Gonna need those brakes at full tilt! The view outside isn't half bad either.

Vestmannaeyjar (VEY)
No matter which runway is in use, the approach at VEY is always breath taking both in terms of difficulty and scenery.

Those are all due to the interesting approach patterns and not necessarily scenery from the window, as the list of airports with nice city or landscape views is a bit long to fit in here. Some highlights there that come to mind, along with LHR 27L, are the approach into the 28s at O'Hare sitting on the left side of the aircraft with the Chicago skyline visible, the usual approach from the East into LAX with the desert and mountains giving way for the sprawling urban scene of LA, approach into the 25s at FRA sitting on the right side with a view of the city, approach over the harbor at BOS with the skyline visible right next to you, approach into CPT looking over the city and Table Top Mountain, the awesome view of Manhattan while approaching Newark from certain directions, runway 19 at Reykjavik's domestic airport in the city center with short final right over downtown etc. etc. etc.

87GROUNDED

Fri May 20, 2022 3:55 pm

Two come to mind:

SXM. Every time it is awesome.
SFO. Landing on 19R due to winds.

classicjets

Sat May 21, 2022 12:04 pm

I can think of:
LIH Lihue, Kauai - when landing to the North and sitting on the left

GIB Gibraltar - when landing to the west and sitting on the left (or doing the opposite as in this photo)

LGA flying alongside Manhattan

ORD can also have a good city view when coming in over Lake Michigan

And I concur about San Diego!

And as a GA pilot:
MYH Marble Canyon, Arizona below the rim of the Grand Canyon and requiring some circling on descent and climb out so as to stay within 3nm of the airport to avoid busting the Grand Canyon special flight rules airspace.

SDX Sedona, Arizona is also a scenic and somewhat challenging approach

flyingclrs727

Sat May 21, 2022 3:54 pm

Flying into HNL on a Braniff 747-123, I was amazed at how green Oahu was. I have never seen anyplace as green as the Hawaiian islands.

csturdiv

Sun May 22, 2022 7:16 am

My favourite is Queenstown, New Zealand. That approach through the mountains and that turn to the airport was amazing. Good thing I had a window seat. https://mywanderlustphotos.com/2020/08/ ... he-window/

bluecrew

Sun May 22, 2022 9:03 am

Odd one, but I used to fly into DMK (only as a pax) relatively often. When DMK lands south it's basically farmland until it's whoa city and then you land, but when they land north, you usually get a pretty view of Bangkok out the left side, and then land essentially "downtown"-ish (compared to Suvarnabhumi). Relatively rare configuration from what I remember, and I only remember one or two times doing it, but it was pretty awesome; one was in the afternoon and it was breathtaking to see the whole city sprawl in late day and with an ominous line of weather as the backdrop.
Beautiful place, highly recommend.

SkyVoice

Mon May 23, 2022 5:59 am

Several places, but my favorite is the approach into Blue Grass Airport in Lexington, Kentucky (LEX). The layout of the thoroughbred horse farms and the nearby, sharp-looking Keeneland Race Course amid the rolling hills covered with Kentucky bluegrass is truly breathtaking! Even the late, great Paul Harvey (good day!) described the approach to LEX as one of his favorites.

studentlife

Mon May 23, 2022 7:05 am

1. Arriving in ORD for the first time on an AA 788, seeing the city skyline was spectacular, with the skyscrapers sticking out above the rest.
2. EWR Runway 22 arrivals on the left side of the plane, seeing the NYC skyline is always a beautiful sight (although I may be biased as a NY local)
3. FLL arrivals when you fly over the beach and ports are always breathtaking, especially when the sun first starts to set and you see the ocean reflect the sunlight.
4. CPH arriving on RWY30 during sunrise, on my first post-pandemic, with the reflection in the water and the bridge in the distance was magical to me, a truly stunning sight.

ehbowen

Mon May 23, 2022 11:17 am

Kent350787 wrote:
Sydney is meh on a sunny day on a 16R approach with the green suburbs interpsersed by the sparkling blue water and the city skyline over to the east :P

But less so on a stormy evening with considerable turbulence approaching 25 in a J31. Very memorable, but mostly for the looks on my fellow passengers' faces.

Off topic here, I guess, but my first sight of Sydney was by sea, manning the rail on the deck of the battleship USS Missouri entering Sydney Harbour in September 1986 for the fleet review honoring the 75th anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy. Unforgettable.

Chemist

Mon May 23, 2022 6:35 pm

Virgin Atlantic 747-400, LHR - as a passenger, got to ride the approach in the cockpit jumpseat, circa ~1999. That was possible back then, but no more

Kent350787

Mon May 23, 2022 11:58 pm

ehbowen wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

Off topic here, I guess, but my first sight of Sydney was by sea, manning the rail on the deck of the battleship USS Missouri entering Sydney Harbour in September 1986 for the fleet review honoring the 75th anniversary of the Royal Australian Navy. Unforgettable.

I think everyone in NSW, whether direct or on TV, remembers Might Mo entering the harbour in 1986!

As for my description as meh, I was being totally sarcastic. There are pleasant approaches to some other major cities, but a sunny 16R approach looking east is the perfect intro to Sydney.

blandy62

Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 am

a few come to mind:

KTM passing in between the mountains
HND turning in the Tokyo bay when landing 16R or 16L
TOD like landing in the jungle

BuildingMyBento

Tue May 24, 2022 6:03 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
blandy62 wrote:
a few come to mind:

KTM passing in between the mountains
HND turning in the Tokyo bay when landing 16R or 16L
TOD like landing in the jungle

i was going to say KTM for the mountains, and for the Turkish Airlines jet that fled the runway (that they painted over due to being embarrassed). That was in 2015.

Other memorable take-offs/landings have included CTA for an erupting Mt. Etna, SDU, CPT, and even HKG, for making me glad I'm not another brick in the wall (i.e. another resident in those endless apartment buildings).

Ps762
Topic Author

Wed May 25, 2022 12:26 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
ehbowen wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:

I think everyone in NSW, whether direct or on TV, remembers Might Mo entering the harbour in 1986!

As for my description as meh, I was being totally sarcastic. There are pleasant approaches to some other major cities, but a sunny 16R approach looking east is the perfect intro to Sydney.

Hi (again thanks!),

Ha so just to say that yes from here I did take that view with a slight pinch of salt(!) But still the comment also made me look up the J31 too I think which was hopefully good too(!)

And as for the off-topic comment thanks it was hopefully not too bad and was appreciated here too. For me also thinking about it yes Sydney Harbour from a boat in my case (The Manly Ferry) during the same trip was something else as well. Morning ferry with sun, people yachting, the Opera House and bridge and some pretty swish houses by the shore on the way in. Although not from the air with that too to be honest never seen much like that too(!)

Anyway with many thanks again to all for all the inputs and lots more hopefully for me to investigate hopefully,

Ps762

Boeing757100

Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:28 am

I love SXM!!

DH106

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:43 pm

A very low banked left turn onto short finals R01 at Mahon, Menorca, Spain in a Dan Air Comet 4c - summer of '77.
To a 12 year old kid looking out along the wing - it sure as hell seemed like that wing was gona scrape the ground - which was wizzing past at great speed !

Flanker7

Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:55 pm

DPS long approach over water that makes you wonder if there's a runway.

PITingres

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:46 pm

Most memorable for me:

LJU-FRA on Adria in 1999, departure was delayed due to fog in FRA; we took off about an hour late. On approach, after the gear was lowered I kept waiting for something to be visible out the window. The fog finally cleared and we were maybe 50 feet up, wheels down just a couple seconds later. I've never been in fog that far down since then.

LHR-PIT on BA in March 2020. Flew into a snow squall on short final at dusk and we took a lightning hit on the wing, right where I was looking. The sound was strangely quiet. Cabin lights went out for a few minutes. We went around and the captain's announcement was "Well, that was interesting."

77E into BOS (I forget where we originated, LHR maybe.) High gusty crosswinds and we went around a couple times. The motions in the back of the plane were kind of unusual, especially for a big 777. When the pilots finally managed to get it on the ground, even the flight attendants applauded.

DLHAM

Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:11 am

Theres a few. First of all landing at my Home Airport HAM on runway 33 (over the City) or runway 05 sitting on the right, amazing View!

Landing at the old Istanbul Airport runway 23 was an amazing experience, planes overflew the whole City.

Landing at LHR runway 27s is a great experience too, same as Istanbul runway 23.

Landing at La Guardia of course is a joy.

In 2016 we have been to the Amalfi Coast, the Approach at Naples Airport was very interesting too, very shaky and with a view over the Airport and at Mt Vesuvius.

And of course landing at ATL is always amazing, not that there is much to see on Approach but the high number of airplanes around and up to two more planes landing parallel is really a sight.

Flanker7

Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:46 am

The ones where I was able to sit in the cockpit during the approach and landing.