Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pezzy669
Topic Author

After 10 years in and out - finally found a huge flaw with ATL.

Thu May 19, 2022 9:15 pm

So 10 years later and hundreds of flights in and out of ATL as an O&D passenger I finally found a huge flaw that is hugely inconvenient. I have always had a pleasant experience with the very efficient ATL operation and know it like the back of my hand at this point but my upcoming trip has revealed a huge hiccup that applies to any pre-clearance international itinerary.

So tomorrow flying ATL-NAS (Nassau, BH) then returning Monday for a long weekend beach vacation. I found an excellent park and ride that is maybe 2 minutes from the international terminal (but they do not service domestic side) so booked that for this trip thinking would be normal international itinerary. Low and behold Bahamas has pre-clearance back to United States so no international arrival..........FML. Message Delta to ask if I can check in at domestic terminal for an international departure and that is a no (but agent didn't seem too confident in that) so now have to park at park and ride over by domestic and take the long shuttle ride back around to international and this pretty much nixes airport garage parking on either side. Yes they have a shuttle to go from domestic<->international but that would require parking, walking a long distance then catching another shuttle to the other terminal.

This itinerary has proven to be a total PITA because of the split terminal operation at ATL. For anyone unfamiliar the international terminal is complete opposite end of the bank of terminals from the domestic side (Domestic headhouse->T->A->B->C->D->E->F->International headhouse) so the shuttle has to go around the entire airport/runway complex to get to the other side. To add insult to injury my flight is currently scheduled to leave out of the A gates so I get to circle the airport around to F then ride the plane train almost all the way back to domestic.

Sorry for ranting but only place I knew people would understand. :lol:

phatfarmlines

Re: After 10 years in and out - finally found a huge flaw with ATL.

Thu May 19, 2022 10:28 pm

pezzy669 wrote:
Message Delta to ask if I can check in at domestic terminal for an international departure and that is a no (but agent didn't seem too confident in that)

That agent is wrong; were you speaking with an overseas agent?

You can check in for DL metal international flights at the domestic terminal. You can't, however, check in for AF/AM/KL/VS metal flights, even if DL codeshares on them - those flights must be checked in at the international terminal.

When you return from NAS, you will be directed to the baggage claim outside of the customs and immigration greeting hall at the international terminal. This sole baggage claim is used for the pre-cleared flight. Your bags will not go to the domestic terminal.

pezzy669
Topic Author

Re: After 10 years in and out - finally found a huge flaw with ATL.

Fri May 20, 2022 1:35 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
pezzy669 wrote:
Message Delta to ask if I can check in at domestic terminal for an international departure and that is a no (but agent didn't seem too confident in that)

That agent is wrong; were you speaking with an overseas agent?

You can check in for DL metal international flights at the domestic terminal. You can't, however, check in for AF/AM/KL/VS metal flights, even if DL codeshares on them - those flights must be checked in at the international terminal.

When you return from NAS, you will be directed to the baggage claim outside of the customs and immigration greeting hall at the international terminal. This sole baggage claim is used for the pre-cleared flight. Your bags will not go to the domestic terminal.

You are absolutely amazing and a life saver!! Must have been an overseas agent because everything they told me was polar opposite of what you indicated - not shocking because the Delta chat support has been pretty horrific as of late and have been of ZERO help at all the last 3 times I contacted them through chat for things like IROPS rescheduling, refund support and now airport questions. Sad their agents don't even know about their own megahub.

Thank you thank you again! So glad I posted here.