Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

From Miles to Time: A Thought

Sat May 21, 2022 9:00 pm

I get that miles on FF programs are very lucrative for airlines as it helps them keep their most loyal fliers. But how about a swap from miles flown to time flown? Yes, miles are fixed and will always be a constant value, but time flown is *almost* as fixed as miles (for the most part). This would incentivize the airline to have a better run operation to minimize time given to passengers (assuming this is run on actual block time instead of scheduled block time), and passengers would still be more happy if a hub has a bad weather day (more time flown in holding patterns, etc...).

Just a random thought that occured to me.

UALFAson

Re: From Miles to Time: A Thought

Sat May 21, 2022 9:22 pm

It's an interesting idea for sure, but it wouldn't reward spend, which is the focus of almost all frequent customer programs, including the airlines' newly revamped "frequent flyer" accounts.

Under your model, on an ORD-BNA flight, the person paying $79 would earn the same credit as someone paying $399, and the person flying ORD-LAX for $99 would earn 4 times as many credits as each of the BNA flyers. None of that makes sense. If anything, it's a lot like how the programs were initially run based on miles flown, but the airlines moved away from that system because it didn't reward spend, which is what airlines really care about.

I appreciate the concept of incentivizing airlines to try to improve operations, but I'm not sure this is the way to do it. Like I said, an interesting, out-of-the-box thought for sure, though.

PatrickZ80

Re: From Miles to Time: A Thought

Sat May 21, 2022 9:37 pm

Out of the box thinking is a good thing, but it should make sense. I'm afraid this one doesn't make any sense.

Of course frequent flying programs are a way to make customers pick your airline, if they fly more often. However for the people who fly less often they don't do much, those people would never benefit from any frequent flyer benefits.

That's why some airlines have decided to do away with frequent flying programs altogether. I believe Ryanair was the first to do that, they don't have a frequent flyer program. It allows them to charge a lower ticket price, which is the main reason people fly Ryanair. Ryanair doesn't accept miles for payment, only cash. No matter how often you fly them, you never gain any status. Instead you get a lower ticket price over and over again.

And it works! People complain a lot about Ryanair, but in the end once people are used to the way Ryanair works they keep returning. They keep falling for those low ticket prices. So Ryanair has frequent flyers without running a frequent flyer program, how's that?