Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N14AZ
Topic Author

No direct flights between AMS and CGK?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:52 am

It seems that I will have to travel to Indonesia more often. So far I always took TK via IST. AMS would be way more comfortable for me. But it seems as if there are no direct flights between AMS and CGK. How comes? Is it due to the pandemic, Garuda‘s financial problems or maybe due to the codeshare flights they have with EK?

Any information would be highly appreciated.
Best regards
N14AZ

blandy62

Re: No direct flights between AMS and CGK?

Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:29 am

i guess you answered your own question

davidjohnson6

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:11 am

Do you mean *direct* flight or *non-stop* flight ?
AFAIK, KLM have direct flights to Jakarta... albeit with a 1h15 stop in Singapore
Additionally, Garuda have nonstop flights to AMS, but just not every day of the week

Fuling

Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:05 pm

Are the GA flights departing CGK still diverting along the way to Europe due to the runway weight restrictions?

PatrickZ80

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:51 am

Fuling wrote:
Are the GA flights departing CGK still diverting along the way to Europe due to the runway weight restrictions?

Yes, I believe they're stopping in Singapore. Not entirely sure about that.

Anyway, both KLM and Garuda have direct flights between Amsterdam and Jakarta but they're not daily. You might have looked at the wrong day. And they make a stopover somewhere, most likely Singapore.

N14AZ
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:55 am

blandy62 wrote:

Well, if I did then I apologize. That’s not the purpose of a DISCUSSION forum.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
AFAIK, KLM have direct flights to Jakarta... albeit with a 1h15 stop in Singapore
Additionally, Garuda have nonstop flights to AMS, but just not every day of the week

Yes, sorry, I meant non-stop flights. Hmmm, flying via Singapore doesn’t sound very attractive..

I really know how to use the internet but I can’t find information on the exact days Garuda flies from/to AMS. Does anybody know?

Fuling wrote:

Interesting… I think I will have to use Turkish… ooops Turk Hava Yollari for the foreseeable future..

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:07 pm

I doubt Garuda Indonesia made a profit on CGK-AMS. They cut the route more than once over the years (back in 2004), and have seemed to end it again. Can't find any schedule for it. With the airline suffering loses from the pandemic and reducing its fleet, the 777 is likely to go away.

The AMS-Indonesia market is low yielding. Thats why even KLM doesn't fly nonstop to either CGK or DPS. An ULR route with low yields isn't going to turn a profit. Best to fly CGK and DPS with a stopover when you can combine it with another market (what they do with AMS-KUL-CGK and AMS-SIN-DPS).

If AMS-CGK and AMS-DPS were viable nonstop, you would have seen it on KLM already. Cleary KLM is never going to launch those routes ever at this point.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:34 pm

As others have pointed out, this is not a high-yield route, and in addition to TK, there are a plethora of one-stop routes via the gulf as well as Southeast Asia.

Distance + multiple carriers + price-sensitive flyers = cessation of non-stops.

eta unknown

Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:36 am

N14AZ wrote:
blandy62 wrote:

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Yes, sorry, I meant non-stop flights. Hmmm, flying via Singapore doesn’t sound very attractive..

I really know how to use the internet but I can’t find information on the exact days Garuda flies from/to AMS. Does anybody know?

Fuling wrote:

Interesting… I think I will have to use Turkish… ooops Turk Hava Yollari for the foreseeable future..

So flying TK is attractive, but a SIN transit is not?!?

N14AZ
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:01 am

eta unknown wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
blandy62 wrote:

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Fuling wrote:

Where did I say that flying from northern Germany to CGK with TK via IST is attractive? Please read my first post: I actually started this thread to find a better connection than TK via Istanbul. The problem with TK is that the aircraft takes off from IST at 2am. This is about 8am at your destination. So to overcome the jetlag it’s very stupid to stay up all night long to travel to IST, to wait for your connection to CGK and to sleep in the aircraft whereas it’s morning time at your destination.

I love flights to Asia such as TG, VN, CA that leave Frankfurt at about noon time and arrive in Asia in the early morning local time. This always helps me to overcome the jetlag, because I sleep in the aircraft until the FA wakes me up for landing.

So, no. TK is not that attractive. But I also hate these transits in SIN. But I will consider it for my next trip. If the flight times are better as regards jetlag it would be definitely an improvement.

n757kw

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:54 am

It would help to know where you are originating from. For me, I prefer to arrive in Jakarta at night because usually I can fall asleep. I have done a few morning arrivals, and it was very hard to stay awake all day. However, I work nights at home, so I do not have to deal with the jet lag due to the 12 hour difference between home and Jakarta.

N757KW

N14AZ
Topic Author

Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:57 am

n757kw wrote:
It would help to know where you are originating from.

N757KW

I live close to HAJ, Hanover.

n757kw wrote:
For me, I prefer to arrive in Jakarta at night because usually I can fall asleep. I have done a few morning arrivals, and it was very hard to stay awake all day. However, I work nights at home, so I do not have to deal with the jet lag due to the 12 hour difference between home and Jakarta.

N757KW

Well, we are all different. As I described above. I like arriving in Asia early in the morning PROVIDED that I can sleep in the aircraft. I have my procedures and it usually works. I force myself to stay awake the first day in Asia and go sleeping on the first day at a „normal“ local time.

Fuling

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:54 am

TK will be your only one-stop option from HAJ. Could try EK from HAM, but you won't arrive in the morning, and if you don't think SIN is a good option, then you'll hate DXB

Why doesn't SIN sound like a good option? SIN always wins awards for best airport and has super smooth connections. I would personally do HAJ-MUC(LH)-SIN-CGK(SQ) as that would get me to CGK around 10am.

N14AZ wrote:
n757kw wrote:

N757KW

n757kw wrote:
For me, I prefer to arrive in Jakarta at night because usually I can fall asleep. I have done a few morning arrivals, and it was very hard to stay awake all day. However, I work nights at home, so I do not have to deal with the jet lag due to the 12 hour difference between home and Jakarta.

N757KW

Well, we are all different. As I described above. I like arriving in Asia early in the morning PROVIDED that I can sleep in the aircraft. I have my procedures and it usually works. I force myself to stay awake the first day in Asia and go sleeping on the first day at a „normal“ local time.

N14AZ
Topic Author

Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:43 am

Fuling wrote:
TK will be your only one-stop option from HAJ. Could try EK from HAM, but you won't arrive in the morning, and if you don't think SIN is a good option, then you'll hate DXB

Why doesn't SIN sound like a good option? SIN always wins awards for best airport and has super smooth connections. I would personally do HAJ-MUC(LH)-SIN-CGK(SQ) as that would get me to CGK around 10am.

N14AZ wrote:
n757kw wrote:

N757KW

n757kw wrote:

N757KW

Thanks very much for your reply. I will check this option when planning my next trip to Indonesia.

eta unknown

Sat Jun 18, 2022 12:12 pm

N14AZ wrote:
eta unknown wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Where did I say that flying from northern Germany to CGK with TK via IST is attractive? Please read my first post: I actually started this thread to find a better connection than TK via Istanbul. The problem with TK is that the aircraft takes off from IST at 2am. This is about 8am at your destination. So to overcome the jetlag it’s very stupid to stay up all night long to travel to IST, to wait for your connection to CGK and to sleep in the aircraft whereas it’s morning time at your destination.

I love flights to Asia such as TG, VN, CA that leave Frankfurt at about noon time and arrive in Asia in the early morning local time. This always helps me to overcome the jetlag, because I sleep in the aircraft until the FA wakes me up for landing.

So, no. TK is not that attractive. But I also hate these transits in SIN. But I will consider it for my next trip. If the flight times are better as regards jetlag it would be definitely an improvement.

Well if you read your first post you wrote you always use TK- so there's your answer.
You also never indicated why SIN transits are so terrible for you- did something bad happen to you there?!?

N14AZ
Topic Author

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:12 am

eta unknown wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
eta unknown wrote:

You also never indicated why SIN transits are so terrible for you- did something bad happen to you there?!?

No, nothing terrible happened (except that the lounge was packed, food was horrible and the lounge was so full that the atmosphere was rather like on a crowded train station..).

So no. It’s just my personal „taste“, so to speak. I think I am just spoiled by the fact that I often flew nonstop to my project locations. Example: landed in Wuhan (..yes, this Wuhan, but don’t worry, was in 2017…) at 7am coming from CDG with AF and had my first meeting at 10am. The same in Vietnam. That’s why I don’t like these transits in Asia. But I learned from this thread these are the two alternatives I have to live with: either transiting in IST at a very inconvenient time or transiting in SIN. As I wrote above, I will consider SQ next time.