Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gdg9
Topic Author

Regional Flight Numbers

Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:08 pm

Hello all, I did a bit of searching but came up empty on this. Trying to find out the range of flight numbers for various regional carriers, particularly at AA. For example, if mainline is AA1-2949 and regionals are AA2950-6099, how is that divided up amongst Envoy, Piedmont, PSA, and then even SkyWest, Mesa, or any other regionals who fly under the Eagle banner?

Of course if anyone else has a breakdown for the other major carriers, I'd love to see that as well. It would be nice to have a handy guide to them all. Thanks in advance.

MLIAA

Re: Regional Flight Numbers

Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:40 pm

AA is 1-2999

OO is 3000-3299, 4915-5014, and 6240-6349

MQ is 3300-4249

YX is 4500-4914

OH is 5015-5679

YV is 5680-5959

PT is 5960-6239

There are other gaps in there that AA is saving on an as-needed basis.

SEU

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:10 pm

What about the rest of the world? Is this another thread that thinks the world evolves around the US?

Fancy knowing about Loganair?

N965UW

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:26 pm

YX seems to use 3xxx for United, 4xxx for American, and 5xxx for Delta. As to how they determined that, I don't have an answer.

b787900

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm

SEU wrote:
What about the rest of the world? Is this another thread that thinks the world evolves around the US?

Was the rhetorical second question really necessary? Please enlighten us all about how exactly does the OP’s request for regional flight numbers is “another thread that thinks the world evolves around the US”? Please tell us exactly how was he supposed to word his request?…

If you have no interest in helping the OP, stay out of the thread and keep your unhelpful comments to yourself. Thanks bud.

SEU

Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:51 pm

b787900 wrote:
SEU wrote:

Was the rhetorical second question really necessary? Please enlighten us all about how exactly does the OP’s request for regional flight numbers is “another thread that thinks the world evolves around the US”? Please tell us exactly how was he supposed to word his request?…

If you have no interest in helping the OP, stay out and keep your unhelpful comments to yourself. Thanks bud.

"Regional flight numbers" doesn't mean "US regional flight numbers" does it......

My point is, the thread was made under the assumption that everyone thinks it is US based. Regional flying is not a US only thing. Regional airlines are everywhere, from the UK, to China, to Australia.

gdg9
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:11 pm

SEU wrote:

Feel free to add any from around the world. I am US based and was mostly curious on US carriers, but certainly welcome any other additions.

gdg9
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:15 pm

MLIAA wrote:
AA is 1-2999

OO is 3000-3299, 4915-5014, and 6240-6349

MQ is 3300-4249

YX is 4500-4914

OH is 5015-5679

YV is 5680-5959

PT is 5960-6239

There are other gaps in there that AA is saving on an as-needed basis.

Many thanks!

b787900

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:33 pm

SEU wrote:
b787900 wrote:
SEU wrote:

If you have no interest in helping the OP, stay out and keep your unhelpful comments to yourself. Thanks bud.

"Regional flight numbers" doesn't mean "US regional flight numbers" does it......

My point is, the thread was made under the assumption that everyone thinks it is US based. Regional flying is not a US only thing. Regional airlines are everywhere, from the UK, to China, to Australia.

It isn’t the first time you critique US based users over trivial or largely irrelevant things. Therefore, my point still stands. If you can’t provide the OP with some useful information, there’s no reason to participate in the thread. It is just that simple.

To the OP:

At Air Canada, the flight numbering sequence goes as follows:
Air Canada (mainline): 1 - 15XX
Air Canada Rouge: 16XX - 19XX
Air Canada Express: 7XXX and 8XXX

I hope this helps. Cheers.

gdg9
Topic Author

Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:44 pm

b787900 wrote:

To the OP:

At Air Canada, the flight numbering sequence goes as follows:
Air Canada (mainline): 1 - 15XX
Air Canada Rouge: 16XX - 19XX
Air Canada Express: 7XXX and 8XXX

I hope this helps. Cheers.

Thanks. I'm going to put whatever ends up on this thread into a sheet I'll keep.

ADM94

Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:22 pm

One thing to keep mind, at least for the major US carriers: flight number ranges aren’t ever set in stone, they are reviewed for each month’s schedule period and it’s not uncommon to see small tweaks in the ranges.

Swiss03

Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:10 pm

It's a bit more difficult to categorize in Europe since regional carriers operated much closer to their parent airlines, or much further away than North American carriers.
As an example:
The relationship between Loganair and BA is just like any other codeshare, so the number is the same as other codeshres and operates as LMxx or LMxxx.

On the other hand, KLM cityhopper or LH cityline are so interlinked with their parent company that flight numbers are shared.

An example of this;KL1293 is the night stop AMS-EDI service which is normally some form of 737,
KL1277 is another AMS-EDI service that can be anything from E175, E190, E295, B737.
most services on KLM and Lufthansa can be swapped to a regional aircraft without much fanfare as such flights can vary day to day between regional and mainline aircraft.

gdg9
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:18 pm

Swiss03 wrote:
It's a bit more difficult to categorize in Europe since regional carriers operated much closer to their parent airlines, or much further away than North American carriers.
As an example:
The relationship between Loganair and BA is just like any other codeshare, so the number is the same as other codeshres and operates as LMxx or LMxxx.

On the other hand, KLM cityhopper or LH cityline are so interlinked with their parent company that flight numbers are shared.

An example of this;KL1293 is the night stop AMS-EDI service which is normally some form of 737,
KL1277 is another AMS-EDI service that can be anything from E175, E190, E295, B737.
most services on KLM and Lufthansa can be swapped to a regional aircraft without much fanfare as such flights can vary day to day between regional and mainline aircraft.

Interesting tidbit, thanks for sharing. I wonder if people who paid for premium seats on LH or KL get upset being stuck on a regional jet, that I am simply presuming doesn't have the same type of seating?

Viajero

Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:51 am

I’m not certain but I believe AeroMexico and AeroMexico Connect also have intertwined flight numbers.

SRQKEF

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:41 pm

gdg9 wrote:
Swiss03 wrote:
As an example:

Interesting tidbit, thanks for sharing. I wonder if people who paid for premium seats on LH or KL get upset being stuck on a regional jet, that I am simply presuming doesn't have the same type of seating?

Both airlines mostly have E-Jets in their regional fleets, which IMO can be more comfortable than an A320/737 if anything. Lufthansa also has some CRJ700s and 900s in their fleet, but none of the European airlines have truly inferior regional products anymore (think CRJ200 / E145). Legroom in particular can often be worse on the larger aircraft.

IADCA

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:39 pm

SEU wrote:
b787900 wrote:
SEU wrote:

The question specifically mentioned AA, and the reply before yours answered AA. Most people able to answer that question would be AA staff or intimates, and probably wouldn't know the flight number sequences for elsewhere. What more did you want, a stream of tangentially relevant responses coming within minutes of the thread being posted?

And for a lot of carriers, it's hardly complicated or interesting. For example, for NZ: 5XXX is ATRs (the Mount Cook fleet); 8XXX is Dashes (Air Nelson).

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:59 pm

Oh, for the days of yore, when multiple airlines in the U.S. meant that virtually no airline had a four-digit flight number....we all thought flight #999 was as high as anyone could go!

In fact, if you check out old flight routings by numbers in the back of many flight schedules from the 80's, most of them didn't fill all the numbers anyway, leaving many blocks of numbers in reserve for later. Here's an example, Pan Am from 1985:

http://www.departedflights.com/PA102785p94.html

It should be noted that, in the past, some airlines (AA) were stalwarts in keeping the same route the same flight number year after year, whilst other airlines (UA) changed them with every new itinerary published.

Once merger-mania kicked in, and two airlines with more than enough three-digit numbers for flights suddenly became one airline without enough. I remember the days when people actually buzzed in the airport about a four-digit flight number! But mainly because it was new and unique, and it quickly became the new normal.

At the same time came "Express" versions of the airline, "operated for mega-carrier XYZ by ABC airlines", came about. Their flight numbers were always four digit, and usually starting with 2, but not always (it depended on the airline). Some carriers were very specific in their designations - some itineraries actually listed the regional flights by carrier - while others simply compiled it into their timetables under "express". In later years, even this was dropped, as it was just treated as one giant timetable. United, if I remember correctly, separated WingsWest from SkyWest flights.

Ironically, the OP's question might actually be one of the last remnants of any kind of code or pattern remaining to the designation of flight numbers: Airlines completely randomize their flight numbers to change frequently (I've heard this is to keep too much data from being compiled on a chronically-delayed flight segment), however, for branded "express" flying, this may still be a requirement and something still necessary.

Cubsrule

Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:56 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
Ironically, the OP's question might actually be one of the last remnants of any kind of code or pattern remaining to the designation of flight numbers: Airlines completely randomize their flight numbers to change frequently (I've heard this is to keep too much data from being compiled on a chronically-delayed flight segment), however, for branded "express" flying, this may still be a requirement and something still necessary.

DL still has a decent number of longhaul flight numbers that go back to before the merger and have been consistent (other than COVID suspensions). Some examples are 146/147 for ATL-SCL and 116/117 for ATL-STR.

aaflyer222

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:22 pm

any reason that aa has 3 flight number groups for oo? this is unusual at aa.

bohica

Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:47 pm

aaflyer222 wrote:
any reason that aa has 3 flight number groups for oo? this is unusual at aa.

My guess is that OO has picked up additional flying for AA and needed more flight numbers. For now they will have several flight number ranges. Every so often, the majors will realign the flight numbers for their feeders. At that time OO should have one set of flight numbers.

452QX

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:19 pm

AS uses 2000-2999 for Horizon and 3000-3999 for Skywest