Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AWACSooner
Topic Author

DL "security" questions and passport sticker for US return flights

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:05 pm

Bottom line:
Why is it that Delta appears to be the only carrier who asks "Twenty Questions" for pax returning to the US internationally, then puts a sticker on the back of folks' passports?

Background:
I've googled it, searched other forums, and this one has continued to stump me. Every single time I've flown back to the US on Delta, I've had to play the security theater questionnaire for a Delta representative. then get that sticker on the back of the passport that no one ever inspects. The agents say "US security requires it," but somehow every other airline I've flown to the US has never asked me any of those questions, or even put that sticker on the back of my passport. Going through Schiphol, there's even a section by the E pier (I think) that forces all pax returning to the US via DL to pass through and complete this task. But if you're returning via KLM flight (DL codeshare), you're exempt.

Can anyone offer insight into this?

sxf24

Re: DL "security" questions and passport sticker for US return flights

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:12 pm

That’s an excellent question. The clearance at AMS is super annoying.

dcaproducer

Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:28 pm

It’s not just AMS. I’ve had DL security folks do this at ATH, MAD and FRA. The guy at FRA put the wrong date on the sticker and the gate agent wouldn’t accept my passport for boarding. They had to find the guy and get him to confirm he messed up, so sometimes they look at it. As to the reason for the checks, maybe someone else can answer.

DTWLAX

Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:58 am

It is not just DL. I have had AF put the sticker on my passport at CDG when flying back to the US.

danman132x

Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:37 pm

These people are extremely rude in my opinion half the time. Usually you cannot understand their English because they are from the east, so I ask them to repeat the questions and they get upset about it. Definitely just security theater. Then in FRA I seem to get the SSSS more often than not, even though I have global entry and never have an issue stateside. Last time they did the full carryon inspection, they stole a pair of Costas in the case. Didn't realize it until I got on the plane, and I know they were sitting right on top in my bag after the regular security screenings.

fjhc

Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:07 pm

I've had a similar sort of questioning at BRU, flying United. I'm British, and live in the UK, but my husband is American so I travel to the US a lot. I've never had the 20 questions anywhere else. I tend to fly BA/AA, and so that's the only time I've flown with United, and I've never been on Delta.

AWACSooner
Topic Author

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:42 pm

Anecdotal for me...
All my inbound US flights:

20 questions-
DL CDG-ATL
DL BRU-ATL

non-20 questions (over the past decade)-
AB DUS-JFK
AB DUS-MIA
Condor FRA-BWI
AA LHR-RDU
UA LHR-LAX
KL AMS-ATL (x2)
BA LHR-EWR
AA CUR-MIA
LH FRA-IAH
AF CDG-ATL
KL AMS-SLC
KL AMS-JFK
KL AMS-MSP
OS VIE-EWR
UA DEL-EWR

SCQ83

Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:14 am

fjhc wrote:
I've had a similar sort of questioning at BRU, flying United. I'm British, and live in the UK, but my husband is American so I travel to the US a lot. I've never had the 20 questions anywhere else. I tend to fly BA/AA, and so that's the only time I've flown with United, and I've never been on Delta.

The only time I have been questioned flying to the US was in BRU with AA. At that point I was student on a F1 visa and the Belgian AA representative in Brussels wanted to know where I worked. I tried to explain her that I was a full-time student in the US so I was not working but she didn't understand. Fortunately I had a business card from my last role (in the EU) in my wallet which I showed her and she was happy.

She was utterly stupid.

n757kw

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:20 pm

I have had this done in ICN, however it was not done by airline employees but the Korean government employees doing the passport and security screening during transit.

N757KW

AWACSooner
Topic Author

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:34 pm

n757kw wrote:
I have had this done in ICN, however it was not done by airline employees but the Korean government employees doing the passport and security screening during transit.

N757KW

I've seen it with governmental agencies during immigration entry/exit around the world...but DL is the only one I've experienced that does it of their own volition and claims it's because "US law tells us to."

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Has anyone experienced this with Virgin Atlantic connecting with a Delta flight within the U.S.?

jumpjets

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:17 pm

I have had the full 20 questions type regime on AA flights from LHR, once to ORD and once to MIA but on neither occasion was my passport stamped.

Once when flying MIA-ORD-MAN an agent walked up and down the security queue at MIA asking if there were any passengers making an international connection and we were taken off and grilled and had our bags and walking boots inspected before being then sent back to the security queue. That was only a few months after 9/11, so perhaps not too surprising.

Being sent back to the queue and not even the front of the queue really irked me!

twicearound

Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:17 pm

I’ve had this happen on AA, VS, and South African. certainly not unique to DL

teachpdx

Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:31 am

I’ve received the sticker at LGW flying to the US on Norwegian, twice. It looked like they were taking about 25% of the passengers through the process.

davescj

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:40 am

I've had this on DL FCO - US. I've flown BA to the US (usually ex-FCO) never had the questions.

lugie

Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:37 am

I've been questioned and had my passport stickered on UA out of FRA (upon checkin), UA out of ZRH (connecting), and AC out of FRA (Also US ex-FRA back when they were still around).

I thought that was a standard procedure. The questioning was rather brief though, definitely not "20" questions, more like three or four, the usual ones being "did you pack your suitcase yourself" and "who drove you to the airport".

melpax

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 pm

Seen this happen when walking past DL checkin at KIX back in 2019 & though it was overkill.

No questioning when flying MEL-LAX on QF.

Boeing757100

Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:42 pm

Yeah, I did encounter this questioning when I flew back from SXM-ATL. Oddly it was just me out of my whole family who was called up, despite me not even being 16 yet. It's kinda scary when it's just you up there, totally separated from your family and being subjected to a "random search."

Wednesdayite

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:46 pm

I’ve had the questions then sticker from UA for my last 3 LHR-DEN flights. Along with the normal luggage questions, they’ve asked:

From where did you travel to the airport?

What method of transport did you use?

How long did the journey take?

FGITD

Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:19 am

Boeing757100 wrote:
Yeah, I did encounter this questioning when I flew back from SXM-ATL. Oddly it was just me out of my whole family who was called up, despite me not even being 16 yet. It's kinda scary when it's just you up there, totally separated from your family and being subjected to a "random search."

At my carrier we couldn’t ask questions like that to those under 18 without a parent present. My advice is if it happens to you again while underage and you don’t feel comfortable with it, ask to have a parent present. Most likely they’ll just decide it isn’t worth it and send you along.

Otherwise hope you enjoyed SXM and got to make the pilgrimage to maho beach

BuildingMyBento

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:10 am

The DL trogs at PEK always questioned me when NRT-bound, and confiscated my freaking water. The U.S. sucks to fly to/fro, and China's no different.

And hey, the pandemic hasn't changed of that; both still suck travel-wise.

BuildingMyBento

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:11 am

The DL trogs at PEK always questioned me when NRT-bound, and confiscated my freaking water. The U.S. sucks to fly to/fro, and China's no different.

And hey, the pandemic hasn't changed of that; both still suck travel-wise.

csturdiv

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:59 am

I've had this happen to me on every flight (QF or AA) to the US out of SYD. Never have found out what the sticker is for. Never was a secondary search, just the questions and the sticker.

Boeing757100

Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:18 pm

FGITD wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

At my carrier we couldn’t ask questions like that to those under 18 without a parent present. My advice is if it happens to you again while underage and you don’t feel comfortable with it, ask to have a parent present. Most likely they’ll just decide it isn’t worth it and send you along.

Otherwise hope you enjoyed SXM and got to make the pilgrimage to maho beach

Thanks for the suggestion! Next time I'll just ask them if a parent can come with me. And yes, SXM was AWESOME :D