Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YYZSpotter1991
Topic Author

Options for Passing Time at HND on a Long Transit?

Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm set to undertake a trip from YYZ-ORD-HND-BKK-USM at the beginning of September, and I have a roughly 9-hour layover in Haneda on the way there (and around 5 1/2 hours on the return trip). I had intended to see if I could leave the airport for 6 of those hours to explore Tokyo and then return for my next flight, but that is unfortunately impossible at this time (due to Japan currently only allowing entry for non-Japanese citizens by way of group travel and visas are required). I know that I'm still good to stay in the international departures area of Haneda for transit.

My question is, what are some of the ways I can pass the time waiting in that area of the airport? Are there any lounges that I could pay to access so I could at least freshen up and rest before the next flight (a 12:35 am departure to BKK), or any activities that would keep me occupied until boarding time? Or am I between a rock and a hard place in terms of what I can do while waiting in transit?

eurotrader85

Re: Options for Passing Time at HND on a Long Transit?

Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:01 pm

Connected there once. Six hours of my life I will never get back :crying: Good luck.

YYZSpotter1991
Topic Author

Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:24 am

eurotrader85 wrote:
Connected there once. Six hours of my life I will never get back :crying: Good luck.

"Gulp".... well, hopefully it doesn't end up the same way for me. Fingers crossed!

DocLightning

Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:16 am

There is an observation deck. Whether you can get to it without immigrating...I do not know.

Fuling

Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:10 am

Airside HND T3 is literally just another airport with most restaurants/stores closed. HND is wayyy nicer than NRT though, so at least there's that.

DocLightning wrote:
There is an observation deck. Whether you can get to it without immigrating...I do not know.

It's not airside unfortunately.

WesternDC6B

Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:41 pm

About all I can suggest is a Kindle with a good battery, and some books.

conaly

Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:32 am

HND is a great airport, however many fun stuff is in the landside area. So spending a lot of time in T3 airside/transition won't be much fun. There was not that much interesting there to begin with and currently a lot of it is closed anyway.

One possible option: There is the Sky lounge in T3, that has some few amenities. You get some free drinks (alcohol does cost extra however) and maybe a bag of chips. It costs 1050 Yen. Not a great lounge, but maybe better than sitting in the terminal for so long. You get a nice view over the apron area though!

Most restaurants are closed unfortunately. However, some food stalls are open. I especially liked MUGINBO, shortly behind Gate 114. Some really great Udon noodles. So if you wanna grab some food, I can recommend that one (opening times according to website 9AM - 5PM). Just go there before you go to the lounge.

YYZSpotter1991
Topic Author

Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:13 pm

I would definitely like to do some spotting if I'm going to be there for so long, so the Sky Lounge could be a decent option for part of it. 1050 Yen isn't bad (around $10 CAD currently). Free drinks would go some way too. As long as I can get there while remaining airside in the international departures area, that is something worth exploring.

I had hoped to try some sushi, but I do like Udon noodles as well, so I might just look for the Muginbo stall and grab a plate prior to the lounge.

fallap

Sun Jul 24, 2022 3:35 pm

What nationality do you have since you are required to apply for a visa to enter Japan?

Personally, I would just bring a good book, get cosy somewhere with some coffee and a snack or two, try a few restaurants, look at the airplanes, contemplate about your life and your plans for the future. Maybe text your ex or learn a new language at Duolingo. Before you know it, the nine (9) hours will have passed in a jiffy.

conaly

Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:07 pm

fallap wrote:
What nationality do you have since you are required to apply for a visa to enter Japan?

Independent of nationality Japan has suspended visa free entry completely. Tourist visas are available only under very strict conditions and are very limited. Individual traveling with tourist visas is not permitted, you need to book a registered group tour to enter the country as tourist.

YYZSpotter1991
Topic Author

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:38 pm

fallap wrote:

Personally, I would just bring a good book, get cosy somewhere with some coffee and a snack or two, try a few restaurants, look at the airplanes, contemplate about your life and your plans for the future. Maybe text your ex or learn a new language at Duolingo. Before you know it, the nine (9) hours will have passed in a jiffy.

Ordinarily as a Canadian, I wouldn't need a visa to travel to Japan, but circumstances during the pandemic have caused Japan to virtually suspend all visa-free travel apart from Japanese citizens.

fallap

Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:46 am

conaly wrote:
fallap wrote:

Independent of nationality Japan has suspended visa free entry completely. Tourist visas are available only under very strict conditions and are very limited. Individual traveling with tourist visas is not permitted, you need to book a registered group tour to enter the country as tourist.

Thank God for my Diplomatic Visa