Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

What would happen if United Airlines relocated one of its hubs from Houston to San Antonio

Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:02 pm

so I was wondering what happen if United relocated its hub from Houston to San Antonio. Would Houston have a decline in the IAH airport and would be domestic or still be international without hub and San Antonio have a increase and have more flights to around the world so people can travel to The Alamo from the world because United has a hub there.

davidjohnson6

Re: What would happen if United Airlines relocated one of its hubs from Houston to San Antonio

Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:07 pm

You seem to be asking a question about a highly theoretical world that does not exist. It assumes United is not a company that seeks to make a profit, but instead owned by the Alamo tourism center. If such a world existed, I imagine United would not have hubs in places like Newark, Chicago or San Francisco

BoeingGuy

Re: What would happen if United Airlines relocated one of its hubs from Houston to San Antonio

Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:44 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
so I was wondering what happen if United relocated its hub from Houston to San Antonio. Would Houston have a decline in the IAH airport and would be domestic or still be international without hub and San Antonio have a increase and have more flights to around the world so people can travel to The Alamo from the world because United has a hub there.

Yes, if UA moved its hub from IAH to SAT, then IAH would have fewer flights. SAT would have more flights. Isn’t that obvious? I’m very unclear what you are even asking.

jetwet1

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:49 pm

Pretty simple, UA would lose a lot of money, CEO would be fired, BOD would be sued/voted out, a few thousand share holder lawsuits.

johns624

Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:38 pm

To add on to other replies, do that many foreign tourists even go to the Alamo?

ACDC8

Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:03 pm

johns624 wrote:

Add to that, last I checked and The Alamo doesn't even get 3 million tourists in a year, pretty sure that foreign nationals visiting only represent a small percentage of that.

I seriously doubt that The Alamo is high on the bucket list for foreign tourists and pretty sure flying into SAT instead of IAH has zero to do with that, after all, its The Alamo, not Disneyland.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:31 pm

ACDC8 wrote:
johns624 wrote:

Add to that, last I checked and The Alamo doesn't even get 3 million tourists in a year, pretty sure that foreign nationals visiting only represent a small percentage of that.

I seriously doubt that The Alamo is high on the bucket list for foreign tourists and pretty sure flying into SAT instead of IAH has zero to do with that, after all, its The Alamo, not Disneyland.

The Alamo has about 2.5 million visitors and the place was built by the Spanish people and the place is for history buffs

ACDC8

Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:50 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
The Alamo has about 2.5 million visitors and the place was built by the Spanish people and the place is for history buffs

Yeah, I know what The Alamo is and also know its not a tourist Mecca for foreigners visiting the US. Foreign Tourists are more interested in Disney World and it has nothing to do with the lack of flights going into SAT.

phatfarmlines

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:55 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Pretty simple, UA would lose a lot of money, CEO would be fired, BOD would be sued/voted out, a few thousand share holder lawsuits.

And Delta would abandon its efforts at AUS and would expeditiously open a hub at IAH (probably ULCC/WN expansion also).

AviationLuver

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:38 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:

I live in Texas, I love San Antonio, I love the Alamo and everything it stands for. With that said, SA will never be Houston and/or have a hub, nor the flights of Houston. Nor should it. Frankly, SA is a ‘sleepy little town’ from an aviation perspective; it has virtually all the service it needs.

Sure, you could add a few flights to connect some dots here and there, but there isn’t much else to do in terms of flights and traffic. The Alamo, Sea World and Fiesta Texas doesn’t change that.

UltraMaga747

Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:00 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:

What would happen? United would lose a ton of money that's what.

twicearound

Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:42 pm

Maybe United should move their Chicago hub to Rapid City SD while we’re playing this game. Mount Rushmore gets around 2.5 million annual visitors, less air congestion than ORD, and it’s less distance to points in Far East Asia. Winner winner!

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:52 pm

twicearound wrote:
Maybe United should move their Chicago hub to Rapid City SD while we’re playing this game. Mount Rushmore gets around 2.5 million annual visitors, less air congestion than ORD, and it’s less distance to points in Far East Asia. Winner winner!
United would lose a lot of money if they moved it to Rapid City. Largest United hub is Chicago

AirKevin

Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:06 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
twicearound wrote:
United would lose a lot of money if they moved it to Rapid City. Largest United hub is Chicago

Pretty sure he knew that, but that's as logical as moving from Houston to San Antonio.

SQfan1

Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:10 am

As a San Antonio resident, I can say SAT simply does not have the terminal or runway infrastructure to have a hub as postulated. The city is planning to expand the terminal modestly, but we are most certainly still a spoke. Also, due to location, it's extremely challenging to expand the airfield for hub operations (simultaneous approaches).

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:14 am

SQfan1 wrote:
As a San Antonio resident, I can say SAT simply does not have the terminal or runway infrastructure to have a hub as postulated. The city is planning to expand the terminal modestly, but we are most certainly still a spoke. Also, due to location, it's extremely challenging to expand the airfield for hub operations (simultaneous approaches).

They probably build a large airport near San Antonio if United moved its Texas hub there.

twicearound

Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:39 am

AirKevin wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
twicearound wrote:

Pretty sure he knew that, but that's as logical as moving from Houston to San Antonio.

Thanks! You get it, but I guess some people just can’t. Sarcasm is wasted on others.

johns624

Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:12 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
twicearound wrote:
Pre-pandemic, Houston was almost as big as Chicago, yet you want to move it.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... /96983530/

johns624

Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:13 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
SQfan1 wrote:

They probably build a large airport near San Antonio if United moved its Texas hub there.
Where at?

CarlosSi

Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:02 am

Lol just no.

Theoretically yeah, UA could be a hub at SAT if it had the space there, and there’s be lots of connections while IAH would be a large non-hub, but it doesn’t make sense when SAT doesn’t have the big flyer base to begin with.

SAT /was/ a “focus city” for UA briefly in the 2000s, but it was an express airline I think, and was short lived. It’s no AUS like AA is doing there.

SAT will always mostly be Texan tourism and some significant out of state, but much as we pride in our Alamo, it’s really just a very very VERY popular purple dinosaur. *Part of my soul gets torn as I say that*

DaCubbyBearBar

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:48 am

0hAerqplane wrote:

They should move the hub to the Grand Canyon!! About 6 MILLION tourists visit there A YEAR!!!

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:07 pm

johns624 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
SQfan1 wrote:

Where at?

They can build a large airport by building a highway that stretches 30 miles from San Antonio that faces south

johns624

Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:03 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
johns624 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
Where at?

They can build a large airport by building a highway that stretches 30 miles from San Antonio that faces south
Oh, so and airport and a highway on the hope (dream) that someone will hub it? You do know that money doesn't grow on trees, don't you?

ACDC8

Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:11 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:
They should move the hub to the Grand Canyon!! About 6 MILLION tourists visit there A YEAR!!!

And move the JFK and EWR hubs to BUF since Niagara Falls sees 8 million tourists a year :spin:

To the OP, joking side - there is zero, not a single legitimate reason for UA to move a hub from IAH to SAT - not one.

So to answer your question, nothing will happen because it won't happen.

TWA772LR

Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:39 am

If San Antonio and Austin were to build a huge DFW-style airport in New Braunfels then maybe.

af773atmsp

Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:32 am

I think it's been firmly established that UA wouldn't move their IAH hub to SAT, but let's not get too hard on OP. Maybe they're young and don't quite understand the economics of the airline industry. When I was a teen I wanted all sorts of foreign airlines including Air Tahiti Nui, Egypt Air, Qantas, Kenya Airways, etc. to serve my hometown airport of MSP. We didn't get that, but there's still been expansion and progress over the years (notably for me the several occurrences of AF scheduling a 773 on CDG-MSP). While SAT won't be like IAH, I'm sure there's plenty of ways service can be improved and expanded there.

SRQKEF

Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:29 pm

The OP is either very young or a troll, so there's no reason to debate this either way. This is just another variation of the highly irrational "should airline X start flights to airport Y" threads we seem to be getting way too often these days. No, Air Niugini should not start flights to Boston even if we're all about "connecting the world" and "thinking outside the box".

af773atmsp

Wed Aug 24, 2022 5:42 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
The OP is either very young or a troll, so there's no reason to debate this either way. This is just another variation of the highly irrational "should airline X start flights to airport Y" threads we seem to be getting way too often these days. No, Air Niugini should not start flights to Boston even if we're all about "connecting the world" and "thinking outside the box".

I haven't noticed an uptick in threads about the possibility of a random airline serving a random airport. Those threads have always been around, at least since I joined, and at least once I started one of those threads ("When will KQ come to MSP" or very similar title to that). I forget when but years ago I remember seeing a thread about the potential for service from CLE to TLV.

If you're annoyed with those threads then report them to the mods, but I'm not sure they'll do anything since I don't think any rules were broken. Besides that, you can just ignore those threads. It's not like you're obligated to give a response.

ua900

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:09 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:

1. Traffic to and from SAT would increase quite a bit. Perhaps 100,000 additional travelers would now stop at the Alamo and the San Jacinto Monument would fade into oblivion. But let's remember that 1) the Alamo isn't the Eiffel tower, Big Ben, or the Statue of Liberty and 2) relatively few people fly around the world so they can these singular attractions. Maybe if you throw in the riverwalk amphitheater or the fiesta parade or the Witte Museum... ;-)

2. IAH would have a decline, but let's remember that UA kept the IAH hub around for O&D reasons as well, like IAH being a sizable energy and medical hub. DFW and IAH aren't just big airports, they got that big in no small part because of their respective metro areas.

3. Someone else would make IAH their next major hub. Not AA obviously, but perhaps DL (forget about SLC), NK (fewer worries about FL airspace congestion right there), or someone else.

4. Not sure how much of the Capex for the current IAH upgrades comes straight from UA, but that portion would obviously be sunk cost for UA.

5. How many ex-Cons in SAT vs. IAH? Staffing seems tight enough already, where would they move to in the SAT area? New Braunfels is feeling the pressure from the AUS housing market, would they move to Schertz or Seguin?

6. Last I checked IAH comes up often enough as a potential HQ replacement for UA. Sure, it would be a bigger move to IAH than it was from Elk Grove Village to Wacker and Sears. But still, IAH is a sizable second UA HQ even today. More than a few Chicago area employees would appreciate the lack of a state income tax coupled with a relative lack of winter.

TWA772LR wrote:
If San Antonio and Austin were to build a huge DFW-style airport in New Braunfels then maybe.

Schlitterbahn bookings and Cedar Fair stock would be going through the roof ;-)

SQfan1 wrote:

Quite right, SAT can't afford that and even SAT has NIMBYs. Fewer than AUS perhaps, but still.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:17 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

They would do that and build it like IAH style airport and it would provide daily flights to South America, Asia, and Europe and around the world with more destinations than IAH

IADCA

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:36 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
SQfan1 wrote:

Fine, but that would take years.

Like, this is "I'll have what he's having" territory. Here's what happens if I see a UA announcement that it's leaving IAH as a hub and moving to San Antonio:

1) I check the calendar to see if it's April 1;
2) I look at my coffee and wonder if I accidentally put some LSD or shrooms in it;
3) UA's stock price goes down by 35%;
4) DL announces a hub at IAH, just barely beating B6, WN, AS, and every other American carrier of any size to fill the giant yawning gulf in airline service to the fifth-largest city in the US, one with massive premium demand from oil and gas that SAT doesn't have, and also 3x SAT's population;
5) UA fires its entire C-suite;
6) I decide WTF, this is going to be an amusing day for those of us who follow airlines and add a lot of Jameson to my second cup of coffee. I do this while buying a lot of Delta stock.

This all happens within about an hour.

ua900

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:50 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

They would do that and build it like IAH style airport and it would provide daily flights to South America, Asia, and Europe and around the world with more destinations than IAH

1. I hope you know that DFW came about because Dallas and Forth Worth were made to "do that". In this day and age, who would "make them" to that since there's no more CAB?

2. And who would be willing pay for it? UA? SAT? AUS? Area voters via bonds?

3. Also, what if, (and there's no historic precedent :D) at least one carrier would refuse to vacate SAT (some WN type, cough) and there would be another Wright Amendment?

4. A combined greater SAT and greater AUS area have less than half of the population of either DFW area or IAH area. Hard to picture more destinations than IAH w/o the O&D component, no?

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:52 pm

IADCA wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
SQfan1 wrote:

Fine, but that would take years.

Like, this is "I'll have what he's having" territory. Here's what happens if I see a UA announcement that it's leaving IAH as a hub and moving to San Antonio:

1) I check the calendar to see if it's April 1;
2) I look at my coffee and wonder if I accidentally put some LSD or shrooms in it;
3) UA's stock price goes down by 35%;
4) DL announces a hub at IAH, just barely beating B6, WN, AS, and every other American carrier of any size to fill the giant yawning gulf in airline service to the fifth-largest city in the US, one with massive premium demand from oil and gas that SAT doesn't have, and also 3x SAT's population;
5) UA fires its entire C-suite;
6) I decide WTF, this is going to be an amusing day for those of us who follow airlines and add a lot of Jameson to my second cup of coffee. I do this while buying a lot of Delta stock.

This all happens within about an hour.

1. UA moves it hub into San Antonio
2. DL makes a hub at Houston
3. UA's stock prices goes up by 35%
4. San Antonio will get airlines such as Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, Japan Airlines, Emirates, and more
5. UA doesnt fire its C-suite
6. San Antonio new airport will be in New Braunfels
7. San Antonio will have 2x population beating Houston on 4.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:54 pm

ua900 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

1. I hope you know that DFW came about because Dallas and Forth Worth were made to "do that". In this day and age, who would "make them" to that since there's no more CAB?

3. Also, what if, (and there's no historic precedent :D) at least one carrier would refuse to vacate SAT (some WN type, cough) and there would be another Wright Amendment?

4. A combined greater SAT and greater AUS area have less than half of the population of either DFW area or IAH area. Hard to picture more destinations than IAH w/o the O&D component, no?
I think SAT will pay for the new airport

johns624

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:10 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
ua900 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

You're not a local taxpayer, are you?

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:12 pm

johns624 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:
ua900 wrote:

I am not totally a local taxpayer

johns624

Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:13 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
johns624 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

I am not totally a local taxpayer
If you were, you wouldn't want to pay for a new, meaningless airport.

AAPilot48Heavy

Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:36 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
ua900 wrote:
0hAerqplane wrote:

I really can't tell if you are joking or not. San Antonio is NOT going to pay for a new airport somewhere else.

Yes, it would be cool from an aviation enthusiast to see a massive airport between AUS & SAT with 10 Runways, each 15,000 ft long and 400 gates, but let's be realistic, that isn't happening.