Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N14AZ
Topic Author

Immigration at CGK still a mess?

Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:01 am

In early May I travelled to Jakarta and was extremely shocked about the immigration procedures. I spent three hours at the immigration only. The Covid checkings before were no problem. I had a business visa, so no Visa-on-arrival, which would have taken even more time. After Covid checkings I spent three hours in the immigration area.

Later on the taxi driver tried to calm me down by saying „out of sudden , five of these large aircraft had landed at the same time so the poor immigration officers were overloaded. Believe me, they didn’t act like they were overloaded…

So my question is: does anybody know if it’s still that messy?

n757kw

Re: Immigration at CGK still a mess?

Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm

I have always found JKT immigration to be a mess at night. It itakes me almost always an hour to get through immigration. When I had to get the visa on arrival it usually was 2 hours. The worst was almost 3 hours. During the day, it has never taken me more than 30 minutes to get through immigration at Jakarta. I was there in March for covid madness. Took about 2 hours for testing and immigration. However, it is not just JKT, I have spent on average of an hour for immigration in Denpasar and Palembang.

N757KW

N14AZ
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:23 am

Thank you for your reply. I arrived on time at 5pm. I traveled with a colleague who has a diplomatic passport. So immigration was quicker but he had to wait for two hours until the suitcases arrived on the carousel…

It’s really annoying. I don’t look forward to my next Indonesia trip later this month..

I was particularly annoyed by the behavior of the immigration officers. Seems as if they have no power at home so they have to play the big boss at work…

n757kw

Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:41 pm

If you think they are on a power trip at Jakarta, try a smaller port. They are worse. At least I know it will take 1-2 hours in Jakarta. I have done Palembang a number of times. It is always one flight, less than 200 passenger and it still takes 1-2 hours. Palembang Immigration likes to asks lots of questions, Jakarta has rarely asked any questions. Palembang Customs will search your bags every time, Jakarta has not yet.

Side note, no matter how long it takes immigration, my checked baggage is never on the belt in baggage claim. 3 hours one time, still had to wait for my bags.

N757KW

N14AZ
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:39 pm

n757kw wrote:
If you think they are on a power trip at Jakarta, try a smaller port. They are worse. At least I know it will take 1-2 hours in Jakarta. I have done Palembang a number of times. It is always one flight, less than 200 passenger and it still takes 1-2 hours. Palembang Immigration likes to asks lots of questions, Jakarta has rarely asked any questions. Palembang Customs will search your bags every time, Jakarta has not yet.

Side note, no matter how long it takes immigration, my checked baggage is never on the belt in baggage claim. 3 hours one time, still had to wait for my bags.

N757KW

Good lord, I am so much looking forward to my trip to Indonesia…. NOT!!!

n757kw

Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:27 pm

It is not all bad in Indonesia. There are a lot of things I like and a lot of things I don't. I enjoy Indonesia once I get there. I have no love lost for immigration and customs at the airports. Flying in Indonesia leaves a lot to be desired, but I put up with it.

N757KW

N14AZ
Topic Author

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:59 pm

Guess what happened. My trip to Indonesia has been canceled. Very happy about that.

But things might have become better as regards to the immigration in CGK. My colleague arrived there on Sunday and didn’t had to wait in the immigration hall.