Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Are there any US airlines without leather seats ?

Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:33 am

Looking at traveling from TPA to SEA on an airline without leather seats which I find incredibly uncomfortable

Are there any such operators these days ?

seat1a

Re: Are there any US airlines without leather seats ?

Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:58 pm

And it all started with Braniff - The Ultra Touch of Leather is here in Coach and First Class. lol

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:41 pm

seat1a wrote:
And it all started with Braniff - The Ultra Touch of Leather is here in Coach and First Class. lol

And that started when BN couldn’t get money out of South America, so they brought out hides paid in local currency.

PI4EVR

Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:51 pm

In a short answer you likely knew already........no. Your choices from TPA will be AA, AS, DL, UA, WN, F9 and NK and all with faux leather seats. Even Silver have them on their ATR's. It won't help going to SEA, but I do know BA has fabric seats in economy class. You can fly TPA-SEA nonstop on AS and DL but a long ride at times close to six hours!
The faux leather material is more durable, easier to clean and maintain and added a bit of "luxury" to coach class kind of like a car with leather seats. The old process during heavy maintenance of changing out the seat fabrics to dry clean and reinstall was costly and time-consuming.
They can be uncomfortable no question about that and with airlines no longer providing blankets not much to soften the feel beyond a pillow you haul aboard from home. I know this may sound crude, but the round donut pillow for suffers of hemorrhoid's is an easy solution to carry and use to care for the "tush" during a long flight. A pillow is a pillow right?
Good luck with your travel plans and best wishes for a comfortable flight.
P.S. Not being a smartass, but Amtrak has fabric seats in the sleeper compartments and the "Empire Builder" from Chicago is an awesome trip with beautiful scenery and food is included if you book a sleeper roomette or bedroom compartment. Just allow 3 days to get there.........

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:59 am

PI4EVR wrote:
In a short answer you likely knew already........no. Your choices from TPA will be AA, AS, DL, UA, WN, F9 and NK and all with faux leather seats. Even Silver have them on their ATR's. It won't help going to SEA, but I do know BA has fabric seats in economy class. You can fly TPA-SEA nonstop on AS and DL but a long ride at times close to six hours!
The faux leather material is more durable, easier to clean and maintain and added a bit of "luxury" to coach class kind of like a car with leather seats. The old process during heavy maintenance of changing out the seat fabrics to dry clean and reinstall was costly and time-consuming.
They can be uncomfortable no question about that and with airlines no longer providing blankets not much to soften the feel beyond a pillow you haul aboard from home. I know this may sound crude, but the round donut pillow for suffers of hemorrhoid's is an easy solution to carry and use to care for the "tush" during a long flight. A pillow is a pillow right?
Good luck with your travel plans and best wishes for a comfortable flight.
P.S. Not being a smartass, but Amtrak has fabric seats in the sleeper compartments and the "Empire Builder" from Chicago is an awesome trip with beautiful scenery and food is included if you book a sleeper roomette or bedroom compartment. Just allow 3 days to get there.........

These seats are as far from ‘luxury’ as you can get they’re not what is found in a Lexus !

That’s kind of what I thought though, not going to take Amtrak !

The fact that these seats are leather or faux leather doesn’t really bother me, I didn’t find myself sliding around, the problem is they’re extremely uncomfortable with little padding, feels like sitting on a board after a few minutes

I’m looking on line to find a travel pillow for sitting on and there’s lots of options in memory foam

Anyone suggest a good one and how do Delta vs Alaska seats compare ?

Max Q
Topic Author

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:49 am

Interesting that the new Polaris seats are fabric, a good choice, obviously real comfort was seen to be more important than anything else

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:57 pm

Max Q
Topic Author

Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:09 am

Looks pretty good but very bulky to cart around while traveling

I’ve found a couple of memory foam alternatives on Amazon that can fold up into a carry on, will probably go with that

teachpdx

Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:07 pm

I’m on the exact opposite side of this… due to (perceived) cleanliness.
There’s no way to tell how clean a cloth seat is. And if I’m sitting on it from 1-15 hours I want it to be clean. I can easily wipe down a faux leather seat myself… near impossible with a cloth seat.

usdcaguy

Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:04 pm

One way to look at it is that cloth seats are easier for lice to grab onto and bury their eggs inside of. It’s much harder for them to grab onto slick leather.