Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UltraMaga747
Topic Author

Which Airline/Travel Credit Card Do You Use? -

Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:16 pm

This is more of a 'Poll' than anything:

For those of you who use a Credit/Debit card to accumulate travel miles/points, what card do you use and why (if you care to share)?

For us: We use the Citi American Airlines Executive Card for day-to-day purchases. It allows us to rack up AA Miles, which we then cash in for reward flights.

Ben -

davidjohnson6

Re: Which Airline/Travel Credit Card Do You Use? -

Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:15 pm

Retailers and merchants in Europe pay much lower fees to credit card companies for processing payments, so merchants don't need to add extra markup to goods in shops, and products in stores are a little bit cheaper than they would be otherwise. Those of us living in Europe don't get airline points... we just don't have to pay for the extra processing cost of what we buy

It still amazes me that Americans allow banks and credit card companies to charge such high fees to merchants, when payment processing should be a very cheap service to provide. When a legacy vendor of services gets greedy... somebody should be finding a way to provide the service for cheaper. The free market should be working in the interests of the masses

N776AU

Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:28 am

I'm not a big spender by any stretch, but credit cards are a game for me maximizing points and value. I carry:

Chase Sapphire Reserve
Chase Freedom Flex
Platinum Delta Skymiles American Express
JetBlue Mastercard (the no annual fee variety)

Seems to be a good mix for me.

bfitzflyer

Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:03 am

Chase Sapphire - so many airline partners, you can transfer miles to globally or can use the miles in many different ways

Wednesdayite

Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:19 am

Have both the Chase (United) and Citi (AA) cards.

Both Star and One World have Denver - London routes, so I always have enough miles on hand to go with whichever has the best deal on the dates I need.

PatrickZ80

Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:20 am

I never understood the link between credit cards and frequent flyer programs. Miles/points/whatever should be in an account with the airline regardless which method of payment is used.

Credit cards have never been a big thing here in Europe, many people don't have one and don't want to have one either. Or if there's no avoiding them, they get one from their bank and use that for everything they pay with a credit card.

Personally I got a free virtual digital debit card which I use for everything I can only buy with a credit card such as some airlines (EasyJet for example). However lately when I booked a flight with Vueling I paid for it with iDeal, which is direct bank to bank transfer with no credit card involved. That works the best.

Frequent flyer programs don't do anything for me anyway, most airlines which I fly don't have any. The few airlines which do have frequent flyer programs, I fly so little that it makes no sense offering it. I never save up anything anyway so it's irrelevant. Not having a frequent flyer program allows an airline to charge lower fares which is way more important for me.

conaly

Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:24 am

I have the Miles&More Senator Mastercard Gold, which I get for free as Gold member. However, In hardly use it currently, as I do have another VISA which gives me a better deal for (other) points. And I use both of them only in Germany. For payments abroad I use a different free VISA that does not require a fee for abroad payment like the two mentioned cards do.

masi1157

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:24 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Those of us living in Europe don't get airline points...

No, not really. I used to have a Lufthansa M&M Mastercard, that a couple of years ago gave me 1M* per 1€ spent. Later it was 1M* per 2€. It also had the benefit that M&M points don't expire, but I paid some 50€/a for the card.

As M&M became more or less worth- and useless for me, I gave it back and used the last few M* for vouchers (from Tchibo). Today I use 2 Visa cards, one from my bank, that is totally free and perfect for everything I pay in €. For the rest I use a free Visa card from Payback. They charge no currency conversion fee and give me some very few Payback P*. So no airline points anymore at all. It makes no sense for me.

Gruß, masi1157

jetblueguy22

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:29 pm

I have the Chase Southwest card. Honestly half my loyalty to WN is purely because of how easy it is to redeem points for tickets. Not so easy on other airlines.

Snuffaluffagus

Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:56 pm

My wife and I signed up for the AA mastercard to get the 60,000 mile bonus for the purchase of a candy bar. We live in an AA hub and will use the miles to go to Europe again in the future when our child is older.

AAPilot48Heavy

Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:26 pm

jetblueguy22 wrote:
I have the Chase Southwest card. Honestly half my loyalty to WN is purely because of how easy it is to redeem points for tickets. Not so easy on other airlines.

I can’t dispute that. Southwest does make their point system very easy to use.

HowardDGA

Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:14 am

Chase United here.

ACDC8

Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:14 pm

I just use a generic travel card from my bank. Point collection is good, point redemption is good, lots of travel benefits such as various insurance coverages and lounge access, and I'm not restricted to one airline.

danman132x

Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:05 am

I have the Delta platinum one. I honestly wish it wasn't American express though. Few places stateside I've had issues with, and overseas in Europe I'm turned down about 80% of the time. Much rather it be a visa or mastercard. I do have a backup, but it's just a quicksilver.
Delta is the best I have here in the florida panhandle with prices typically, and I do love Delta so they get my business.