Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LondonXtreme
Topic Author

Will jetBlue get wide-body for LHR service?

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:52 am

So far, the B6 is doing quite well on LHR and LGW routes. But with the slot restrictions on LHR. It's hard to see B6 can go beyond 2 daily(1 for JFK and 1 for BOS). Is that a good strategy for B6 to fly A321LR to LHR in the long term? I think JFK-LHR can easily filled with a 787 or A350 and all the airlines are utilise the LHR slots with larger aircrafts.

slcdeltarumd11

Re: Will jetBlue get wide-body for LHR service?

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:33 am

no no no and no

Jetblue is way smarter than to do that. Operating one single plane type for one route is a financial disaster. Jetblue is way smarter to sell each seat at a very high price and maximize profits if sales as good as you say. They wont give any seats away.

There is no way they would consider this with the spirit merger mess. Gonna be years of work the last thing they need is a new plane type for one route . Its so much work to have a totally new plane type especially a widebody. All new pilots training, all new maintance, all new staff training, all new parts on hand its a disaster financially for one route. Makes no sense at all, and the route is ultra competitive they are smart to be lean and just sell all seats pretty high. Many other airlines are in the Northeast to London volume game, jetblue can make more profit not trying to join that and focus on maximum profitability of what they do have

questions

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:39 am

B6 has a ways to go to prove the routes are viable. Adding a wide body type now adds complexity and costs. B6 has enough operational challenges to work through without adding something else. I wouldn’t say never.

trexel94

Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:55 am

I would say eventually but likely not before the late 2020s or 2030 and it could be used for not only trunk routes like LHR but also for going deeper into South America like EZE or GRU where the A321s aren't economically feasible. I can see them eventually acquiring A330NEOs as i'm sure Airbus would give them a solid deal. The idea is certainly on their minds as they've publicly expressed interest in wide-bodies and the buyout of NK will provide plenty of new feed. Who knows? It wasn't long ago anybody thought they would have launched London in the first place.

MDC862

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:12 am

WB for 2 routes once a day?
The business model is NB, for a 5 hour trip each direction. Best they stay in their lane or they will get crushed.

al2637

Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:24 am

They will acquire more LHR slots over time as opportunities arise.

321s will serve B6 very well for the foreseeable. They can hit quite a bit of near Europe with them, Ireland, UK, France, AMS, BRU etc. but I do think they will order 330NEO at some point. Not just for LHR, but deeper into Europe and South America

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:03 am

In time, 10 years from now, they'll introduce a 787 for their expanded slot restricted long haul. Hey, my crystal ball is every bit as accurate as any other armchair fleet planner here..

But, I do echo the sentiments of others here... with the pending NK/B6 merger... introducing widebodies to the fleet is an additional headache/complication they can do without for the foreseable future.

penguins

Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:54 am

I have it on good authority that they are perhaps contemplating such a move. :smile:

DLHAM

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:12 am

Flying a too small plane means a lot of profit can be made. Its like Continental and United flying the 757 to HAM for years. The aircraft was too small for the demand, but no need to upgrade because of no competiton (most times) and only few to no seats had to be sold at Junk fares. (Of course Widebody shortage also played a role!).
So better have an airplane too small and selling every seat at a great price than having an airplane too big and having to sell seats at low fares to fill them. Less risk and especially much lower operating cost A321 vs 787/330neo.

DL757NYC

Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:44 am

If the demand is there I could see it. There are only so many slots and they are expensive in places like LHR. They could pick up any number of used A330’s at scrap prices and without breaking the bank they can do it if demand is their. I wasn’t a fan of JetBlue however during the pandemic they flew to my destination. I was more comfortable on the Airbus product and with free wifi and tv it made the weekly trek bearable

jetwet1

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:02 am

Wet lease a wide body with B6 interior and cabin crew ?

Vicenza

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 am

jetwet1 wrote:

But that would not then be a wet lease though.

FlyingHonu001

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:43 am

I think they dont need to. B6 can fill their seats more easily by flying narrowbody across the Atlantic. Its an advantage if done right it can be sustained for years. Going widebody will make them go head to head against the big established / legacy carriers. They wont survive the competition if they do.

mcdu

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:48 am

LondonXtreme wrote:
So far, the B6 is doing quite well on LHR and LGW routes. But with the slot restrictions on LHR. It's hard to see B6 can go beyond 2 daily(1 for JFK and 1 for BOS). Is that a good strategy for B6 to fly A321LR to LHR in the long term? I think JFK-LHR can easily filled with a 787 or A350 and all the airlines are utilise the LHR slots with larger aircrafts.

Where is the financial data to support “doing quiet well”. All carriers at LHR and Europe in general have had full flights this summer. The yield on the fares are the key and Blue Spirit both lost significant amounts of money in the last quarter when all the other carriers made a profit. Their financial obligations with the merger are going to be a big anchor to their future. Adding a fleet type in the middle of a merger to an airport (LHR) that is one of the highest cost airports to operate is also not helpful.

mcdu

Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:52 am

DLHAM wrote:
Flying a too small plane means a lot of profit can be made. Its like Continental and United flying the 757 to HAM for years. The aircraft was too small for the demand, but no need to upgrade because of no competiton (most times) and only few to no seats had to be sold at Junk fares. (Of course Widebody shortage also played a role!).
So better have an airplane too small and selling every seat at a great price than having an airplane too big and having to sell seats at low fares to fill them. Less risk and especially much lower operating cost A321 vs 787/330neo.

Except this is not HAM to EWR. This is LHR JFK a high capacity route. The other carriers can offer discounts and higher FF base benefits than Blue Spirit. Does anyone want to fly Blue to JFK and connect on a Spirit plane to MCO? There will be situations such as this until they get way down range from the merger once it begins.

dmanonice

Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:27 pm

I think that before WB orders are considered I would like to see mint/premium cabins available on the connecting flights within the US off and to these services be available. It's one thing to originate in NYC in Mint, but to fly up from Miami for example in Economy then switch to mint for the long haul or worse the other way around will discourage a larger portion of the FF traffic that would book the premium cabin. The WB will come when slots become a problem again either in the US or Europe. There will come a time in the next decade I am sure where LHR and AMS will be out of slots and in order to get best values on the run you will need the bigger planes. So it's a strong possibility that in 2-3 years we see an order for WB a/c.

Max Q

Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:53 am

I believe this merger if approved will be a total disaster for Jet Blue

Taking on billions in debt to acquire a ULCC and attempt to convert it to their business model is not going to work

Why would customers want to pay significantly more for a full service carrier they didn’t want ?

Not going to happen

jetwet1

Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Vicenza wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

But that would not then be a wet lease though.

Let this be a lesson, do not post before coffee.

jplatts

Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:09 am

Max Q wrote:
Why would customers want to pay significantly more for a full service carrier they didn’t want ?

Some of the passengers who have previously flown on NK would be willing to fly nonstop on a legacy carrier such as AA/DL/UA instead of NK on routes that have lost NK nonstop service but are still served nonstop by a legacy carrier.

As an example, NK served AUS nonstop from DTW prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, but completely dropped DTW-AUS nonstop service. Some of the travelers who would have previously flown to AUS from DTW on NK would be willing to fly to AUS from DTW on DL, which still has nonstop service to AUS from DTW (even if the fares that DL is charging is higher than what NK was charging for AUS-DTW nonstop service).