Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TWA772LR
Topic Author

Thought: Someone Buys Out Boom?

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:05 am

Scrolling through a news article on Boom made me think that their latest design of their Overture aircraft looks like the Lockheed proposal for a US-made supersonic aircraft in the 60s/70s, the L2000.

This kind of got me wondering. Boom is way too small of a company to adequately compete with Boeing and Airbus. Both of those companies have the deep pockets and global support networks in place to snuff out Boom, or support the product. Lockheed as well.

Before anyone goes and says that a grassroots program can survive with persistence, aerospace is a whole different animal. Boeing survived because it has its roots in the infancy of powered flight, and Airbus is the product of the amalgamation of nationalized aerospace manufacturers. And LockMart has probably the deepest pockets of any aerospace company on the planet.

Should Boom actually succeed in making an airliner, what is still their ultimate goal, besides making another SST but with a glass cockpit? I believe they've mentioned eventually making a quiet/boomless SST, but I'd imagine no true startup can actually afford that. This idea makes me believe that Boom is actually a company willing to make a good product, but their business ambitions is to be brought out by one of the big boys to truly have that goal realized of widespread SST travel, in the form of organizations that can actually support the aircraft once in service.

Thoughts?

Aesma

Re: Thought: Someone Buys Out Boom?

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:50 am

Yes that start-up (and the others doing similar things) have been conceived from day one to be bought out, either by an existing aircraft manufacturer, or by someone with very deep pockets to actually fund the project (Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet...).

Airbus will not even consider it, as it's an environmental nightmare and a PR disaster.

davidjohnson6

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:39 pm

What's the chances that Boeing buys Boom, just to have a look at the technology they came up with... and then shuts it down ? Wouldn't be the first time...

zeke

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:44 pm

If its bought out, will that call it bang or pop ?

PvdE

Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:47 pm

Aesma wrote:
Airbus will not even consider it, as it's an environmental nightmare and a PR disaster.

Indeed, as out-of-place in an era of climate crisis as space tourism.

scbriml

Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:52 pm

PvdE wrote:
Aesma wrote:

No, no, it's all fine as long as it's only the super-rich elites who get to go from A to B in half the time. :sarcastic:

Metchalus

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:06 pm

Boeing needs to finish getting its own house in order before it can think about acquiring other companies.

Airbus is being environmentally friendly with its Blade an Zeroe programmes. An SST would be the antithesis of this.

If Lockheed is to make a triumphant return to the commercial aircraft market which I believe to be quite plausible, they likely wouldn't do it by acquiring Boom.

Whilst Lockheed has plenty of F-35 money if they wanted to spend it on an SST they'd be better of building their own.

SurlyBonds

Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:51 pm

Aesma wrote:

If Boom were a "PR disaster," United and JAL would not be trumpeting Overture pre-orders at the top of their lungs.

ReverseFlow

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:23 pm

Who are actually the major shareholders of Boom?
Perhaps they might buy all the others out?

I guess it's a gamble like Tesla was when it started out. It could go places or not (pun intended).

rjsampson

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:09 pm

I'm sure Boom means well, but It's all vaporware. Especially given the entire redesign (I guess the one they've been showing us for years turned out to not be feasible). When (not if) they eventually go the way of Aerion, their IP and assets will be worthless and won't find a buyer. Bankruptcy, a product that very few want, has no chance and turning a profit... not gonna happen. To Surly's point, Boom is nothing more than a PR success (but a product development disaster).

But let's go with OP's hypothetical, in that they succeed to built a working prototype to the actual specifications they're (currently) promising, and need to find a buyer.

There's only one company I can think of with the money, and no need to project themselves as "responsible" (after all, most of their income comes from weapons of war) would be General Dynamics, as they own Gulfstream Aerospace.

SurlyBonds

Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 pm

rjsampson wrote:
I'm sure Boom means well, but It's all vaporware.

....Vaporware that AA ordered today, as well.

rjsampson

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:40 pm

SurlyBonds wrote:
rjsampson wrote:
I'm sure Boom means well, but It's all vaporware.

....Vaporware that AA ordered today, as well.

AA has not purchased this non-existent product. For AA, it's cheap publicity. Boom doesn't even have an engine, and its prospects just got worse.

The most scathing reality-check on Boom is courtesy of Rolls Royce, Boom's only engine partner. From an article and interview with Rolls' CEO, just a couple weeks ago:

Rolls-Royce has been working with Boom to design a conceptual engine for its Mach 1.7 airliner. However, with its studies now complete, Roll's CEO said he wouldn't commit a business relationship where the engine maker would fund development of supersonic propulsion.

"We're not making anything speculative for anybody," said East. ...As part of a wide-ranging on-the-record interview... Roll's Chief executive said "No" when asked if the company currently has a development team designing an engine for Boom's Overture airliner.

Rolls did little more that study Boom's concept and upon completion of said study, basically said, "no thanks. Get the $billions for R&D for yourself." On the record, the CEO further said "[b]We're not spending our dollars on new engine developments. Our new engine developments are around our business jet engines and our UltraFan. That's it"

OUCH. If that doesn't scream "vaporware", I don't know what else does. RR already got its publicity. UA, AA, and Netjets are now getting theirs. This vaporware aircraft will never be built, especially with Rolls backing out. No engine, no $billions or know-how to develop said engine, no prototype. (Certification? Ha).

ReverseFlow wrote:
Who are actually the major shareholders of Boom?
Perhaps they might buy all the others out?

The primary shareholder and person leading the speculative investments into Boom is a Silicon Valley Venture Capitalist (with NO experience in aviation) named Michael Marks of WRVI Capital (renamed Celesta Capital).

Is anyone here familiar with the story of Theranos?

ReverseFlow

Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:39 pm

I guess Cargolifter is another story that Boom would want to avoid emulating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CargoLifter

And the best options for an investment company is
a) Sell at a profit
b) Keep the company and reap profits

My guess is a) here.

SoCalPilot

Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:17 pm

scbriml wrote:
PvdE wrote:
Aesma wrote:

No, no, it's all fine as long as it's only the super-rich elites who get to go from A to B in half the time. :sarcastic:

If you can afford to fly then you are super-rich compared to a majority of people in the world.