Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

US Airline Clubs in odd outposts

Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:04 pm

I am always grateful when an airline has a club in a non hub or non focus city. There are often other factors (competition, high end travelers or high tier FF members, former hub). But sometimes, well, it is just odd.

CLubs that come to mind:

Orange County has both AA and UA clubs.

DFW has a UA club.

ANC has a (pop up) DL lounge.

PHX and IND DL Clubs.

Historically, I was amazed that TW maintained clubs in SAN. PBI, CMH, and ABQ for so long.

bfitzflyer

Re: US Airline Clubs in odd outposts

Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:42 pm

DL has a club in Jacksonville, seems odd given the size of the station. IND club for DL doesn't surprise me have pre pandemic had a pretty good size operation there including CDG or AMS at one point.

TWA772LR

Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:05 am

For SNA, I believe AAs is former Air Cal or even TW. UAs has been there since the dawn of time. Both carriers have large customer bases in the LA basin and SNA is a high yielding airport and the only option for air travel between SAN and LAX.

For UA in DFW, CO was a large tenant in DFW for a long time, DAL too, with shuttle service from both airports to IAH. Houston-Dallas is such a large market that I remember seeing on a.net someone asking why AA didn't have a club in IAH a while back. CO even did their training flights for the crews on the 777 to DFW when they first got them.

PHX is a huge city with huge local demand, I'd imagine that's why DL is there. For IND, DL did actually start flights to CDG so the club maybe contractual or at least a cherry on top. And TW did run what could be considered a focus city in ABQ for a long time, they even saw L1011 and 767 service well in to the 90s IINM.

dfw88

Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:20 am

TWA772LR wrote:
Houston-Dallas is such a large market that I remember seeing on a.net someone asking why AA didn't have a club in IAH a while back.

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying here (since you're reporting someone else's question) but AA does have a club in IAH.

I don't think that any off AA's current club locations are particularly odd, though they did recently (within the past few years) close clubs in GSO and BDL (as well as CCS, but that one actually made sense).

DL_Mech

Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:22 am

A comprehensive list in this thread (1987):

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1431093

bluecrew

Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:01 am

zrs70 wrote:
Historically, I was amazed that TW maintained clubs in SAN. PBI, CMH, and ABQ for so long.

They also had one in BOS until the very end, even when the only flights were STL and JFK. I believe it is still office space for JetBlue.

DEN has an Admiral's Club, I imagine that would have been L-AA, they serve it in a normal capacity for a city that size, but seems out of place. Frontier should turn it into a shopping mall or fee maze.
Edit: confirmed L-AA from the link above, DL at YYC and EA at GSO seem the most odd. I imagine many of these have some 1970s era story behind the thinking.
Last edited by bluecrew on Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

TWA772LR

Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:06 am

dfw88 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
Houston-Dallas is such a large market that I remember seeing on a.net someone asking why AA didn't have a club in IAH a while back.

I may be misinterpreting what you're saying here (since you're reporting someone else's question) but AA does have a club in IAH.

I don't think that any off AA's current club locations are particularly odd, though they did recently (within the past few years) close clubs in GSO and BDL (as well as CCS, but that one actually made sense).

No worries. I remember reading here that AA was looking at putting one (back) in to IAH, I just wasn't sure if they did it yet.

maps4ltd

Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:11 am

Greensboro and Caracas seemed like really weird places for Admirals Clubs, and they only went away four years ago.

PI4EVR

Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:35 pm

I'm not sure these cities and club locations would be considered "outposts." I had visions of Alaska and Canada and the tundra of obscure hamlets.
Most of these locations are thriving business centers for airlines and their large frequent flyer base of fliers. JAX has a huge DL SkyMiles client base as does TPA. AA as well in both cities.
GSO was originally a Piedmont Club that remained after the US merger and was closed as the AA merger came into the picture and declining business travel.
PHL has a DL club that is a bit on the small size, but very popular and busy most days of the week.
So now even with the downturn in business travel due to Covid-related issues, airline club locations remain popular, busy and in demand to get away from the hustle and hordes of people and to get personal business done.
I flew AA to London in May and rode Y+ so no lounge access, but I purchased a day pass in my originating city that has a club, and spent 3+hours in MIA in the lounge enjoying food, drink and private time in a quiet corner looking at airplanes. A nice way to start a long day and trip.

AAPilot48Heavy

Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:46 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
dfw88 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

No worries. I remember reading here that AA was looking at putting one (back) in to IAH, I just wasn't sure if they did it yet.

Interesting. Not sure when you read that, but they’ve had one there for many, many years (as long as I can remember).

Kevinflyer

Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:56 pm

zrs70 wrote:
I am always grateful when an airline has a club in a non hub or non focus city. There are often other factors (competition, high end travelers or high tier FF members, former hub). But sometimes, well, it is just odd.

CLubs that come to mind:

DFW has a UA club.

PHX and IND DL Clubs.

AMEX is building a co-branded lounge at CMH. Even though it’s a small airport I’m actually surprised AA doesn’t consider an Admiral's Club, considering Columbus John Glenn seems to have a sizable AA presence and many corporate travelers.

mesasurf

Tue Sep 20, 2022 2:07 am

zrs70 wrote:

CLubs that come to mind:

DFW has a UA club.

PHX and IND DL Clubs.

DL has a Sky Club in SLC. As well as PDX, I believe.

DTWLAX

Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:05 am

mesasurf wrote:

Why is this odd?
Of course DL will have a Sky Club at SLC because it is a DL hub.
And PDX is not odd either since DL has a decent sized operation at PDX with flights to Europe.

IADCA

Tue Sep 20, 2022 12:28 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
mesasurf wrote:

Why is this odd?
And PDX is not odd either since DL has a decent sized operation at PDX with flights to Europe.

Yeah, the UA lounge at PDX seems like more of an oddball to me.

ua900

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:18 pm

IADCA wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:
mesasurf wrote:

Why is this odd?

Competitive reasons. If you think that PDX is odd you might want to add AUS, SAT and RDU to that list, similar position.

IADCA

Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:38 pm

ua900 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
DTWLAX wrote:
Why is this odd?

Competitive reasons. If you think that PDX is odd you might want to add AUS, SAT and RDU to that list, similar position.

"Competitive reasons" is pretty much a non-answer. It's a competitive industry. Everything is done for competitive reasons.

RDU and PDX seem odder in UA's network for lounges than AUS and SAT, which are both large outstations for the IAH hub. I'm sure there are reasons for all of them, but the UA operation at PDX just serves hubs, doesn't even serve all of them in the continental US, and (anecdotally) seems much more lightly used than most of their other lounges. I'm hardly complaining it exists - quite the contrary - but it does seem like kind of a weird one. I assume they're basically protecting premium traffic on SFO, ORD, and transocean connections over those two hubs, but that could be said about a lot of outstations.

Aeroflot001

Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 pm

maps4ltd wrote:
Greensboro and Caracas seemed like really weird places for Admirals Clubs, and they only went away four years ago.

AA had a sizeable operation at CCS prior to the deterioration of the Venezuelan economy and even had an intersting SJU-CCS flight for many years in addition to the usual destinations like MIA, JFK etc.
I'm a bit surprised it even held on until 2018, things in CCS were already very bad by then.

Found an old trip AA CCS-MIA J trip report with pics of the lounge.
https://www.viajeromillero.com/2014/05/ ... ia-con-aa/

ArcticFlyer

Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:29 am

AS has a lounge in JFK despite it being pretty much an outstation. My guess is they are trying to attract premium travelers to the west coast.

IADCA

Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:07 am

ArcticFlyer wrote:
AS has a lounge in JFK despite it being pretty much an outstation. My guess is they are trying to attract premium travelers to the west coast.

Also serves people connecting off oneworld codeshares on transatlantic and South America flights (at least while those last).

departedflights

Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:16 pm

dfw88 wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

This is pure speculation.... but was the Admiral's Club in Greensboro the former Piedmont Presidential Suite/USAir Club that would have been inherited through a series of mergers?

Greensboro was a decent-sized operation for Piedmont with service to Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas/Fort Worth, Fayetteville, Louisville, Lynchburg, Newark, New York LaGuardia, Philadelphia, Raleigh/Durham, Richmond, Roanoke, Tampa, Washington National and Wilmington in the 1980s.

pdxplanes837362

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 pm

IADCA wrote:
ua900 wrote:
IADCA wrote:

"Competitive reasons" is pretty much a non-answer. It's a competitive industry. Everything is done for competitive reasons.

RDU and PDX seem odder in UA's network for lounges than AUS and SAT, which are both large outstations for the IAH hub. I'm sure there are reasons for all of them, but the UA operation at PDX just serves hubs, doesn't even serve all of them in the continental US, and (anecdotally) seems much more lightly used than most of their other lounges. I'm hardly complaining it exists - quite the contrary - but it does seem like kind of a weird one. I assume they're basically protecting premium traffic on SFO, ORD, and transocean connections over those two hubs, but that could be said about a lot of outstations.

I have never been to the PDX UA lounge just the DL so I am not sure if it has been renovated much. I know way back at one time UA had service to HNL and used PDX as a weekly stopover to NRT from east coast hubs.

Anyone visited the lounge? It would be hard to believe they could justify renovating this lounge when they serve very few routes from PDX.

IADCA

Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:21 am

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
IADCA wrote:
ua900 wrote:

I have never been to the PDX UA lounge just the DL so I am not sure if it has been renovated much. I know way back at one time UA had service to HNL and used PDX as a weekly stopover to NRT from east coast hubs.

Anyone visited the lounge? It would be hard to believe they could justify renovating this lounge when they serve very few routes from PDX.

I've been in it numerous times, as my post above heavily implies. It's not like it's a Polaris lounge, but it's up to the same standards as the regular lounges at the hubs (except for being much smaller and markedly less crowded).

The clientele was the same sportcoat-and-slacks 50-ish shaved apes that you see in all the other places and the ones at PDX made the same faces they always do when someone who isn't them walks in. I'm sure they felt much more comfortable there than anywhere else in Portland while staying safe from normal people prior to their flights to Houston or Chicago.

dfwjim1

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:40 pm

Delta has a lounge at FLL and I believe UA has one too or is going to have one in the near future.

zrs70
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:09 pm

[list=][/list]
dfwjim1 wrote:
Delta has a lounge at FLL and I believe UA has one too or is going to have one in the near future.

DL has had a lounge in FLL for a very long time!

dfwjim1

Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:58 pm

bluecrew wrote:
zrs70 wrote:

They also had one in BOS until the very end, even when the only flights were STL and JFK. I believe it is still office space for JetBlue.

DEN has an Admiral's Club, I imagine that would have been L-AA, they serve it in a normal capacity for a city that size, but seems out of place. Frontier should turn it into a shopping mall or fee maze.
Edit: confirmed L-AA from the link above, DL at YYC and EA at GSO seem the most odd. I imagine many of these have some 1970s era story behind the thinking.

I used the AA club at Denver a couple of years and it was a nice one though probably the smallest one I have used. Also, this location did not have any windows looking out at the airport.

Brickell305

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:23 pm

zrs70 wrote:
[list=][/list]
dfwjim1 wrote:

The lounge was also recently refurbished and is very nice. FLL is a sizable spoke in their network so nothing odd about them having a lounge there.

Brickell305

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:27 pm

I don’t view DFW as an odd place for a UA lounge or IAH as an odd place for an AA lounge. I also don’t see CCS as an odd place for an AA lounge as CCS used to be an important station for them and they were the premium carrier in that market. They’d have been the most likely to get the upper income clientele.

If you told me there was an AA lounge in Grand Junction, Colorado, I’d see that as odd but most of these are lounges in major metro areas that would make sense for an airline to have a lounge.

dfwjim1

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:40 pm

As a side note, there is an American Express lounge being built in Terminal 3 at FLL near the north TSA screening area.

bhxdtw

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:40 pm

Ive always wondered why AA doesn't have a lounge at DTW. Usually 24 flights per day to every *hub* except LAX .... strikes me as a reasonable place to add one

vegasplanes

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:53 pm

bhxdtw wrote:
Ive always wondered why AA doesn't have a lounge at DTW. Usually 24 flights per day to every *hub* except LAX .... strikes me as a reasonable place to add one

AA did have an Admirals Club in the old L.C. Smith terminal, IIRC, it was between the B and C concourses before security near the bar. Seems like they didn't add one in the North Terminal, may have been due to their financial difficulties at the time. Surely AA does not have the business market in the DTW area post-deregulation as they did pre-deregulation, most frequent flyers in the area are NW/DL loyal.

flymia

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:48 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
zrs70 wrote:
[list=][/list]
dfwjim1 wrote:

The lounge was also recently refurbished and is very nice. FLL is a sizable spoke in their network so nothing odd about them having a lounge there.

They also have one in MIA, another sizeable spoke with future growth coming. Delta has always been pretty big in South Florida, even if not to a ton of destinations MIA/FLL-ATL and MIA/FLL-NYC are two of the biggest markets in the U.S. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s Delta had a bit of a small spoke in FLL too. Served more destinations back then, and focused more on FLL than MIA.

Brickell305

Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:48 pm

flymia wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
zrs70 wrote:
[list=][/list]

They also have one in MIA, another sizeable spoke with future growth coming. Delta has always been pretty big in South Florida, even if not to a ton of destinations MIA/FLL-ATL and MIA/FLL-NYC are two of the biggest markets in the U.S. Back in the 1990s and early 2000s Delta had a bit of a small spoke in FLL too. Served more destinations back then, and focused more on FLL than MIA.

I think DL has lounges in most major Florida cities they serve. The amount of flights between Florida stations and ATL alone should justify it. Add the other hub flights and it’s a no-brainer.

jplatts

Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm

Non-AA hub airports with AA Admirals Club lounges:
ATL, AUS, BOS, DEN, HNL, IAH, BNA, EWR, SNA, MCO, PIT, RDU, SFO, STL, TPA

Non-DL hub airports with Delta Sky Club lounges:
AUS, ORD, CVG, DFW, DEN, FLL, HNL, IND, JAX, MEM, MIA, MKE, BNA, MSY, EWR, MCO, PHL, PHX, PDX, RDU, SAN, SFO, TPA, DCA, PBI

Non-UA hub airports with United Club lounges:
ATL, AUS, BOS, CLE, DFW, FLL, HNL, LAS, MSP, MSY, LGA, SNA, MCO, PHL, PHX, RDU, SAT, SAN, SEA, DCA

zrs70
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:34 am

jplatts wrote:

AUS, ORD, CVG, DFW, DEN, FLL, HNL, IND, JAX, MEM, MIA, MKE, BNA, MSY, EWR, MCO, PHL, PHX, PDX, RDU, SAN, SFO, TPA, DCA, PBI

ATL, AUS, BOS, CLE, DFW, FLL, HNL, LAS, MSP, MSY, LGA, SNA, MCO, PHL, PHX, RDU, SAT, SAN, SEA, DCA

Add SNA to both UA and AA.

zrs70
Topic Author

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:36 am

jplatts wrote:

Deleted.

727tiger

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:45 pm

jplatts wrote:

In March, you can add MCI to this list. Personally, can't wait for this new SkyClub.

dfwjim1

Sat Oct 08, 2022 8:03 pm

jplatts wrote:

Interesting...didn't know that DL had a lounge at PBI.

Aceskywalker

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:54 pm

jplatts wrote:

Add HND to DL as well.