Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

What happens if Korean Air left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:08 pm

So I'm wondering if Korean Air joined Star Alliance and left Skyteam. I want United Airlines to codeshare with Korean Air and Delta keeps its codeshare. Continental Airlines left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance in 2009. If this change happens there would be 3 founding airlines of Skyteam alliance.

davidjohnson6

Re: What happens if Korean Air left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 pm

Star already has major airlines in both China and Japan. If Korean left Skyteam and joined Star, you would see Skyteam's relevance on trans Pacific routes rapidly collapse, and Star would gain monopoly-like dominance on any USA-Korea routes. The result would be much higher fares, and any FF benefits on USA-Korea would rapidly get worse. United stockholders would be happy but pax would get a lousy deal

ACDC8

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:07 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
Continental Airlines left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance in 2009.

Continental's move into Star had more to do with impending merger with United than anything else.

AirKevin

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:20 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
I want United Airlines to codeshare with Korean Air and Delta keeps its codeshare. Continental Airlines left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance in 2009. If this change happens there would be 3 founding airlines of Skyteam alliance.

Again, airlines don't do things based on what people on this forum want. In any event, if United and Korean Air decided the codeshare was worth it, they probably could have done it, regardless of whether Korean Air was in Star Alliance or not. As it stands right now, Asiana is in Star Alliance as far as I'm aware. As for Continental, they may have joined Star Alliance in 2009, but they weren't going to be around for much longer, as they merged with United, who was already in Star Alliance.

bfitzflyer

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:42 pm

Highly unlikely given DL has a stake in Korean, but stranger things have happened.

Fuling

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:52 am

It makes no sense commercially. And what's wrong with Asiana? It's already pretty similar to Korean Air in most areas of the business, and it is already in Star Alliance (for now at least). Imagine if both OZ and KE were in Star Alliance. Yikes!

Btw, I want Qantas in Star Alliance as well, but that doesn't mean it will happen.
Last edited by Fuling on Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

phatfarmlines

Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:04 am

0hAerqplane wrote:
So I'm wondering if Korean Air joined Star Alliance and left Skyteam. I want United Airlines to codeshare with Korean Air and Delta keeps its codeshare. Continental Airlines left Skyteam and joined Star Alliance in 2009. If this change happens there would be 3 founding airlines of Skyteam alliance.

In your scenario, KE will have to contend with NH for UA connecting traffic. Geographically, DL+KE (post-OZ merger) puts SkyTeam in a formidable position to compete versus AA+JL and UA+NH for those flows of traffic.

0hAerqplane
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:16 pm

Fuling wrote:
It makes no sense commercially. And what's wrong with Asiana? It's already pretty similar to Korean Air in most areas of the business, and it is already in Star Alliance (for now at least). Imagine if both OZ and KE were in Star Alliance. Yikes!

Btw, I want Qantas in Star Alliance as well, but that doesn't mean it will happen.
Asiana is merging with Korean Air in 2024, but will leave Star Alliance

Fuling

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:59 pm

0hAerqplane wrote:
Fuling wrote:

Asiana is merging with Korean Air in 2024, but will leave Star Alliance

Yes, which is why I said 'for now at least'. So you think, with the merger, Korean Air should switch to Star Alliance? Genuinely how is that a smart idea? Please explain why that would make commercial sense.

davidjohnson6

Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 am

Doesn't make commercial sense, either for Korean or passengers. It makes sense only in the world of a.net