Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

piedmontf284000
Topic Author

J.D. Power’s 2022 North America Airport Satisfaction Study

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 am

J.D. Power’s released its customer satisfaction results for 2022. A lot of the same from last year.

For mega airports, MSP took home the honors while EWR rounded out the rear.

For large airports TPA was at the top while PHL was at the bottom.

For medium size airports, Indianapolis once again claimed top honors for the fourth time in five years. Burbank was dead last.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press- ... tion-study

DFW17L

Re: J.D. Power’s 2022 North America Airport Satisfaction Study

Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:20 am

Thanks for posting the J.D. Power airport surveys for 2022.

<pedantic> And please people, let’s get this straight from the beginning, there’s no ‘s’ after Power. </pedantic> :roll:

SANMSP

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:17 am

A nice surprise to see my native home airport take the top spot amongst the mega airports. Long walks for connections sometimes draw criticism, and the E and F concourses are pretty cramped IMO. On the other hand, things are improving by the year with ongoing remodeling of the G gates (the finished ones look fantastic) and a recently remodeled baggage claim and check-in area. And I don't think the planned improvements are stopping there. I like SFO and DTW a little bit more, but I wouldn't put MSP below any of the other "mega" airports.

As for SAN, where I live now...I wonder how much T1 dragged down its ranking :lol: If the rating was based only on T2 West, it'd have finished near the top of the large airport list; T1 alone would probably be dead last.

mesasurf

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:34 am

BWI, SLC, and IAD should not be part of the Large airports but listed under Mega airports. They have more in common and similar passengers numbers to BOS, FLL, etc., than to airports such as STL, SAT, etc.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:38 am

SANMSP wrote:
As for SAN, where I live now...I wonder how much T1 dragged down its ranking :lol: If the rating was based only on T2 West, it'd have finished near the top of the large airport list; T1 alone would probably be dead last.

That was exactly my first thought as well! It still makes me laugh to know that Southwest was given first chance at T2 West and turned it down, opting "to be closer to the departure end of the runway", and and until T1 is rebuilt (at least the eastern portion), they're stuck in the banjos, splitting operations behind security. That's on them, and if they want to transfer passengers here, they have to live with that.

frmrCapCadet

Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:36 pm

Looking at the mega-s, out of 1000 maximum points, they are from 719-800, not much of a spread. Or is the scoring such that it is?

exFWAOONW

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:05 pm

No love for the smaller airports?
What is the determinate between large and medium?

floridaflyboy

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:10 pm

Having lived in Indianapolis for a decade and worked at IND for about half of that, I am so glad to see IND on top yet again in their category. IND is a great airport with great people and it's nice to see the recognition. I miss that airport.

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:20 pm

DTW>MSP for me. Much easier airport to navigate. The A to F connect at MSP is a trek, even with the sky bridge. Long felt that the McNamara side of DTW is the best terminal complex in the U.S. and DTW’s airport configuration itself is very simple and smooth.

Joshu

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:37 pm

BWI could be so much higher on this list if they just got the baggage issue solved. It is incredibly slow and has a very old infrastructure.

lightsaber

Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:00 pm

LAX should improve with the DL T3 upgrade. Otherwise, I pretty much agree with the order. I was surprised how Much JFK has improved. OK, I would drop Orlando a bit, it is getting very crowded.

SANMSP

Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:24 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
SANMSP wrote:

That was exactly my first thought as well! It still makes me laugh to know that Southwest was given first chance at T2 West and turned it down, opting "to be closer to the departure end of the runway", and and until T1 is rebuilt (at least the eastern portion), they're stuck in the banjos, splitting operations behind security. That's on them, and if they want to transfer passengers here, they have to live with that.

Unbelievable. I don't know much about WN's operations at SAN and how many connections they do there, but it seems like they have by far the most destinations and are relied upon for a lot of "intra-California" travel. Stands to reason they should have the more convenient facility for pax. Hope the taxi savings of about 2,000 feet is worth it to them. One would think there's an advantage during the 6:15 AM departure rush, but it's a wash for the rest of the day.

Either way, I'm counting my blessings as I have a beer at Stone before heading to MSP.

PHLspecial

Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:40 am

It's depressing to see PHL score so low every single year. I don't see that changing at time soon. I don't think the airport experience is terrible but compared to other airports it's not even close

Chemist

Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:41 pm

BUR at the bottom of its category is ridiculous. Do we know if this survey is of actual passengers versus just analyzing a list of amenities? BUR is excellent precisely because unlike LAS, you can park long term for $13/day, TSA is super fast, you can board from front and rear of the aircraft. Not because they have elegant shops or fancy lounges or stuff like that.

dfwjim1

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:33 am

Surprised a bit that Fort Lauderdale is considered a mega airport.

B6JFKH81

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:35 am

Yay for TPA (my home airport). Always such an easy experience!!! With their addition of Express Curbside on the blue side, even better!!

bfitzflyer

Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:43 pm

TPA is great unless you have to take the train out to the rental car facility. Was way better before that.

TexasAirCorp

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:30 pm

How on earth is MCO sixth?

PITingres

Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:51 am

These ratings are always fun to read. I find myself wondering whether SNA is the same airport I used to fly into 16 years ago, and who sprinkled fairy dust over MSY to make it nice. OTOH, PHL is exactly where I expected it to be... :-)

SANMSP

Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:31 pm

PITingres wrote:
These ratings are always fun to read. I find myself wondering whether SNA is the same airport I used to fly into 16 years ago, and who sprinkled fairy dust over MSY to make it nice. OTOH, PHL is exactly where I expected it to be... :-)

The "fairy dust" used at MSY was actually a new terminal that opened in late 2019.