Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:20 pm

Just curious...

My dad witnessed two: The 1960 TWA and United collision in New York City, and a Dorado Wings crash off SJU in 1981. My mom also witnessed the Dorado Wings one.

The former, well you all know it wasn't, mildly put, that good. The latter, thank God no one died.

Oh and my aunt witnessed the United WTC crash on 9/11..she was a teacher in New Jersey in a town near the state border with NY and her class was out on her school's roof looking at the fire when the second plane came.

I've had a few close calls, like in 1982ish when I saw two DC-10, one of Capitol Air and another one of American., almost collide in Puerto Rico and then in 1992ish here in Phoenix when I saw an America West 737 and a Delta 727 too close to each other for my own comfort. But I have been lucky not to witness anything like that.

You???
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:03 pm

Does being in one count?
 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Does being in one count?

Absolutely!
 
ACDC8
Posts: 8994
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:56 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Although I didn't actually see the aircraft itself go down, but this one:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19950819-1

My dad and I just got to the little park at the end of the threshold 26 at YVR to do some spotting, we saw a plume of smoke coming from the other end of the airport but didn't really think much of it until someone else pulled up and asked if we saw the plane crash. Of course, that was long before the days of instant news on social media, so one had to be pretty patient and listen to the car radio for any news.

Also saw the wreckage of BA38 at LHR when I was arriving from YVR and was also on my way to DUS for some spotting back in 96 when the fire broke out.
 
User avatar
Boeing757100
Posts: 1405
Joined: Wed May 06, 2020 10:09 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 pm

I didn't witness a crash in person, but in a summer camp I went to for Embry Riddle, we got to witness the wreckage of several GA crashes that have occurred. Was a very surreal experience.
 
tmu101
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:04 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:06 am

My uncle told me that one of his close friends witnessed the Aeromexico flight 498 collision and subsequent crash. I also had an acquaintance who worked in some capacity for DFW airport (can't recall his job title I'm afraid) who witnessed Delta 191.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 am

I did see the EA Connie come out of the overcast from Ward Pound Ridge Reservation after it’s mid-air with a TW B707. I was on a Boy Scout camp out and we noted something was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Carm ... _collision
 
T54A
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:56 am

Three: One Extra doing a low level show, an Longeze showing off and hitting the sea, and the P51 Skyraider collision at Duxford.
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 8327
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:28 pm

I know a few people that witnessed 9/11 and my dad knew a guy who died in the Alaska MD80 crash, and I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

But myself, I used to have a recurring dream that is watch a 777 stall out of the sky, almost recover, but still crash into houses in my childhood neighborhood. I hope that never happens.
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:49 pm

A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:33 pm

F/A-18 crash at the El Toro MCAS air show, about 1987 or 1988.
 
IADCA
Posts: 2726
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:24 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:49 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Just curious...

My dad witnessed two: The 1960 TWA and United collision in New York City, and a Dorado Wings crash off SJU in 1981. My mom also witnessed the Dorado Wings one.

The former, well you all know it wasn't, mildly put, that good. The latter, thank God no one died.

Oh and my aunt witnessed the United WTC crash on 9/11..she was a teacher in New Jersey in a town near the state border with NY and her class was out on her school's roof looking at the fire when the second plane came.

I've had a few close calls, like in 1982ish when I saw two DC-10, one of Capitol Air and another one of American., almost collide in Puerto Rico and then in 1992ish here in Phoenix when I saw an America West 737 and a Delta 727 too close to each other for my own comfort. But I have been lucky not to witness anything like that.

You???


Wow, can you please post the locations of you and your close family members at all times so anyone without a death wish can avoid the area?

I've never seen anything I'd even call a close call. Closest was a rejected takeoff some years back on a US flight. I remember knowing exactly why the takeoff was rejected, too: the plane landing on the intersecting runway was rather closer to my window seat than I was in any way comfortable with, but in reality it was still probably at least a mile away of that runway plus maybe 2,000 feet on ours to the intersection.
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4513
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:29 am

I witnessed this one:


(no, not my picture)

I was standing standing rather at the Western end of the runway and one of the jets crashed onto the runway in front of me (but of course in a certain distance = distance between where the audience was allowed to go up to the runway, maybe 200 meters or so..)
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4513
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:37 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Image
Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:32 pm

N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Image
Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm



I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Image
Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm



I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.
My search for ETAF gives me Getafe (LEGT) for some reason.
Where is ETAF?
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 4513
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Image
Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm



I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.

Well, „quite often“ was a little bit nasty from me.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:15 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Image
Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm



I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.
My search for ETAF gives me Getafe (LEGT) for some reason.
Where is ETAF?


Rhein-Main AB, Frankfurt. All German military fields are ETxx.
 
Kno
Posts: 785
Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:08 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 pm

At the Oshkosh air show as a kid - pretty sure crashes happen almost every year there
 
slcguy
Posts: 471
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:09 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:36 am

Not counting numerous minor accidents and incidents in my career at an airport only two real crashes, Both airshow related, KSAF in 1973 maybe 1974. Bellanca Decathlon performing an outside rolling right 360 turn at 300 ft. At about 270 degrees around aircraft lost altitude. Aircraft destroyed one fatal. Second was at KHIF in 1981, USAF Thunderbirds show. The diamond and had just made a pass and was expecting a solo to fly by next, soon thereafter noticed a black mushroom cloud coming up about a mile south of the field. T-38 destroyed one fatal.
 
User avatar
B747-437B
Posts: 9055
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 6:54 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:09 pm

As the Airport Manager in Mogadishu, I was one of the first responders (about 90 seconds after impact and just behind the lead fire truck) at the accident site of the Ethiopian Air Force An12 on 09AUG13. I was watching the aircraft on approach from my office in the tower and saw the aircraft veer off the runway and into the perimeter fence before cartwheeling and coming to rest.

We were very lucky that we had about 12 minutes on site before the cargo of explosives and ammunition fully ignited, during which we were able to recover 1 fatality and 2 survivors out of the 6 crew. One of the crew had been trapped under debris in the cockpit and a very brave Ugandan military firefighter was able to cut his way into the wreckage to free him. One other fatality was visible trapped in the cockpit but already deceased, and two other fatalities in the fuselage were inaccessible. Those three bodies were subsequently recovered only later in the day after the fires were eventually extinguished.

Image
Initial impact as viewed from tower.

Image
First view of wreckage at final resting site approx. 90 seconds after impact.

Image
Previously trapped FO being helped out of the wreckage. The military firefighter on the left received a medal for his actions in the rescue.

Image
Cargo of explosives/ammunition ignites.

Image
Firefighting effort still underway over an hour later - we expended all of our foam reserves (ICAO CAT 6 levels) trying to control the ammunition fire and had to borrow additional foam from the nearby seaport.

Image
Myself (center in hi-viz vest) with one of the survivors and the Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan and Somali military brass. Most of the frontline military responders received medals for their actions in the rescue and fire control efforts, and many of the civilians (including myself) received commendation citations from the various countries involved (Ethiopia and Somalia in my case).
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:51 pm

Now, that’s a story!! Congratulations and thanks to many brave responders.
 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Now, that’s a story!! Congratulations and thanks to many brave responders.

Ditto!
 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:54 pm

IADCA wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
Just curious...

My dad witnessed two: The 1960 TWA and United collision in New York City, and a Dorado Wings crash off SJU in 1981. My mom also witnessed the Dorado Wings one.

The former, well you all know it wasn't, mildly put, that good. The latter, thank God no one died.

Oh and my aunt witnessed the United WTC crash on 9/11..she was a teacher in New Jersey in a town near the state border with NY and her class was out on her school's roof looking at the fire when the second plane came.

I've had a few close calls, like in 1982ish when I saw two DC-10, one of Capitol Air and another one of American., almost collide in Puerto Rico and then in 1992ish here in Phoenix when I saw an America West 737 and a Delta 727 too close to each other for my own comfort. But I have been lucky not to witness anything like that.

You???


Wow, can you please post the locations of you and your close family members at all times so anyone without a death wish can avoid the area?

I've never seen anything I'd even call a close call. Closest was a rejected takeoff some years back on a US flight. I remember knowing exactly why the takeoff was rejected, too: the plane landing on the intersecting runway was rather closer to my window seat than I was in any way comfortable with, but in reality it was still probably at least a mile away of that runway plus maybe 2,000 feet on ours to the intersection.


The first two were in/around San Juan. Puerto Rico.

The latter was near Phoenix Sky Harbor. :)
 
MartijnNL
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:51 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I witnessed this one:


Horrific crash. I remember it well. Glad I wasn't there that day.
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 630
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:


I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.
My search for ETAF gives me Getafe (LEGT) for some reason.
Where is ETAF?


Rhein-Main AB, Frankfurt. All German military fields are ETxx.
Thanks.
Probably couldn't find it because it no longer exists!
 
bhxdtw
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:49 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!


Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?
 
bhxdtw
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:53 pm

B747-437B wrote:
As the Airport Manager in Mogadishu, I was one of the first responders (about 90 seconds after impact and just behind the lead fire truck) at the accident site of the Ethiopian Air Force An12 on 09AUG13. I was watching the aircraft on approach from my office in the tower and saw the aircraft veer off the runway and into the perimeter fence before cartwheeling and coming to rest.

We were very lucky that we had about 12 minutes on site before the cargo of explosives and ammunition fully ignited, during which we were able to recover 1 fatality and 2 survivors out of the 6 crew. One of the crew had been trapped under debris in the cockpit and a very brave Ugandan military firefighter was able to cut his way into the wreckage to free him. One other fatality was visible trapped in the cockpit but already deceased, and two other fatalities in the fuselage were inaccessible. Those three bodies were subsequently recovered only later in the day after the fires were eventually extinguished.

Image
Initial impact as viewed from tower.

Image
First view of wreckage at final resting site approx. 90 seconds after impact.

Image
Previously trapped FO being helped out of the wreckage. The military firefighter on the left received a medal for his actions in the rescue.

Image
Cargo of explosives/ammunition ignites.

Image
Firefighting effort still underway over an hour later - we expended all of our foam reserves (ICAO CAT 6 levels) trying to control the ammunition fire and had to borrow additional foam from the nearby seaport.

Image
Myself (center in hi-viz vest) with one of the survivors and the Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan and Somali military brass. Most of the frontline military responders received medals for their actions in the rescue and fire control efforts, and many of the civilians (including myself) received commendation citations from the various countries involved (Ethiopia and Somalia in my case).



Wow mate, you're the kind of guy I'd love to buy a coffee and let you tell me stories from your job. Not glorifying anything per se but I always appreciate listening and interacting with those who can share stories and history of interesting lives lived.
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:15 am

bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!


Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?


Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.
 
AntonioMartin
Topic Author
Posts: 1257
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:28 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!


Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?


Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.

Heartbreaking
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:33 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!


Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?


Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.


Looking at the video of the crash, it's almost like a carbon copy of the B-52 crash at Fairchild AFB, also involving pilot error.
 
bhxdtw
Posts: 1227
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:00 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!


Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?


Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.



Wow... that's crazy. Weren't they based on the old comet design? So sad for those involved
 
User avatar
CrewBunk
Posts: 624
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:12 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 am

bhxdtw wrote:
Wow... that's crazy. Weren't they based on the old comet design? So sad for those involved


I have always been a huge Comet fan, (I even flew on a Dan-Air Comet LGW-PMI-LGW on a one day turn in 1980, as the end of the Comet was near. A third of the passengers were doing the same). So, it wasn’t a surprise that I was out on the water that day to watch an evolution of the Comet.

You could almost squint at the Nimrod and see it’s lean Comet roots. Granted the Speys were a little quieter than the Avons. On my boat that day were five pilots and we marvelled at the Nimrod as she performed her manoeuvres. Entering into the last turn, you could see the combination of low speed and high bank angle was not good. Someone said “that’s not going to work”.

After it crashed the silence on the water was startling. I just said to one of my buddies “raise the sea anchor please”. I started the engine and head back home, not even bothering to hoist the sails. About ten minutes later, the Snowbirds flew past in the “missing man” formation. Still, no one said a word.

It was heartbreaking.
 
flymad
Posts: 110
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
Wow... that's crazy. Weren't they based on the old comet design? So sad for those involved


I have always been a huge Comet fan, (I even flew on a Dan-Air Comet LGW-PMI-LGW on a one day turn in 1980, as the end of the Comet was near. A third of the passengers were doing the same). So, it wasn’t a surprise that I was out on the water that day to watch an evolution of the Comet.

You could almost squint at the Nimrod and see it’s lean Comet roots. Granted the Speys were a little quieter than the Avons. On my boat that day were five pilots and we marvelled at the Nimrod as she performed her manoeuvres. Entering into the last turn, you could see the combination of low speed and high bank angle was not good. Someone said “that’s not going to work”.

After it crashed the silence on the water was startling. I just said to one of my buddies “raise the sea anchor please”. I started the engine and head back home, not even bothering to hoist the sails. About ten minutes later, the Snowbirds flew past in the “missing man” formation. Still, no one said a word.

It was heartbreaking.

Getting cold chills reading this!
 
CMA727
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:20 pm

I witnessed a C-97 that crashed in Mexico City in 1987 take off from MEX before it crashed. It barely lifted up.
That year I saw a Cessna 310 overfly Mexico City at very low height. I later learned it crashed on a street.
Almost at the time frame I saw an ultralight crash in a field in southern Mexico.
3 years ago at an Air Show in Santa Lucía I witnessed how a parachuter struggled to get her parachute fully opended. She was injured.
 
User avatar
DrPaul
Posts: 176
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:41 pm

The closest I've been to a crash was when the Airspeed Ambassador G-AMAD came to grief at Heathrow in 1968 https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19680703-0. I was living in Richmond, Surrey at the time, and I saw it on the approach to the then runway 28 Right. I wondered why nothing followed it in, and next morning learnt what had happened to it. Nowadays, of course, we have in-time tracking and would know immediately if something had gone wrong.
 
User avatar
TheFlyingDisk
Posts: 2633
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:43 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:12 am

Never did see a crash in real life, besides video footage reports. However I'm acquaintances with the photographer of this picture.



My cousin also witnessed the aftermath of a mid-air collision between two helicopters back in 2020, one of which was piloted by the former CEO of MH (who landed safely). The crash site was just a few hundred meters from my former home.
 
Chemist
Posts: 1119
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:46 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
F/A-18 crash at the El Toro MCAS air show, about 1987 or 1988.


This might be the one I saw as well. Did he come out of a loop too low and pancaked? I believe the guy I saw survived, but I thought it was an F-14.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 10030
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Yes, too low at the top to make around the bottom. He survived with critical injuries.
 
Aptivaboy
Posts: 1069
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:32 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:03 pm

Yep, that's the one. He apparently told the trained and cleared airshow pilot to depart, and he took over with minimal training on the routine. But, when you're a Lt. Colonel, rank has its privileges. He was doing a very low loop and just ran out of altitude. He totaled a nearly new F/A-18A but survived with disabling injuries. He was lucky to be able to walk again afterwards.
 
POWDERFINGER
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38 am

UsAir 405, March 22, 1992.

I was with some other pilots in a hotel lounge, next to La Guardia airport. We could see the runways and Flushing bay. No one was really watching, but then we heard another person say, "Hey, look at the airport. Something just happened." I turned to look, and there were flashing red lights moving toward RWY 31. It was during the evening, and misty, but we could make out a bunch of fire / rescue vehicles and people just arriving at the embankment where the Fokker-28 had flipped over and entered the waters.

Over the next months, I saw various stages of the salvage - including the day the nose section was hauled away on a flatbed truck. Some of the #1 cockpit windshield on the copilot's side was bashed in and shattered. I had wondered if it was the copilot who had struck it during the accident.

It made me really careful about getting deiced and respecting holdover times.
 
YYZSpotter1991
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 pm

I didn't see any directly, but I remember seeing the wreckage of AF358 the day after it crashed in August 2005. I was with my dad as he drove from work down the 401, and saw the right westbound lane slowing to a crawl. This was because that stretch was right in front of the ravine where the plane burst into flames, and drivers were stopping to see the site. We were in the eastbound lanes, so I could see part of the aircraft from my vantage point, but not as much as they were able to see from that overpass.

A few weeks later was an airshow in Oshawa (an hour east of Toronto), but I opted not to go (because of the rain in the forecast). Good thing I didn't, because there was a crash at that airshow.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos