Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:20 pm

Just curious...

My dad witnessed two: The 1960 TWA and United collision in New York City, and a Dorado Wings crash off SJU in 1981. My mom also witnessed the Dorado Wings one.

The former, well you all know it wasn't, mildly put, that good. The latter, thank God no one died.

Oh and my aunt witnessed the United WTC crash on 9/11..she was a teacher in New Jersey in a town near the state border with NY and her class was out on her school's roof looking at the fire when the second plane came.

I've had a few close calls, like in 1982ish when I saw two DC-10, one of Capitol Air and another one of American., almost collide in Puerto Rico and then in 1992ish here in Phoenix when I saw an America West 737 and a Delta 727 too close to each other for my own comfort. But I have been lucky not to witness anything like that.

You???

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Have you ever witnessed an airplane crash in person?

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:03 pm

Does being in one count?

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Does being in one count?

Absolutely!

ACDC8

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:11 pm

Although I didn't actually see the aircraft itself go down, but this one:

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 19950819-1

My dad and I just got to the little park at the end of the threshold 26 at YVR to do some spotting, we saw a plume of smoke coming from the other end of the airport but didn't really think much of it until someone else pulled up and asked if we saw the plane crash. Of course, that was long before the days of instant news on social media, so one had to be pretty patient and listen to the car radio for any news.

Also saw the wreckage of BA38 at LHR when I was arriving from YVR and was also on my way to DUS for some spotting back in 96 when the fire broke out.

Boeing757100

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:29 pm

I didn't witness a crash in person, but in a summer camp I went to for Embry Riddle, we got to witness the wreckage of several GA crashes that have occurred. Was a very surreal experience.

tmu101

Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:06 am

My uncle told me that one of his close friends witnessed the Aeromexico flight 498 collision and subsequent crash. I also had an acquaintance who worked in some capacity for DFW airport (can't recall his job title I'm afraid) who witnessed Delta 191.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:13 am

I did see the EA Connie come out of the overcast from Ward Pound Ridge Reservation after it’s mid-air with a TW B707. I was on a Boy Scout camp out and we noted something was wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1965_Carm ... _collision

T54A

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:56 am

Three: One Extra doing a low level show, an Longeze showing off and hitting the sea, and the P51 Skyraider collision at Duxford.

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:28 pm

I know a few people that witnessed 9/11 and my dad knew a guy who died in the Alaska MD80 crash, and I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

But myself, I used to have a recurring dream that is watch a 777 stall out of the sky, almost recover, but still crash into houses in my childhood neighborhood. I hope that never happens.

CrewBunk

Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:49 pm

A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!

Aptivaboy

Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:33 pm

F/A-18 crash at the El Toro MCAS air show, about 1987 or 1988.

IADCA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:49 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Just curious...

My dad witnessed two: The 1960 TWA and United collision in New York City, and a Dorado Wings crash off SJU in 1981. My mom also witnessed the Dorado Wings one.

The former, well you all know it wasn't, mildly put, that good. The latter, thank God no one died.

Oh and my aunt witnessed the United WTC crash on 9/11..she was a teacher in New Jersey in a town near the state border with NY and her class was out on her school's roof looking at the fire when the second plane came.

I've had a few close calls, like in 1982ish when I saw two DC-10, one of Capitol Air and another one of American., almost collide in Puerto Rico and then in 1992ish here in Phoenix when I saw an America West 737 and a Delta 727 too close to each other for my own comfort. But I have been lucky not to witness anything like that.

You???

Wow, can you please post the locations of you and your close family members at all times so anyone without a death wish can avoid the area?

I've never seen anything I'd even call a close call. Closest was a rejected takeoff some years back on a US flight. I remember knowing exactly why the takeoff was rejected, too: the plane landing on the intersecting runway was rather closer to my window seat than I was in any way comfortable with, but in reality it was still probably at least a mile away of that runway plus maybe 2,000 feet on ours to the intersection.

N14AZ

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:29 am

I witnessed this one:

(no, not my picture)

I was standing standing rather at the Western end of the runway and one of the jets crashed onto the runway in front of me (but of course in a certain distance = distance between where the audience was allowed to go up to the runway, maybe 200 meters or so..)

N14AZ

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:37 am

TWA772LR wrote:
I believe he witnessed a C5 gear up landing once when he was in the USAF.

I saw such a belly landing as well (in Frankfurt). Happend quite often...

Source: http://www.gg-online.de/html/rhein_main_air_base.htm

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:32 pm

N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.

ReverseFlow

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I wouldn’t say “quite often” over a 50 year history. Several NLG up landings, including one at ETAF and one at KEDW. One unintentional one at KSUU. I think that’s it, but there were other NLG up landings, plane flew a few days later usually. There were multiple ways to extend the gears and multiple landing configurations with partial gear.
My search for ETAF gives me Getafe (LEGT) for some reason.
Where is ETAF?

N14AZ

Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Well, „quite often“ was a little bit nasty from me.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:15 pm

ReverseFlow wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
N14AZ wrote:

Where is ETAF?

Rhein-Main AB, Frankfurt. All German military fields are ETxx.

Kno

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:55 pm

At the Oshkosh air show as a kid - pretty sure crashes happen almost every year there

slcguy

Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:36 am

Not counting numerous minor accidents and incidents in my career at an airport only two real crashes, Both airshow related, KSAF in 1973 maybe 1974. Bellanca Decathlon performing an outside rolling right 360 turn at 300 ft. At about 270 degrees around aircraft lost altitude. Aircraft destroyed one fatal. Second was at KHIF in 1981, USAF Thunderbirds show. The diamond and had just made a pass and was expecting a solo to fly by next, soon thereafter noticed a black mushroom cloud coming up about a mile south of the field. T-38 destroyed one fatal.

B747-437B

Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:09 pm

As the Airport Manager in Mogadishu, I was one of the first responders (about 90 seconds after impact and just behind the lead fire truck) at the accident site of the Ethiopian Air Force An12 on 09AUG13. I was watching the aircraft on approach from my office in the tower and saw the aircraft veer off the runway and into the perimeter fence before cartwheeling and coming to rest.

We were very lucky that we had about 12 minutes on site before the cargo of explosives and ammunition fully ignited, during which we were able to recover 1 fatality and 2 survivors out of the 6 crew. One of the crew had been trapped under debris in the cockpit and a very brave Ugandan military firefighter was able to cut his way into the wreckage to free him. One other fatality was visible trapped in the cockpit but already deceased, and two other fatalities in the fuselage were inaccessible. Those three bodies were subsequently recovered only later in the day after the fires were eventually extinguished.

Initial impact as viewed from tower.

First view of wreckage at final resting site approx. 90 seconds after impact.

Previously trapped FO being helped out of the wreckage. The military firefighter on the left received a medal for his actions in the rescue.

Cargo of explosives/ammunition ignites.

Firefighting effort still underway over an hour later - we expended all of our foam reserves (ICAO CAT 6 levels) trying to control the ammunition fire and had to borrow additional foam from the nearby seaport.

Myself (center in hi-viz vest) with one of the survivors and the Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan and Somali military brass. Most of the frontline military responders received medals for their actions in the rescue and fire control efforts, and many of the civilians (including myself) received commendation citations from the various countries involved (Ethiopia and Somalia in my case).

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:51 pm

Now, that’s a story!! Congratulations and thanks to many brave responders.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:38 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Now, that’s a story!! Congratulations and thanks to many brave responders.

Ditto!

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:54 pm

IADCA wrote:
AntonioMartin wrote:
Just curious...

You???

Wow, can you please post the locations of you and your close family members at all times so anyone without a death wish can avoid the area?

I've never seen anything I'd even call a close call. Closest was a rejected takeoff some years back on a US flight. I remember knowing exactly why the takeoff was rejected, too: the plane landing on the intersecting runway was rather closer to my window seat than I was in any way comfortable with, but in reality it was still probably at least a mile away of that runway plus maybe 2,000 feet on ours to the intersection.

The first two were in/around San Juan. Puerto Rico.

The latter was near Phoenix Sky Harbor. :)

MartijnNL

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:51 pm

N14AZ wrote:
I witnessed this one:

Horrific crash. I remember it well. Glad I wasn't there that day.

ReverseFlow

Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:05 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Where is ETAF?

Rhein-Main AB, Frankfurt. All German military fields are ETxx.
Thanks.
Probably couldn't find it because it no longer exists!

bhxdtw

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:49 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
A family tradition of ours is to sail to the Toronto waterfront and watch the CNE Airshow from the water.

From front row centre, I witnessed three crashes …. a Fairey Firefly, two Canadair Tutors and lastly a Hawker Siddeley Nimrod. I don’t watch air shows any more!

Wow, a Nimrod? I'm sure I can Google it but care to elaborate?

bhxdtw

Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:53 pm

B747-437B wrote:
As the Airport Manager in Mogadishu, I was one of the first responders (about 90 seconds after impact and just behind the lead fire truck) at the accident site of the Ethiopian Air Force An12 on 09AUG13. I was watching the aircraft on approach from my office in the tower and saw the aircraft veer off the runway and into the perimeter fence before cartwheeling and coming to rest.

We were very lucky that we had about 12 minutes on site before the cargo of explosives and ammunition fully ignited, during which we were able to recover 1 fatality and 2 survivors out of the 6 crew. One of the crew had been trapped under debris in the cockpit and a very brave Ugandan military firefighter was able to cut his way into the wreckage to free him. One other fatality was visible trapped in the cockpit but already deceased, and two other fatalities in the fuselage were inaccessible. Those three bodies were subsequently recovered only later in the day after the fires were eventually extinguished.

Initial impact as viewed from tower.

First view of wreckage at final resting site approx. 90 seconds after impact.

Previously trapped FO being helped out of the wreckage. The military firefighter on the left received a medal for his actions in the rescue.

Cargo of explosives/ammunition ignites.

Firefighting effort still underway over an hour later - we expended all of our foam reserves (ICAO CAT 6 levels) trying to control the ammunition fire and had to borrow additional foam from the nearby seaport.

Myself (center in hi-viz vest) with one of the survivors and the Ethiopian, Ugandan, Kenyan and Somali military brass. Most of the frontline military responders received medals for their actions in the rescue and fire control efforts, and many of the civilians (including myself) received commendation citations from the various countries involved (Ethiopia and Somalia in my case).

Wow mate, you're the kind of guy I'd love to buy a coffee and let you tell me stories from your job. Not glorifying anything per se but I always appreciate listening and interacting with those who can share stories and history of interesting lives lived.

CrewBunk

Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:15 am

bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:28 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Technically it was “pilot error”. In fact all three crashes were. The Nimrod pilots were tightening a dumbbell turn by reducing speed and power. This went beyond the capability of the aircraft. All seven aboard were lost.

Heartbreaking

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Oct 09, 2022 5:33 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Looking at the video of the crash, it's almost like a carbon copy of the B-52 crash at Fairchild AFB, also involving pilot error.

bhxdtw

Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:00 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Wow... that's crazy. Weren't they based on the old comet design? So sad for those involved

CrewBunk

Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:48 am

bhxdtw wrote:
Wow... that's crazy. Weren't they based on the old comet design? So sad for those involved

I have always been a huge Comet fan, (I even flew on a Dan-Air Comet LGW-PMI-LGW on a one day turn in 1980, as the end of the Comet was near. A third of the passengers were doing the same). So, it wasn’t a surprise that I was out on the water that day to watch an evolution of the Comet.

You could almost squint at the Nimrod and see it’s lean Comet roots. Granted the Speys were a little quieter than the Avons. On my boat that day were five pilots and we marvelled at the Nimrod as she performed her manoeuvres. Entering into the last turn, you could see the combination of low speed and high bank angle was not good. Someone said “that’s not going to work”.

After it crashed the silence on the water was startling. I just said to one of my buddies “raise the sea anchor please”. I started the engine and head back home, not even bothering to hoist the sails. About ten minutes later, the Snowbirds flew past in the “missing man” formation. Still, no one said a word.

It was heartbreaking.

flymad

Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:42 am

CrewBunk wrote:
bhxdtw wrote:

I have always been a huge Comet fan, (I even flew on a Dan-Air Comet LGW-PMI-LGW on a one day turn in 1980, as the end of the Comet was near. A third of the passengers were doing the same). So, it wasn’t a surprise that I was out on the water that day to watch an evolution of the Comet.

You could almost squint at the Nimrod and see it’s lean Comet roots. Granted the Speys were a little quieter than the Avons. On my boat that day were five pilots and we marvelled at the Nimrod as she performed her manoeuvres. Entering into the last turn, you could see the combination of low speed and high bank angle was not good. Someone said “that’s not going to work”.

After it crashed the silence on the water was startling. I just said to one of my buddies “raise the sea anchor please”. I started the engine and head back home, not even bothering to hoist the sails. About ten minutes later, the Snowbirds flew past in the “missing man” formation. Still, no one said a word.

It was heartbreaking.

Getting cold chills reading this!

CMA727

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:20 pm

I witnessed a C-97 that crashed in Mexico City in 1987 take off from MEX before it crashed. It barely lifted up.
That year I saw a Cessna 310 overfly Mexico City at very low height. I later learned it crashed on a street.
Almost at the time frame I saw an ultralight crash in a field in southern Mexico.
3 years ago at an Air Show in Santa Lucía I witnessed how a parachuter struggled to get her parachute fully opended. She was injured.

DrPaul

Mon Oct 17, 2022 11:41 pm

The closest I've been to a crash was when the Airspeed Ambassador G-AMAD came to grief at Heathrow in 1968 https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19680703-0. I was living in Richmond, Surrey at the time, and I saw it on the approach to the then runway 28 Right. I wondered why nothing followed it in, and next morning learnt what had happened to it. Nowadays, of course, we have in-time tracking and would know immediately if something had gone wrong.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:12 am

Never did see a crash in real life, besides video footage reports. However I'm acquaintances with the photographer of this picture.

My cousin also witnessed the aftermath of a mid-air collision between two helicopters back in 2020, one of which was piloted by the former CEO of MH (who landed safely). The crash site was just a few hundred meters from my former home.

Chemist

Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:01 pm

Aptivaboy wrote:
F/A-18 crash at the El Toro MCAS air show, about 1987 or 1988.

This might be the one I saw as well. Did he come out of a loop too low and pancaked? I believe the guy I saw survived, but I thought it was an F-14.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:30 pm

Yes, too low at the top to make around the bottom. He survived with critical injuries.

Aptivaboy

Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:03 pm

Yep, that's the one. He apparently told the trained and cleared airshow pilot to depart, and he took over with minimal training on the routine. But, when you're a Lt. Colonel, rank has its privileges. He was doing a very low loop and just ran out of altitude. He totaled a nearly new F/A-18A but survived with disabling injuries. He was lucky to be able to walk again afterwards.

POWDERFINGER

Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:38 am

UsAir 405, March 22, 1992.

I was with some other pilots in a hotel lounge, next to La Guardia airport. We could see the runways and Flushing bay. No one was really watching, but then we heard another person say, "Hey, look at the airport. Something just happened." I turned to look, and there were flashing red lights moving toward RWY 31. It was during the evening, and misty, but we could make out a bunch of fire / rescue vehicles and people just arriving at the embankment where the Fokker-28 had flipped over and entered the waters.

Over the next months, I saw various stages of the salvage - including the day the nose section was hauled away on a flatbed truck. Some of the #1 cockpit windshield on the copilot's side was bashed in and shattered. I had wondered if it was the copilot who had struck it during the accident.

It made me really careful about getting deiced and respecting holdover times.

YYZSpotter1991

Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:42 pm

I didn't see any directly, but I remember seeing the wreckage of AF358 the day after it crashed in August 2005. I was with my dad as he drove from work down the 401, and saw the right westbound lane slowing to a crawl. This was because that stretch was right in front of the ravine where the plane burst into flames, and drivers were stopping to see the site. We were in the eastbound lanes, so I could see part of the aircraft from my vantage point, but not as much as they were able to see from that overpass.

A few weeks later was an airshow in Oshawa (an hour east of Toronto), but I opted not to go (because of the rain in the forecast). Good thing I didn't, because there was a crash at that airshow.