Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adambrau
Topic Author

Is now a good time to become an FA for United?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:53 am

Hi All,

Reaching out to the collective wisdom of this board.

Recently got a job offer to become a flight attendant from UA mainline.

Currently employed by another airline with 4 years seniority. But I want to work for UA.

While US Airlines are doing well, it seems an economic recession of some degree is heading our way. Curious to hear how other FA's and FF's feel about changing jobs now - is going to the bottom of the seniority list a bad idea at this time?

Appreciate all input.

Thanks!

Tkt96

Re: Is now a good time to become an FA for United?

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:45 am

Just looking at mainline aircraft deliveries over the next few years I would say yes now is a good time. Lots of growth at UAL while its regional aircraft fleets shrink.

Jamake1

Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:56 am

United has approximately 500 aircraft on order. That means tremendous opportunities for growth. The company is well-positioned with its hub structure and vast international route network. The company also has a strategic advantage because pilots are fleeing smaller-tier carriers such as Alaska and Spirit and jumping over to United. Pilots want to work for United. Because this is the case, the company is better positioned to weather the ongoing pilot shortage.

Being on reserve isn't going to be easy, but reserve F/A's fly both international and North American routes. Reserves can also pick up more desirable trips on their days off to augment their income. I believe that United CEO Scott Kirby is one of the smartest men in the business. I personally like the direction he is taking the company and I think he is the most visionary CEO the company has had since Stephen Wolf (1988-1994). If opportunity is knocking, I highly recommend that you answer the door. I jumped ship from a smaller carrier 27 years ago; shut the door and never looked back. During my time at UA, I've put myself through university while flying full time; I was based (and lived) in London for 4 years (the absolute highlight of my career); I have worked numerous special assignment projects; and currently fly as an International Purser. There is ample opportunity to write your own ticket within Inflight, or to go into other areas of management if that is your ultimate goal. The key to sustained job satisfaction is making the job work for you...and there are ample opportunities to do that. I won't sugar-coat the topic of commuting. I strongly discourage flight attendants...especially reserve F/A's...from commuting. Commuting is stressful and very time consuming. It really diminishes the quality of one's work life by constantly having to plan and strategize how to get to work with full flights, weather delays, and competing with senior crews for a jump seat. Hanging out in a crash pad while on reserve isn't a set up for success and job satisfaction. Be willing to relocate to where you will be based. My two cents. Best of luck to you.

MIflyer12

Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:09 am

adambrau wrote:
While US Airlines are doing well, it seems an economic recession of some degree is heading our way. Curious to hear how other FA's and FF's feel about changing jobs now - is going to the bottom of the seniority list a bad idea at this time?

I'm not an FA so I'll come at this from a different direction.

Are you too risk-averse to live with being at the bottom of the seniority list with the prospect of a recession looming? Could you live on the unemployment benefits of the state to which you might (be forced to, due to commuting issues) relocate? Does your current seniority give you significant insulation from a downturn?

MDC862

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Interesting.
One response is the glass is half full; the 2nd is the glass is half empty.

With 4 years senority you know the in and out. Now.go with your decision.

adambrau
Topic Author

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:48 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
United has approximately 500 aircraft on order. That means tremendous opportunities for growth. The company is well-positioned with its hub structure and vast international route network. The company also has a strategic advantage because pilots are fleeing smaller-tier carriers such as Alaska and Spirit and jumping over to United. Pilots want to work for United. Because this is the case, the company is better positioned to weather the ongoing pilot shortage.

Being on reserve isn't going to be easy, but reserve F/A's fly both international and North American routes. Reserves can also pick up more desirable trips on their days off to augment their income. I believe that United CEO Scott Kirby is one of the smartest men in the business. I personally like the direction he is taking the company and I think he is the most visionary CEO the company has had since Stephen Wolf (1988-1994). If opportunity is knocking, I highly recommend that you answer the door. I jumped shipped from a smaller carrier 27 years ago; shut the door and never looked back. During my time at UA, I've put myself through university while flying full time; I was based (and lived) in London for 4 years (the absolute highlight of my career); I have worked numerous special assignment projects; and currently fly as an International Purser. There is ample opportunity to write your own ticket within Inflight, or to go into other areas of management if that is your ultimate goal. The key to sustained job satisfaction is making the job work for you...and there are ample opportunities to do that. I won't sugar-coat the topic of commuting. I strongly discourage flight attendants...especially reserve F/A's...from commuting. Commuting is stressful and very time consuming. It really diminishes the quality of one's work life by constantly having to plan and strategize how to get to work with full flights, weather delays, and competing with senior crews for a jump seat. Hanging out in a crash pad while on reserve isn't a set up for success and job satisfaction. Be willing to relocate to where you will be based. My two cents. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for your great response I really appreciate all the time you and other posters have taken to respond to a very random post.

Yeah decision time is coming soon for me.

I do work ground ops for a major int'l carrier at JFK currently.

One question I have - Do you think I would have a good chance of getting EWR as my base assignment? UA told us we do get to put in a preference for base assignments in the first week of training. I live in NYC so any input would really help me hedge my bets.

Thanks!

Adam

Jamake1

Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:29 am

I think your chances of getting based in EWR are excellent.

adambrau
Topic Author

Sun Oct 09, 2022 3:21 pm

Jamake1 wrote:
I think your chances of getting based in EWR are excellent.

Thanks Jamake1.

Just got the email that I passed my language proficiency test (French) so will be a LQFA.

Very excited to be joining UA!!

Jamake1

Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:39 am

Congratulations!

eta unknown

Fri Oct 21, 2022 11:19 am

I'd prefer on the ground with AF, but if you want to work in the sky...