Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Garuda200
Topic Author

Why Thai Airways still has many Europe destinations

Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:43 am

Im kinda new in Airliners.Net and i've been wondering why Thai still flies to FRA, ZRH, LHR, CDG, OSL, ARN and CPH while MH and GA just have 1

Do the flights yield lots of passengers from these routes or is there some other reason

CRJ900

Re: Why Thai Airways still has many Europe destinations

Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:46 am

Thailand has been and still is(?) a very popular holiday choice for many Europeans. Indonesia and Malaysia not so much...

MrHMSH

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:21 am

Garuda200 wrote:
Im kinda new in Airliners.Net and i've been wondering why Thai still flies to FRA, ZRH, LHR, CDG, OSL, ARN and CPH while MH and GA just have 1

Do the flights yield lots of passengers from these routes or is there some other reason

BKK is closer to Europe than KUL or CGK (even LHR is just around 12hrs), and Thailand is a bigger draw for tourists than Malaysia or Indonesia (at least from Europe). I believe they codeshare with LH, LX and SK, which would be an explanation for FRA, ZRH, OSL, ARN and CPH as well. CGK is not only quite far, but I also believe the runway wasn't suitable for the heavies at MTOW?

smi0006

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:22 am

And whilst it has diminished over the years TG, and BKK used to be a popular connection points for Aussies going to Europe, along of course with SQ, and MH. Then the ME3 came along, and also the Chinese3 picking up the bottom yield. But still a fairly decent amount of connections

kriskim

Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:26 am

CRJ900 wrote:
Thailand has been and still is(?) a very popular holiday choice for many Europeans. Indonesia and Malaysia not so much...

I agree, in terms of tourism, Thailand has cemented itself as a popular destination for tourists from Europe.

I’m thinking that Vietnam could also potentially reach the same status with Thailand in the future.

Melbourne

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:06 am

Garuda200 wrote:

Their European destinations used to be much larger then that too; Athens, Amsterdam, Vienna, Milan, Oslo, Madrid, Barcelona even Helsinki at one point back in the 90s but I don't think that lasted very long other then Helsinki most of the others lasted until at least the early 2010s.

Besides Thai a lot of the European carriers operate/operated into BKK with onward destinations such as SYD, MEL, HKG, NRT with an example being Olympic Airways flying;

ATH-BKK-SYD-MEL
ATH-BKK-MEL-SYD
ATH-BKK-NRT

Garuda200
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:06 am

CRJ900 wrote:

I kinda think that Bali is very overshadowed by Thailand as a tourist destination

Garuda200
Topic Author

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:08 am

Melbourne wrote:
Garuda200 wrote:

Their European destinations used to be much larger then that too; Athens, Amsterdam, Vienna, Milan, Oslo, Madrid, Barcelona even Helsinki at one point back in the 90s but I don't think that lasted very long other then Helsinki most of the others lasted until at least the early 2010s.

Besides Thai a lot of the European carriers operate/operated into BKK with onward destinations such as SYD, MEL, HKG, NRT with an example being Olympic Airways flying;

ATH-BKK-SYD-MEL
ATH-BKK-MEL-SYD
ATH-BKK-NRT

Isn't BKK like used for 5th freedom flights

BobMUC

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:13 am

Garuda200 wrote:

Add MUC to this list... and Thailand is the most important tourist destination in Asia for Germany from my point of view.

Polot

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:19 am

Garuda200 wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

I kinda think that Bali is very overshadowed by Thailand as a tourist destination

Bali tourism is dominated by Australians and Chinese. Thailand is generally still far more popular with Europeans.

vhtje

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:26 am

Garuda200 wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

Um, no. In 2019, Thailand welcomed 39.8 million tourists. Bali 'just' 6.3 million. Even if you add all of Indonesia, it's still dwarfed by Thailand, with 16.11 million tourists visiting Indonesia.

Source: Statista

davidjohnson6

Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:28 am

Perhaps worth remembering that Bali is an extra 3h 30m flight time from Europe compared to Bangkok or Phuket. Even with oil cheaper than it is now, that's going to affect the cost in a meaningful way.
That's ignoring that some aircraft may not be able to fly from some cities in NW Europe to Bali without refuelling on the way - so reducing fleet flexibility for an airline.
One might conclude that there are more than enough people in places nearer to Bali than Europe - e.g. China, Korea, Japan and Australasia - for Bali to market itself to - spending heavily to persuade people to come from *much* farther away might be a wasted effort

MrHMSH

Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:29 pm

vhtje wrote:
Garuda200 wrote:
CRJ900 wrote:

Um, no. In 2019, Thailand welcomed 39.8 million tourists. Bali 'just' 6.3 million. Even if you add all of Indonesia, it's still dwarfed by Thailand, with 16.11 million tourists visiting Indonesia.

Source: Statista

I think you misread, 'overshadowed' means surpassed, essentially. So 'overshadowed by Thailand' in this case means that Thailand is a much bigger tourist destination.

Mortyman

Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:34 pm

Thai Airways use Boeing 777-300 on the OSL route. In the past they have even used the Boeing 747 and the Airbus 340. One of very few airlines that has used the Boeing 747 to OSL