Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

If you could time travel back to any airport

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:12 am

Basically, if you could time travel to planespot at any airport, in any time period in the 20th century, what would it be?

I would like to go to ATL around 20-30 years ago to see all the L1011s and 727s, but I've got to give a mention to FRA because AFAIK DL inherited some routes to like BUD/VIE/WAW from PanAm that originated from FRA. Would have been interesting to see DL 727s in Frankfurt!

I also gotta give a mention to NRT in 2008-10, back when it was full of DL widebodies and NW 744s.

Fuling

Re: If you could time travel back to any airport

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:43 am

1000% Hong Kong's Kai Tak.

ACDC8

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:07 am

Fuling wrote:
1000% Hong Kong's Kai Tak.

Is any further discussion about this really needed? I think not.

Kai Tak - no question.

Newark727

Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:24 am

Kai Tak! Kai Tak! Kai Tak!

PSAatSAN4Ever

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:02 pm

LAX.

I want to drive around Surfridge before it was closed off.

I want to see airlines' operations before the U-shaped terminal system was built.

I want to see all the now non-existent airlines proudly showing their tails off.

I especially want to see the filming, in 1979, of the exterior shots for "Airplane!".

I also want to walk, one last time, down that mosaic tile-lined underground walkway for Terminal 3, leading to TWA.

conaly

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:27 pm

Kai Tak for sure. I'd also add Berlin Tempelhof.

SFOThinker

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:09 pm

Amon Carter Field/ Greater Southwest International airport and its beautiful terminal

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:35 pm

Kai Tak.

KPTKRampy

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:41 pm

Willow Run Airport back when it was considered to be detroit’s main airport, seeing all of those 707’s and 727’s would be cool

Yflyer

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:50 pm

Ok, Kai Tak, sure.

But also, JFK in the 1960s. I want to see the Pan Am Worldport and TWA Flight Center in their heyday, when they were shiny new active terminals, and before they had security checkpoints added.

CarlosSi

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:53 pm

Oh Kai Tak for sure. I honestly anticipated most people would say the same. I need not say more.

Also Robert Muller Municipal (former AUS). I vaguely remember it. I recall seeing aircraft crossing the highway into the clearing of what was runway 13R, and how long it stayed undeveloped. Also my earliest memories being at the cargo ramp with my dad right by what was probably a BAX DC8.

If I had to list a 3rd one….. don’t have one, but I hope SAN doesn’t join that list soon.

Oh here’s one: STL. It’s still around but it’s a shell of its former self.

Hah, I wasn’t the only one to word it as “Kai Tak for sure”.

CMA727

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:18 am

LHR in mid 1976 after Concorde began scheduled services to Bahrain and LHR was crowded with 747´s !

CMA727

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:21 am

LHR in mid 1976 after Concorde began scheduled services to Bahrain and LHR was crowded with 747´s !

MohawkWeekend

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:23 am

Idlewild (JFK) 1962 early evening on a warm cloudless day in June.
Bet you could see the smoke trails for 50 miles. The smell of unburnt fuel would probably get you dizzy.

phatfarmlines

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:27 am

Lately, I've been looking for old terminal photos to get a better feel for what they were like before they were demolished. Very hard to come by for terminals like JFK old T1 and old T4, and SJU terminal photos from the 1970s-1980s.

YouTube is by far the best source for the time machine - check out this gem from a SR trip report JFK-ZRH in 1992.

Right from the start to the 0:18 time marker appears to be a waiting area for a flight at the JFK IAB. If anyone can explain what we are looking at for the first 18 seconds, I can appreciate it!

Swissair 747 flight New York - Zurich 1992

Source: YouTube user Peter Kelsall

seat1a

Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:42 am

Growing up in Dearborn, Mi., in the late 60s/70s, I don't think I ever really saw Willow Run. But I have great memories of Detroit Metro (was Smith Terminal at the south end?). You would drive in, the 'new and modern' United terminal was on the left, then a hotel, then a small ramp to the right where you could park in a small lot. No major fences. Fondly remember a Delta DC9, and an Eastern 727. You walked in a door, through package pickup, up an escalator to the main lobby upstairs and their were counters for Northwest Orient, United, Braniff, American, Delta, Aeronaves de Mexico.

Damn, miss those days. Oh and a BOAC VC-10 and KLM DC8s.

phatfarmlines

Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:27 am

seat1a wrote:
Growing up in Dearborn, Mi., in the late 60s/70s, I don't think I ever really saw Willow Run. But I have great memories of Detroit Metro (was Smith Terminal at the south end?). You would drive in, the 'new and modern' United terminal was on the left, then a hotel, then a small ramp to the right where you could park in a small lot. No major fences. Fondly remember a Delta DC9, and an Eastern 727. You walked in a door, through package pickup, up an escalator to the main lobby upstairs and their were counters for Northwest Orient, United, Braniff, American, Delta, Aeronaves de Mexico.

Was the hotel at the Davey Terminal (current site of the North/Evans Terminal)?

davidjohnson6

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:07 pm

Kitty Hawk, 17-Dec-1903
No othe planespotting opportunity could possibly come close to this

seat1a

Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:00 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
seat1a wrote:

I believe so but have not been back since I flew out of the new airport years ago. Davey was a tall dark concrete structure with glass. Thought it was exclusively United. There was a parking structure across the access road. There was an 'international' terminal that was just north of Davey too, not sure it had a name. It was big news when it was constructed.

vegasplanes

Thu Nov 03, 2022 9:57 pm

seat1a wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:
seat1a wrote:

I believe so but have not been back since I flew out of the new airport years ago. Davey was a tall dark concrete structure with glass. Thought it was exclusively United. There was a parking structure across the access road. There was an 'international' terminal that was just north of Davey too, not sure it had a name. It was big news when it was constructed.

The hotel was a Marriott in the '80's and '90's -- attached to the Davey terminal (concourses D,E,F) F was United, E was North Central, D was a hodgepodge (pre-Republic Airlines) or early 80's and prior. Smith terminal was the original terminal, south of Davey, concourses A (Northwest), B (American), and C (Delta, TWA). Berry was the "newest" terminal and was the International terminal in the early '70's and on, home of Pan Am, BOAC/BA, etc.

Would have been nice to visit MIA in the '70's/'80's to see the "unique" operators flying WWII era equipment down to the islands and beyond.

MartijnNL

Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:23 pm

Airports in the United States before 9/11. Airside access for everyone. Made planespotting so much easier than nowadays.

phatfarmlines

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:11 am

Here's one for HND in 1990. Looks like the airport expansion is underway and operations continue at the original terminal where the current rebuilt international terminal sits today.

羽田 ➡ 大阪伊丹 B747 1990年/93年 ANA/JAL Tokyo Haneda to Osaka 1990/1993

Source: YouTube user kamepo

LTEN11

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:30 am

Miami, late 70's, early 80's. Lots of props, lots of smokey jets, relatively new widebodies and lots of airline variety.

seat1a

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:41 am

vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

The hotel was a Marriott in the '80's and '90's -- attached to the Davey terminal (concourses D,E,F) F was United, E was North Central, D was a hodgepodge (pre-Republic Airlines) or early 80's and prior. Smith terminal was the original terminal, south of Davey, concourses A (Northwest), B (American), and C (Delta, TWA). Berry was the "newest" terminal and was the International terminal in the early '70's and on, home of Pan Am, BOAC/BA, etc.

Would have been nice to visit MIA in the '70's/'80's to see the "unique" operators flying WWII era equipment down to the islands and beyond.

Thanks - I forgot about North Central. I liked the Smith terminal, too. Wasn't there a bank of offices on the second level (or Mezzanine?) in addition some lounges. I remember the ribbed window blocks in the hallways between concourses.

Max Q

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:53 am

Definitely Kai Tak in the ‘70’s

vegasplanes

Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:49 am

seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Thanks - I forgot about North Central. I liked the Smith terminal, too. Wasn't there a bank of offices on the second level (or Mezzanine?) in addition some lounges. I remember the ribbed window blocks in the hallways between concourses.

You're welcome. Agree about the Smith terminal, grew up flying AA, their ticket desks never moved from the time the Smith terminal opened until it closed. The only airline at DTW that never moved within the Smith/Davey/Berry complex.

Yes, there was the hallway between B and C in Smith with the ribbed windows, there was a lounge/bar along there, above on the second floor were airline offices and the AA Admirals Club looking out air-side. The offices were above the ticket desks on the land-side of the terminal.

seat1a

Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:25 am

vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:

You're welcome. Agree about the Smith terminal, grew up flying AA, their ticket desks never moved from the time the Smith terminal opened until it closed. The only airline at DTW that never moved within the Smith/Davey/Berry complex.

Yes, there was the hallway between B and C in Smith with the ribbed windows, there was a lounge/bar along there, above on the second floor were airline offices and the AA Admirals Club looking out air-side. The offices were above the ticket desks on the land-side of the terminal.

Oh that's right, the Admiral's Club was upstairs. I still have the hat my dad earned being a member. Jim Laurie (Lawrie) was a station manager or something like that in the late 60s and a neighbor. He gave us a tour of the huge AA maintenance building on the East side of the airport.

Do you recall the airlines that were at the East end of the Davey terminal? I want to say those counters were perpendicular to the AA counter.

zrs70

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:23 pm

Definitely Boston. The depth and breadth of European 747’s in the 1980’s was vast.

The allure of the Eastern Airlines Terminal was magnificent.

The views from the observation lounge (16th floor of the control tower building) was unparalleled.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:37 pm

Another addition: I wanna go to SXM in the late 90s because like 3 airlines flew 747s into there and there were also DC-10s and other interesting aircraft instead of A320s and 737s from random US airlines like you see these days.

PI4EVER

Fri Nov 04, 2022 4:35 pm

DCA in the 60's. The Mezzanine level above the Eastern ticket counters faced the glass facade of the builing with sweeping views of the runways and the Capitol and Washington Monument.
I spent many hours in that terminal and for exercise and plane spotting friends and I would walk from the A gates to the North Terminal. Get a takeout lunch from the upper level Cafeteria and go sit and eat in the Mezzanine. DCA/Washington will always be like home and even with all the current day changes to the entire terminal area, it is still very nostalgic to remember my young(er) and fun years at DCA.

eta unknown

Fri Nov 04, 2022 7:03 pm

KAI TAK! Someone upthread mentioned LAX pre-Olympic game reconstruction... I remember it- absolutely awful!

BlindMarshall

Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:39 am

College Park, Maryland, 1926. I chose the airport because of its historical significance. I chose the date because it seemed good... business picking up but the depression had not hit yet. Why would anyone want to go back to the great depression era:)

se210

Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:31 pm

Since there were several mentions of Detroit airports in this forum topic, here are some historical photo weblinks from the Wayne State University Libraries - Digital Collections - Airport showing:

Here are some examples:
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Click on the above thumbnails and the thumbnails in the weblinks to see a large photo.

gunsontheroof

Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:40 am

Kai Tak is the pretty obvious choice. Wartime BFI would be cool, JFK in the 1970s, PAE in 1969…

phatfarmlines

Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:09 pm

Here's a video TR from 1987. DEN to SFO on CO. Brief view of the departure gate at DEN Stapleton. The rebuilding of Boarding Area C at SFO is underway. Arrival into Rotunda A at SFO.

From Denver to San Francisco on Continental Airlines in 1987

Source: YouTube user "5ninthavenueproject"

vegasplanes

Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:43 am

seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:

Oh that's right, the Admiral's Club was upstairs. I still have the hat my dad earned being a member. Jim Laurie (Lawrie) was a station manager or something like that in the late 60s and a neighbor. He gave us a tour of the huge AA maintenance building on the East side of the airport.

Do you recall the airlines that were at the East end of the Davey terminal? I want to say those counters were perpendicular to the AA counter.

That's excellent that you were able to tour the maintenance facility! The AA team at DTW back in those days seemed to be well run and tight nit, recalling the quilt that hung at the AA gates in B made by the Crew for the 50th anniversary of AA service in Detroit. I recall reading each square way back when, the DC-10 with the drooping belly representing AA Cargo standing out.

AA counters were in Smith, on the westside of the check-in lobby straight in once walking into the check-in lobby from the landside departure curb. Perpendicular to AA (north) was Delta, which was there as long as I can remember, Northwest was perpendicular south of AA in Smith prior to moving to Davie, which at the end of the Smith terminal's life was Southwest's counters.

seat1a

Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:01 pm

vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:

That's excellent that you were able to tour the maintenance facility! The AA team at DTW back in those days seemed to be well run and tight nit, recalling the quilt that hung at the AA gates in B made by the Crew for the 50th anniversary of AA service in Detroit. I recall reading each square way back when, the DC-10 with the drooping belly representing AA Cargo standing out.

AA counters were in Smith, on the westside of the check-in lobby straight in once walking into the check-in lobby from the landside departure curb. Perpendicular to AA (north) was Delta, which was there as long as I can remember, Northwest was perpendicular south of AA in Smith prior to moving to Davie, which at the end of the Smith terminal's life was Southwest's counters.

Thank you. Was AA next to TWA at that end? Do you remember when Braniff had a small desk as you entered on the East side. Delta was perpendicular to them.

I remember the quilt. Thank you so much for mentioning that!!!

fry530

Fri Nov 11, 2022 8:56 pm

For me it would be Stapleton, early 90's before it closed or really any other time. I grew up and still live in Denver, but was too young to remember Stapleton when it closed. It would be so cool to go back and see all the action at that airport that once sat in the area I drive through all the time.

But to second some others, Kai Tak, old Heathrow, and old JFK would be so cool.

Mortyman

Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:41 pm

FBU Fornebu airport, Oslo. Closed down in 1998 and now defunct

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oslo_Airport,_Fornebu

vegasplanes

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:21 am

seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:
]

Thank you. Was AA next to TWA at that end? Do you remember when Braniff had a small desk as you entered on the East side. Delta was perpendicular to them.

You're welcome, nice discussion.

Yes, I recall TWA was to the right of AA as was the original Midway, United was to the left of AA when looking at the ticket counters. Yep, the Braniff desk was an island.

The uniqueness of having new cars on display in the ticketing area of Smith was a nice touch to Detroit. I do not recall another airport which had that feature. And it did not carry-over to the North Terminal or the Delta terminal/Northwest Worldport.

N14AZ

Sat Nov 12, 2022 2:39 pm

LTEN11 wrote:
Miami, late 70's, early 80's. Lots of props, lots of smokey jets, relatively new widebodies and lots of airline variety.

Exactly! Was a Teenager at that time and fascinated by all the pictures I saw in my planespotter magazines (Jetstream etc.):

Second airport: La Paz… :cloudnine:

seat1a

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:47 pm

vegasplanes wrote:
seat1a wrote:
vegasplanes wrote:
]

You're welcome, nice discussion.

Yes, I recall TWA was to the right of AA as was the original Midway, United was to the left of AA when looking at the ticket counters. Yep, the Braniff desk was an island.

The uniqueness of having new cars on display in the ticketing area of Smith was a nice touch to Detroit. I do not recall another airport which had that feature. And it did not carry-over to the North Terminal or the Delta terminal/Northwest Worldport.

I remember the cars. I recall most of them were at the AA end of the terminal. Perpendicular to AA and UA was Aeronaves de Mexico? Was there another airline there too? I remember there were escalators that went to the lower level.

Taking me back down memory lane.

CrewBunk

Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:31 pm

The Marine Air Terminal at LaGuardia, in 1940, when it opened.

Of course, that would also mean I was about to climb aboard a Boeing 314. That can only be good.

davidjohnson6

Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:49 pm

Doesn't anybody else have a desire to time travel back to Kitty Hawk in 1903 ? Imagine the excitement of seeing the world's first ever powered controlled flight with Orville and Wilbur Wright...
Surely this would be more worthwhile than Kai Tak in Hong Kong ? (And yes, I have flown in and out of Kai Tak and watched aircraft flying in/out of there)

macsog6

Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:08 pm

Croydon - London in the 1930's

petertenthije

Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:23 am

Often mentioned, but worth repeating nonetheless: Kai Tak
Any of the Berlin airports during the Berlin airlift.
Some of the soviet airbases in eastern Europe after the collapse of the soviet union. From what I've seen and heard from older spotters, seeing dozens if not hundreds of planes pulling back to Russia must have been an impressive sight.

N1120A

Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:07 am

Kai Tak for sure. I was lucky enough to use both Tegel and Tempelhof. I have distant memories of Riem, but that would be a cool return. The LAX of my youth, with the bubble buildings at T2 when the original Bradley was incomplete.

vatveng

Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 pm

Stapleton, Kai Tak, and Tempelhof.

Kai Tak because of the experience landing there.

Tempelhof because of the huge covered apron.

And Stapleton because my grandparents lived in Denver and as a child I flew with my family into Stapleton several times. I would love to be able to explore it as an adult aviation enthusiast.

BoeingERJ1000

Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:15 pm

Kai Tak, no doubt.
Someone also mentioned MIA in the 70's and 80's. I agree, from what I've heard there was a lot of aircraft variety there.
I'd also like to have seen DTW during the 90's when it was a Northwest hub, just to see my favorite livery in person.
Lastly, I remember hearing that before Hurricane Katrina, MSY (an airport I flew out of often) had service from several overseas carriers. That would be interesting to see.